Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 500GB drive that is formatted to HFS+ Journaled. It stores all of my iTunes music (over 200GB) and for the remainder of the space I am using it as my Time Machine drive. Will Time Machine start deleting my music when the storage on it starts running out? How about if I want to add new music and the space is already filled from Time Machine? Just wondering how this works.. If I should purchase a different drive entirely for Time Machine I can look into doing that too..

Thanks,

·
Registered
597 Posts
That depends on how much you are planning on putting into the drive? How big is the drive as well? Then you have to worry about backing up your music files too if you get another drive. Do you back the music up elsewhere in case as well?

Time Machine will only fill up the space that is left. It will delete the old TM backups but not your music. That is why it is contained in its own folder.

• Rep+
Reactions: bruflot

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
Time machine will automatically delete the oldest backup. It does not delete anything outside of the folder called Backups.backupdb.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK that makes sense and is good to know. However, will I still be able to add new music to my drive if my backups folder is taking up all of the remaining space on the drive? I am guessing no, which is why Time Machine is best used only on it's own harddrive but I just want to make sure?

Thanks,

·
Registered
597 Posts
It comes down to the limit in the storage size of the drive. Time Machine is all referenced and based off the Backups.backupdb folder. You can place anything you want outside that folder on the root of the drive if there is space for it. You will not however get backups of that data since Time Machine is just backing up your Mac HD. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I just made a partition on my external drive dedicated to Time Machine and nothing else, and one for the rest of my stuff. Problem solved
smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts