Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 480 watt Enermax Coolergiant power supply. My question is my 12v rating? It fluctuates between 11.673 volts to 11.734 volts quite a bit. My 5v(5.19) and 3v(3.31) almost never fluctuate maybe +- 1% . Is the 12v Rail good enough? Safe? Its my understanding that the 5 and 3 volt ratings are the important ones. Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
on my setup i had this same problem.... i fixed it by plugging my power supply into its own outlet.... i did check to make sure it was on a seperate circuit as well.... i had two computers two monitors my highend speakers, my TV, DVD, PS2 and other stuff plugged into one outlet... and my 12v rail was fluctuating a good bit..... i have a ANTEC true controll so i adjusted the 12v rail to keep it above 12v but then it just fluctuated up and down from 12.00 to 12.2

i then i plugged it into its own circuit and it stableized at 12.2 so i adjusted down to 12....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by it's own circuit? I have all my components plugged into a surge protector. A good one and it is the only thing plugged into the wall outlet. Not sure if I can controll the voltages on my power supply. Can you help
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

on my setup i had this same problem.... i fixed it by plugging my power supply into its own outlet.... i did check to make sure it was on a seperate circuit as well.... i had two computers two monitors my highend speakers, my TV, DVD, PS2 and other stuff plugged into one outlet... and my 12v rail was fluctuating a good bit..... i have a ANTEC true controll so i adjusted the 12v rail to keep it above 12v but then it just fluctuated up and down from 12.00 to 12.2

i then i plugged it into its own circuit and it stableized at 12.2 so i adjusted down to 12....

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
your house is setup on a breaker box..... each circuit is one switch in a breaker box..... when the circuit is overloaded the switch will turn off (tripped)...
most house circuits are 20 amps at 120VAC having too many items in one outlet could trip this... from what ive found a 20amp circuit becomes unstanble at just about 16amps... unstable = fluctuating current or little current 11.xx VDC on your PSU.... other things contribute to this as well... most houses give one circuit to each room but my house has two per room.... when you find your breaker box, if the electrician did a good job he labeled it pretty well... unplug your computer and plug in a light to each outlet in your room and turn them on
goto your garage or basement and look for your breaker box (picture atached)
turn off one at a time the breakers labeled bedroom.....and then while its off go check the light,,,,,if both lights are still on then go back and turn the circuit back on.... then turn off the next one and check again to see if a light or lights go off... repeat this untill you figure out if you have two circuits or not...

Also dont plug a powerstrip into another power strip this often causes low power issues...

please if this helps you i put some effort into this to try and be helpful
please click on the reps button
to the left of this forum
thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts