1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a single EVGA GTX 970:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487077

And apparently it is VR Ready

But what does that mean exactly, what can you do with VR on a desktop? I would have to buy a pair of googles still or use my monitor? I have a Dell U3415H for the record if it makes a diffrence. If goggles, how would I hook them up to the computer?

When I recently built the computer I wasn't thinking of doing any VR with it, but Newegg has been marketing the hell out of VR stuff lately and if it's really cool and my rig can handle it I may look into getting a setup, but I have no clue where to start, what is needed or what I would want to do/watch? Anything besides games?

·
I miss my OCN!!
2,196 Posts
It just means it's capable at pushing an Oculus Rift or a HTC Vive.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So those are the only two choices at the moment? Is one better than the other? I Haven't heard much or been too interested in the Oculus since facebook bought them out... I thought it was only going to be a FB thing and nothing to do with games any longer?

Hmm. I may have to look into getting a set of goggles for my new build to try out some legit VR

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyWizard View Post

So those are the only two choices at the moment? Is one better than the other? I Haven't heard much or been too interested in the Oculus since facebook bought them out... I thought it was only going to be a FB thing and nothing to do with games any longer?

Hmm. I may have to look into getting a set of goggles for my new build to try out some legit VR
First, where did you get the idea Oculus was just going to be a "facebook thing"? In all the businesses Amazon and Google invested in, are they being bent to serve selling books or internet searches? No, Facebook just bought them because they saw sweet sweet profits and maybe, just maybe, Zuck has a hardon for investing in long shots.

Which one is better is a cause of totally pointless debate at the moment. I'm talking console-vs-console pointless debate. I'm talking comparing-two-truck-companies pointless. Really, it comes down to whether you think "room scale VR" is actually going to be something people do in their homes. I personally think it's a gimmick on the scale of Kinect and it will be poorly supported and executed on the same scale.

We have done room-scale gaming. It's universally panned, unless you're an arrogant armchair tech expert of the kind that normally dominate their arguments by unloading lists of features and/or games, and slinging technical specs they don't understand, in which case, they think this one way of playing games makes it far and away the better choice.

BUT if you don't buy into that crock, then they are virtually the same. We are all going to get tired of running and jumping and doing physical things with our body and we will naturally gravitate back to seated gaming, the way we always do.

Plus, they are both wired. That alone should kill the room-scale.

The only substantial difference right now is that HTC Vive will come with motion controllers. Oculus will have them later, maybe better, and currently comes with an Xbox controller in every order.

Honestly, unless you have money to burn, try one before you buy one. Still... PRE-ORDER NOW, but try before it ships and cancel if you don't think it's worth it.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyWizard View Post

oculus does sitting/standing (standing or sitting at your pc-head tracking only) VR. It costs $599 USD. Later this year Oculus will release touch controllers which will allow for room scale VR (walking around) and interaction with objects in game (hand tracking) with the use of two cameras in supposed area of 10x15. As the hand controllers have not been released we do not know how well they work or the exact size of the play area. You use a Xbox controller right now to move about. It uses Oculus Home to launch your VR apps and Oculus has a much stronger lineup of content to be viewed.

Vive does room scale (walking around a room no larger than 15x15) out of the box, everything included in the box. Its longer to set up and has a much weaker game lineup (* not all games are cross platform, some games are exclusives or timed exclusives) and Vive media is more "experiences" .... actually there is not a single full AAA game for Vive yet. The vive costs $799 USD but you are getting the room scale. Room scale uses two wand like devices which are tracked 1:1. You hold the wands and you see exactly where your hands are in the game. Pick up or manipulate objects ingame by using the wands, they can been rendered as guns, swords, shields or torches ...what ever the dev wants them to be ingame. Vive uses Steam to launch, its the same more or less to what you would expect from a 2d monitor .......... if you can navigate Steam right now it will work the same in VR.

The 970 will get you by for now but I dont think its gonna cut it when Devs start to dig in and really play with this new hardware.

There is a few VR goggles about to come out like the Playstation VR which launches this October.

Right now the Oculus and Vive are at pre order states with a limited number shipping right now

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravinmild View Post

Right now the Oculus and Vive are at pre order states with a limited number shipping right now
Important distinction that Vive is still a preorder, but Oculus is technically in full production with component shortages and shipping delays. This is only relevant if you google Oculus, they might mention Eve Valkyrie as a preorder inclusion. That deal has already passed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts