Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seem to be many theories on whether to use LLC or not. This question has also been augmented with the inclusion of different levels of LLC on modern boards. I've had chips in which I need LLC enabled to achieve stability, and I've have chips(my 2500k) that don't seem to like it very much.

This post is also meant to help those Sandybridge users who are encountering the 0x124 / 0x101 BSOD. This method, after trying all the others to no avail, has alleviated the problem for me. Again, this has simply been my experience with LLC and my attempt to explain the reasons why I believe it helps stability.

This is an excerpt from a post I made to a thread involving BSODs on a 2500k:

"I noticed I was BSODing when gaming and when Idle/browsing the internet, NOT when stress testing. With this observation, I came to the conclusion that my system was BSODing when the multiplier was rasied to MAX but the processor wasn't quite at full load. I don't think the mobo was supplying enough power to the proc under light to moderate load scenarios. When LLC is on ultra, the core voltage increases with processor load, being at the highest when the system is at full load. When LLC is not on, or on a lower setting, the processor pumps the most volts into the processor before full load. So when you find that you're proc is stable @ 1.35v full load and LLC is on ultra, during light loading it will still be running at the overclocked speed but with less volts going into it causing instability. LLC being lower gives to a cushion to fall on in a sense, for example, if your proc is stable @ 1.35v full load(accounting for vdroop) and LLC is off, before it hits full load the volts are going to be around 1.37 or so. Therefore the unstable area when the processor is at a moderate load disappears."

I REALLY hope that made sense. I might have to reword some of this stuff later.

This is simply a theory of mine.

I hope that helps some people in their quest for stability!

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
yea I mean it makes sense, but most LLC settings aren't supposed to increase voltage from idle to load, only the max LLC settings do. Normal LLC is reducing the drop in voltage under load, so instead of being 1.35v idle and 1.3v load it will be 1.34v load. What you are talking about is being 1.35v idle and like 1.37v load. in that case it would make sense to BDOS is load was lower and you need 1.37v to be stable.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post

yea I mean it makes sense, but most LLC settings aren't supposed to increase voltage from idle to load, only the max LLC settings do. Normal LLC is reducing the drop in voltage under load, so instead of being 1.35v idle and 1.3v load it will be 1.34v load. What you are talking about is being 1.35v idle and like 1.37v load. in that case it would make sense to BDOS is load was lower and you need 1.37v to be stable.
Of course. With this in mind though, LLC was created as a safety net.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Is there any place where I can read up on LLC... or the offset and fixed modes for the VCore?

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
you can read about LLC in Intel's datasheet. it was designed to drop the CPu Vcore in proportion to the load so that in instances of large transients where large current steps occurred, the resulting voltage spike from massive charging and discharging cycles of the capacitors and inductors wouldn't hurt the CPU. You can try one of my OC guides, or google it. LLC is to combat this drop in voltage under load, but the Load Line has an equation to determine the droop, the slope of that line is what LLC changes, really to bring the slope closer to 0. You know what slope of a line is right? Rise over run? sometimes i forget a lot of you haven't taken algebra because you might be too young.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had the same issue with my i5 2500K 4.5 Ghz OC. I found I was bsodding (?)lol, while browsing, but flew through stress tests. I had to put LLC on auto and lower the actual cpu pll voltage to 1.7000 with internal pll disabled and an overvoltage set to minus (-) 0.020v. This seemed to keep voltages low, 1.288v at full load, and .944 at idle (1600 Mhz) and OC stable. I thought for a while it was memory settings, but they are at 1600 Mhz and everything seems fine.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

I have also encountered those pesky x124 BSOD only when on IDLE/light web browsing yet it can pass 20 runs with 30k packet size on 1.345V on 4.9. I've brought it down to 4.8 and so far haven't experienced a BSOD yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts