Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Thought I'd get my act together and get a bit of a build log up. I enjoy reading others so I figure you might be interested in mine.

System is my sig rig and the watercooling gear is XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 + an additional 120mm rad. I also used larger diameter tubing. Bitspower compression fittings and Mayhems purple dye + Kill coil.

And so it began;

Started building in my relatively new Carbide 500R

I came across a pretty painful issue.. XFX had decided they no longer wanted to produce my 7870 black with a reference PCB so my EK block wouldn't fit. /crushed. More on this later.

So from there i figure, build just the CPU loop and cry about the GPU later

Got it running and was very happy, cpu temp was ~30-35'c Idle and ~40-50'c load. I live in Australia and we're currently in our damn summer so my ambient temps are like 35-40'c.. horrible. As you probably noticed the mild kink from cpu to 120mm rad, I hated it, did my head in!

After some research and info from OCN I decided on the fans I wanted to use on my rads;

There it sat all happy and running till the faithful day I managed to pull some strings and get my GPU switched..

Was able to upgrade to a 7950 and slapped the block and top plate on it asap. So I was looking down the barrel of a rebuild on my loop and I had been chatting with a friend of mine about how it will be pretty tight in the 500R. He mentioned that he had a 800D and we sorted out a deal.

So the rebuild began in the monster 800D

Just after this I picked up a Bitfenix Recon and have recently added that but sorry no pics as of yet.

Thanks for reading, I'll add more as I get to it or as requested.

Kerelm

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Cake View Post

You should switch that 120mm rad to the top and get a 140mm rad and put it on the back.
Not sure if it would really worth it for the 20mm. If anything I'd want to get a 360 for the top to utilize the 3 fan spots on the roof of the case. Unfortunately I purchased the gear with the intention of building inside the 500R.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerelm View Post

Not sure if it would really worth it for the 20mm. If anything I'd want to get a 360 for the top to utilize the 3 fan spots on the roof of the case. Unfortunately I purchased the gear with the intention of building inside the 500R.
The extra 20mm surface area can probably decrease heat a good amount. I'm currently waiting on my 140mm rad. I bought to get here and do a fresh build for my 3930k. You can always put that 120mm on top instead of ditching the 240mm and buying a 360mm.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

The extra 20mm surface area can probably decrease heat a good amount. I'm currently waiting on my 140mm rad. I bought to get here and do a fresh build for my 3930k. You can always put that 120mm on top instead of ditching the 240mm and buying a 360mm.
mostly I cant be bothered spending more and working more on it lol there are too many games to be played
wink.gif

·
Old dog, likes new tricks
2,584 Posts
Nice build, love the purple! FYI, for those recommending a 140 rad, be aware that a 140 won't fit properly in that spot (rear exhaust). I have one in my 800D, and the only way it will fit is in a pull config. The 140 is too thick to fit in a push config. Push/pull is impossible for me due to the RAM slots on my Rampage Gene. Even in a pull config, the case door is slightly bowed out due to the thickness of the 140, but it does close. This is with the XSPC EX140 rad (fat little bastard, LOL).

·
Not new to overclock.net
1,592 Posts
Kerelm what are your airflow directions on the rads? Ive been thinking of doing the same setup in my 800d

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post

Nice build, love the purple! FYI, for those recommending a 140 rad, be aware that a 140 won't fit properly in that spot (rear exhaust). I have one in my 800D, and the only way it will fit is in a pull config. The 140 is too thick to fit in a push config. Push/pull is impossible for me due to the RAM slots on my Rampage Gene. Even in a pull config, the case door is slightly bowed out due to the thickness of the 140, but it does close. This is with the XSPC EX140 rad (fat little bastard, LOL).
Thanks for the info
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisshort117 View Post

spotted that stanceworks vinyl
wink.gif

very nice build though! looking good so far.
<3 S/W
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmageddon88 View Post

Kerelm what are your airflow directions on the rads? Ive been thinking of doing the same setup in my 800d
All rads are exhaust, back blowing out, top blowing out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1G1TALD3ATH View Post

looks great man. nice work. Should be even better with the gpu in the loop.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ral View Post

Subbed..
I don't know what it is about 800d build, makes me want to get one still....
Good work, love the flurple
Hehe it is a pretty awesome case. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Everything looks great!
smile.gif

One quick suggestion, if you put the fans on pull (Behind the rads) instead of push, the rad will not get as much dust, and it will be much easier to clean it when needed. Although you may want to keep push if you like the look of the fans, but I'd recommend pull for less dust on the rads and easier cleaning for future.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Quote:

I woukd put your back exhaust fan as a intake
Not needed at all, he already has two intakes in the front, it's better to keep both the back rad/fan and top rad/fan as exhaust.
smile.gif

·
Registered
611 Posts
Note that he switched to an 800D Case, a single 140mm bottom intake wouldn't help much with airflow running towards the top, if he switched the back exhaust into an intake his temps would decrease.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Note that he switched to an 800D Case, a single 140mm bottom intake wouldn't help much with airflow running towards the top, if he switched the back exhaust into an intake his temps would decrease.
that's a good point but i'm going to have the ugly side of the fan on the inside of the case
frown.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts