Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not gonna bash NVIDIA here I just wanted to talk a little.

The 4000 series is coming out which is cool. Better ray tracing, DLSS 3 and better raster performance all around I mean that’s all great.

But I think really the next generation comes out when Display port 2.0 and a new HDMI spec is released with monitors and TVs to support it. I mean were pretty much stuck at 4k 120 on HDMI 2.1 TVs like oled and Display port 1.4a has DSC but you get limited color formats at higher refresh rates. I mean over 200 fps is nice but what’s the point of going above your gsync or free sync range when it just turns off and introduces tearing.

A new spec allows for higher bandwidth, full RGB 10 or 12 bit color HDR and higher refresh without going out of your VRR range.

I have a 3090 and an oled so I was pretty disappointed not to see Display port 2.0

I don’t know how long we will be waiting but this is just my two cents on when I think next gen begins.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Display port 2.0 has been out since 2018. I think when they start producing more monitors with higher refresh rates and 4k can realistically be used on them they will update it. I hope DLSS will help us get there sooner.

·
Iconoclast
32,822 Posts
TVs like oled and Display port 1.4a has DSC but you get limited color formats at higher refresh rates.
DSC doesn't limit color formats in any meaningful way.

It's 'near visually lossless', which means there are probably some outliers that would be better uncompressed, but you can do full 4:4:4 10 or 12 bit color at 240Hz+ 4k through existing standards with it.

The main, with current/near future displays, is how some cards handle DSC that limits the number of ports that can be used.

I mean over 200 fps is nice but what’s the point of going above your gsync or free sync range when it just turns off and introduces tearing.
Personally, I find tearing almost impossible to notice past ~200Hz, so even on my displays that have VRR ranges past this, I tend to disable it and run completely unsynced, using the highest refresh rate all the time, irrespective of frame rate, so I always get the optimum pixel response.

·
PC Evangelist
48,525 Posts
We still dont have next gen games out. By the time UE5 kicks in we will have refreshed consoles or next gen consoles. Nvidia best showcase of a game was CP2077 was designed 2080 Ti and last gen consoles with a lot of added RT.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Enhanced sync has actually been worked on for AMD. It works pretty well in eliminating the tearing above refresh rate. Idk if Nvidia has a similar option yet, but I'm sure they could do it and, most likely, better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Enhanced sync has actually been worked on for AMD. It works pretty well in eliminating the tearing above refresh rate. Idk if Nvidia has a similar option yet, but I'm sure they could do it and, most likely, better.
AFAIK "Fast Sync" on NV is the equivalent. Can't speak to it's reputation though as I haven't looked into it much.

·
Iconoclast
32,822 Posts
Enhanced sync has had issues that made it mostly unusable for me that were just fixed with the 22.9.1 driver release.

As NattyKathy says, the NVIDIA equivalent is Fast Sync. They are supposed to work very similarly and NVIDIA's implementation actually pre-dates AMD's by a few months and in my experience, worked more reliably, at least until yesterday.

That said, I can't see tearing on my high refresh rate displays without any syncing at all, so I don't use any anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts