Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a build that would challenge me and speak to me. I wanted a build that would represent who I am, as we do when we build. So when I decided to upgrade from my Coolermaster Strom trooper I had to go with Thermaltake's "The Tower" 900. A friend of mine was obsessed with it for a while, but didn't have the space at home for it (neither did I!) but I saw the size of the case and I instantly saw a challenge and wanted it. I threw in all my parts and it looked awesome even those it was only air cooled! I then decided to step it up and upgrade to two independent water cooled loops just as the case was intended for. I wanted to be different so I decided instead of the conventional tubing I was going to use Copper piping. Immediately the chassis was not the centerpiece of the build, but a showcase for the fact that copper piping was going into this thing! I've done some work on it so some of these posts might me retroactive, so bear with me.

Chassis
The Tower 900:

Copper Piping
First off let me tell you this is obviously far more expensive that regular tubing but trust me you aren't prepared for the costs, and that's all relevant. I went with Soft Coil Type-L 3/8 ID (1/2 OD) Piping from the Home Depot. For about 26 bucks you can get a 10 foot coil. For about 57 bucks you get 20. If you're going to attempt this GET EXTRA! Because bending pipe in a confined space like a computer case requires patience and precision, two things I do not have. Since this piping comes in a coil you must straighten the coil, I used Kwix UK 1/2in. Hand Held Pipe Straightening Tool. I then used a bender I found on Amazon for about $15 bucks. I do wish I had a more expensive one, because these cheap benders might leave marks on the pipe. Since I don't do this often there isn't a need for me to invest in a $200+ pipe bender.

Reservoirs
I needed reservoirs to match the uniqueness of the copper piping so I went with FrozenQ's Double Helix LFX reservoirs. Let me tell you, I waited a LONG time for these but they were definitely worth the wait! The design and quality of the work is amazing and in person…the picture online do not do it justice! I got them in Black and Red, because this build will have a Black and Red Color scheme. Though I am giving myself the option of using different color LEDs, which is challenging. I'm using two Alphacool Eispumpe VPP755 pumps.

GPU Water Block
For the GPU Water block I went with Phanteks Glacier series. Since I have 2 NVidia GTX 1080 in SLI I had to buy 2 (DUH). This was insanely easy to install. Phanteks provides you with detailed instructions on how to do this. The only mistake I made was when installing the water block onto the GPU board, one of the spacers was raised making it crooked. Lesson learned: remember to make sure every spacer is even.

CPU Water Block
I fell in love with XSPC's Ray Storm Pro. The Black on Copper looked awesome! I imagined with Red LEDS and It just spoke to me.

Radiators
2 Loops, 2 Radiators! Since there is so much space in the trunk of this thing, I went with two PrimoChill 480mm EximoSX Slim Radiator in Razor Red. The black on Red design is amazing. I was going to go all Red with two 480mm Black Ice Nemesis Radiators, but my Girlfriend convinced me to get a two toned one (I had to listen since I making a mess at home). Again, It looks awesome. Red Frame Black Fins! Primochill mainly uses copper in their radiators, so from my research this made sense to used. I didn't want to mix different types of metals.

Fittings
Inspired by the NVidia garage video on YouTube I chose the PrimoChill 1/2in. Rigid RevolverSX Series Fitting in TX Matte Black. The color alone made me want this. Matte black always makes me thing of Batman, and I love Batman! The fittings screw on tight and keep a good seal with the use of the double O-rings. The Caps are aluminum but they never come in direct contact with the liquid so all safe on that end!

Fans
Thermaltake's Riing Plus Were perfect for this build.

I'll update with more pictures soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry! i should've clarified in my title! It's Thermaltakes "The Tower 900" not the Obsidian Series 900D, though I did consider this case. But please check back!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I said some of these will be "retro-posts"

Installing the reservoirs:

Guys at FrozenQ made these custom mounts for me specifically for this case. The holes were a tad off , so i just re-drilled new holes using a Dremel.

With one in I got the other one on and proceeded to install the two water blocked GPUs with a small copper piece (first copper piece!!!) in between them, Making an SLI bridge. This is why I chose the Phanteks GPU water block, just simple and I didn't have to deal with an SLI water block.

I got excited and lit up the water blocks JUST to see what they would look like!

Installed the rads in the trunk:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finished bending and fitting all my pipes!

Now I'm currently trying to figure out how to polish these things to stay shiny and not get tarnish. I used the 'Vinegar and Salt' method but as soon as they sit for a few hours the tarnish comes on. The best thing i have tried is Steel Wool rub making sure I use rubber gloves, because as I have read on the interwebs, the oils from your hands adds to the tarnish.

I ran my loops for about a few hours each with no leaks except that one thing I did mess up on in the MOST AMATEUR way possible was the screwing in of the FANS! I managed to make two huge holes in the radiator, so now I must order a new one! Since I'm the most beloved and luckiest person in the world, PrimoChill is currently sold out of everything! EVERYTHING! I put in some plumbers epoxy for a temporary fix, but it didn't work. If you notice in this picture, the rad on the left has a white substance. REMEMBER BE-CAREFUL WHEN SCREWING IN THE FANS ON THE RAD! USE THE CREDIT CARD METHOD. So now I'm just waiting for PrimoChill to restock so I can order a new one. They said hopefully this week. I will update when I order my new rad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have one of those small Black and Decker screw gun, and i went HAM on it, out of excitement of course. You know HOW pissed and stupid I felt?! A buddy of mine referenced the German guy:
he says : DID'NT YOU LISTEN TO THE GERMAN DUDE!!?!?! Apparently, I'm a moron.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
You are looking for a lacquer to spray on the copper to help with tarnishing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts