Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i completed the task alone at stock speed of 3.2ghz my lowest temps were at 4C. i am very happy with the setup but wish temps were slightly lower. the bios reads at times a temp of 10c and my asus probe utility reads temps at 5-6C why are there such differences and which is more accurate. i havent overclocked it yet only beacause i am still tweaking the setup another reason is that i dont know where to begin hehe... in order to expand one of the tubes to fit on the large water pump fitting i happened to lightly lube the inside of the tube with palmolive dish wash soap i washed it out but i guess i didnt do a good job and my resevoirs got plenty of foam in it. is that bad? as for my setup

dominator pro block
2 meanwells in series
2 danger den double heater cores with double shrouds {mwhaha}
4 ystech 125cfm fans
dual bay resevoir
mag 5 water pump

conformal coating and neoprene used underneath mobo
ceramique used on processor
dielelectric grease used on pin holes and the center gap with it

some say use dielectric grease on the socket and some say conformal coating should be used on the pin holes and socket which do you prefer and does it make a difference?

thanks happy holidays and laters

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Conformal coating is a sealant. You most definitely do not want to use it on the pin holes....the processor would be in there for good if you did.
Some use conformal coating around the edges of the socket, but I've never personally found it necessary. Good amount of dielectric grease all around has alwasy been all I needed.

BIOS temps are loaded. Is the Asus probe reading you are getting from idle or load. If it's idle, then those are very impressive results, with very little fluctuation (assuming the same 10C is your avergae load temps, as well). You can always run Prime95's FTT test to find full load temps.

And btw, which Dominator Pro did you get (what wattage)? Sounds like a very nice setup...how 'bout some OC results?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i ran a whole bunch of apps and temps rose from 3c to like 13 c pretty good if you ask me...the dominator 360 and 437 are the same exact block when wintsch labs was designing the block there aim was 360 watts they achieved that but didnt realize there peltier had more potential than that it can actually run the 437.. so when you do end up buying an old batch of blocks like i did its says 360 watt butt its really a 437 watt new blocks are all shipped saying 437 and the directions have been slightly modified i talked to devin from wintsch labs myself and thats what he told me. as for the heater cores i have then running in series also lol but i can relocate the second to after the pump before it enters the bloack or before the resevoir after exiting the block.....i am going to have to put the second core in different places to test if i get temp differences.. i also will be testing both of my meanwells to determine the amount of power coming out of them to make sure my pelts sucking up maximum juice. as for ocing im gonna expriement with stock settings see if i can achieve 0 C which is my real goal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice set-up! Are you planning on running any other blocks (chipset, videocard, etc)? Any others with pelts? I'll be looking for how well you can oc that setup.

I am in the research phase of a new system and am considering using the same Dominator Pro CPU Block/TEC setup. I'm also thinking about an SLI config with DDen Maze 4-1 blocks with 172 watt pelts on the 6800 Ultra's. I'll also be watercooling the chipset with a DDen Z Chip block. All with 1/2" id tubing. Is this too ambitious? Other parts under consideration are a Swifty MCP650 pump & a DDen Back Ice Extreme II radiator with 4 Sunon 120mm 105 cfm fans (in a push/pullconfig) and a dual 5.25 bay res. I found a 15v 34a PSU on Ebay for <$50 to power the pelts.

Am I on the right track?

Regards,

Philly_boy

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
philly boy,....do you know how much that stuff costs? if ure looking into it thats great, but dont put that setup in your sig until u actually HAVE it... i hope u know that all that stuff will be like 3500-4000$. but if u did get that it would be pretty powerful. GL trying to find pci express 6800ultras...i tried and failed, no one has them in stock, and wont have until end of january.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry for the delay been workin hard... i have 2 meanwells wired together powering this setup for every1s info. as for chipset blocks i have noticed that the chipset is very hot to the point i cannot even touch the heatsink i am going to see if i can get away with cooling it with some thermal compound a copper heatsink and fan it should be sufficient enough because as far as i know there are no real gains from keeping the chipset cold. at least it doesnt seem worthwhile tapping in the water setup to cool the chipset because it will add more heat to my water and will affect my overall cpu performance and overclocks.. as for gpu cooling i have a crappy video card because i have been waiting for ati's new monsters to come out. the sli config is way too crazy and expensive for me i dont think its even necessary unless you play games 10 hours a day sooner or later there will be cards with double that power so ill save my money cooling them with pelts sounds good to me but if you use that along with a dominator water will be hot. that black ice radiators arent really that good i recommend the danger den dual heater cores and i happen to use 2 of them they are by far the best cores out there. as for the pump a mag 5 500gph is the best and most powerful and perfect for as many waterblaocks you would like to add. i have only one block and the pumps crazy theres turbulence in my reservoir. i hit 1C 33F at idle at stock speeds im only 1 degrree away from freezing temps but when i hit 2C my asus temp probe utility status changes from ok to N/A so i think the utility not registering any temps below 1C which sucks i needto add my own probe now. i overclocked it from 3.2 to 3.85 Ghz and idle temps were 7C which is pretty awesome

·
Registered
133 Posts
Didn't mean to have poor 'sig ettiqette'...I have everything sitting here in boxes cept the 6800's & the mobo.

I'm looking for the best overall cooling options before I start modding my case and assembling the system. I have room for the rad and pump in the bottom of the case. I am uncertain as to whether one pump will provide enough flow for 6 bocks (cpu, 2 x gpu, chipset, & 2 x hdd's), 3 of which will have pelts on them. I am also uncertain if just one rad will be able to keep up with the heat load generated by this setup.

Yes, I am well aware of how much everything costs. I have about a $5k budget set aside for this project.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well you can make think a little more about your vid card decision even though my budget was insane at the time i still didnt bother with that sli. but its whatever makes you happy. cpu and gpu blocks with pelts on them is cool but do you really need chipset and especially hard drive blocks. the hdd would be more of a problem when it came to heating the water and to me is totally unecessary but its only my opinion. the pump will provide plenty of flow for those blocks because most pumps flow in the 300gph this one flows a nice 500gph and trust me its a kick in the ass lol. you will needs 2 heater cores or perhaps you should run 2 watercooling setups.. put the cpu and hdd blocks on one chain and on the 2nd put the gpu and chipset blocks. i recommend 2 heater cores on 1st setup and 1 on the second. feel free to ask more questions

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrbsti
well you can make think a little more about your vid card decision even though my budget was insane at the time i still didnt bother with that sli. but its whatever makes you happy. cpu and gpu blocks with pelts on them is cool but do you really need chipset and especially hard drive blocks. the hdd would be more of a problem when it came to heating the water and to me is totally unecessary but its only my opinion. the pump will provide plenty of flow for those blocks because most pumps flow in the 300gph this one flows a nice 500gph and trust me its a kick in the ass lol. you will needs 2 heater cores or perhaps you should run 2 watercooling setups.. put the cpu and hdd blocks on one chain and on the 2nd put the gpu and chipset blocks. i recommend 2 heater cores on 1st setup and 1 on the second. feel free to ask more questions
I drafted out an idea for an external sound insulated radbox that would use 6 120mm 152cfm fans in a push/pull/push/pull config with two 2-302 heatercores sandwiched between them. I'd use Weapon's shrouds so it would be like this:

intake fans>shroud>rad 1>shroud>fans>shroud>rad2>shroud>exhaust fans

I'll make a DIY 1 liter res with two mag 7 pumps, one before the first rad and one taking from the res out to the first block.

This will cool only the GPU blocks and HDD blocks. I am considering picking up a Mach II GT to cool the CPU seperately.

I just read in a post elsewhere on this site that Wintsch labs has plans to come out with a GPU water block/TEC set up utilizing 280 watt TEC's. That looks appetizing for my 6800 Ultra's.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
setup sounds ok but why 2 water pumps and why mag 7's its just too much flow and even pressure is something to worry about. i have ystech fans and there flow enough there not as powerful as yours but yours will be insanely loud and are unecessary a radiator can only stay so cold its not like were looking to freeze it just to keep it cool. sometimes i run 1 out of the 4 fans and still dont get a rise in temps. you should throw a simple wc/pelt setup on the ultras i am doing so i have 1 ultra card myself. i use a copper heatsink and fan to cool chipset, hard drive coolers to me are pointless i dont bother there is no significant performance gain from cooling hard drives there fine its the same reason why i dont water cool my chipset. im getting my dominator fitted to my lga board so im waiting. if u got any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:

setup sounds ok but why 2 water pumps and why mag 7's its just too much flow and even pressure is something to worry about. i have ystech fans and there flow enough there not as powerful as yours but yours will be insanely loud and are unecessary a radiator can only stay so cold its not like were looking to freeze it just to keep it cool. sometimes i run 1 out of the 4 fans and still dont get a rise in temps. you should throw a simple wc/pelt setup on the ultras i am doing so i have 1 ultra card myself. i use a copper heatsink and fan to cool chipset, hard drive coolers to me are pointless i dont bother there is no significant performance gain from cooling hard drives there fine its the same reason why i dont water cool my chipset. im getting my dominator fitted to my lga board so im waiting. if u got any questions feel free to ask.

Sooooo...just air cooling the HD's is ok? I too have read many opinions stating that there is nothing to gain by watercooling the NB. Do anyone make a dedicated heatsink/fan set-up to cool a NF4 chipset? I know height is a problem with the one video card practically covering the NF4 chip on both the Asus and the new DFI SLI mobo's. I had the thought of trying the Polar Flo chip block as the barbs are able to swivel. I thought maybe I could clear the second vid card and not have to deal with customizing a heatsink/fan set-up.

I plan on using the new Artic Spider from Winstch labs (the makers of the Dominator Pro) to cool the 6800 Ultras. It looks as if it'll be using a 40mm x 40mm 280 watt tec with a smaller version of the DP waterblock. The question remains whether I can keep the water temps down with 2 tecs as powerful (and hot) as these will be with just one dual core rad.

You think the mag 7 is too powerful? I figured that with two rads and two (maybe three with the chip cooler) potentially restrictive blocks a push pull to and from the rad-box might keep flow above 3 gpm. I'd love to hear opinions on whether this is overkill or prudence. The extra rad/fans/shrouds and extra pump will only cost a few hundred extra and if it gets me a few extra fps in games, then it'd be worth it to me. I wanna do this once and have it for like a year before I do any major upgrades.

I'll also take your advice and look for quieter fans (perhaps the Sanyo Denki's)...and keep their noise to a minimum with a fan controller.

Thanks, Philly

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
air cooling for the hard drives is fine i dont even air cool mine because they never get hot just warm. as for the NB it is good if you get the switftech hsf combo. it consists of a copper block, aluminum helicoid fins, and a nice fan on top. that right there is great active cooling for your NB. as for the artic spider i am getting one also. i would advise you to have 2 separate water cooling setups since you plan on using 3 powerful pelts. i would use a mag 3 pump, 1 dual danger den heatercore with the 2 spider blocks. with the dom pro i would use a mag 3 pump or mag 5 and 1 or maybe 2 dual heatcores. heatcores from danger if you dont know are said to be the best. as for fans just get ystech fans or sunons at max they r real loud with a fan controller there great. now your going to have to power 3 pelts i would get 2 600watt power supplie from sidewindercomputers.com i am using one for my dom pro and when i get my spider i will have to get another 600watt ps. im talking about the 600 watt meanwells fyi. any questions just ask.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:

air cooling for the hard drives is fine i dont even air cool mine because they never get hot just warm. as for the NB it is good if you get the switftech hsf combo. it consists of a copper block, aluminum helicoid fins, and a nice fan on top. that right there is great active cooling for your NB. as for the artic spider i am getting one also. i would advise you to have 2 separate water cooling setups since you plan on using 3 powerful pelts. i would use a mag 3 pump, 1 dual danger den heatercore with the 2 spider blocks. with the dom pro i would use a mag 3 pump or mag 5 and 1 or maybe 2 dual heatcores. heatcores from danger if you dont know are said to be the best. as for fans just get ystech fans or sunons at max they r real loud with a fan controller there great. now your going to have to power 3 pelts i would get 2 600watt power supplie from sidewindercomputers.com i am using one for my dom pro and when i get my spider i will have to get another 600watt ps. im talking about the 600 watt meanwells fyi. any questions just ask.

Actually, I will only be using TEC's to cool the 6800 Ultra's. I'll prolly get a used Mach II GT to cool the CPU. I will get the 2-302 heatercore's and custom shrouds from Weapon over at Extreme Systems. The dual heatercores from Danger Den are slightly smaller and a bit more difficult to shroud. I already have a 15v 38a power supply I got from eBay for $40! It's worth about $400 to buy it new, so I figure it'll be ok for the two Artic Spiders. The Swifty chipset fan/heatsink combo doesn't fit with the second video card. There's only about 5/8's of an inch clearance from the top of the NF4 chipset to the bottom of the one 6800.

Tell me why 2 mag 5's wouldn't be better than one. I would put one taking water from the chipset block and feeding the first rad and the second one taking from the res and outputting to the first Artic Spider. I'm just looking to get the most bang for the buck and want something that will last long term even after upgrades.

I hear the 120mm x 38mm Sunon fans are a decent value for the money. I'll prolly DIY the actual radbox out of MDF and line it with egg crate foam to deaden it for sound/vibrations, etc.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the danger dens are perfectly fine the shroud fit over them without prob and those sunons are good. one mag 5 is fine its a fish aquarium pump its very powerful. i have expirience working with pressure ive seen stuff blow up i compare the power from 1 pump to what i am actually using the pump for and realize i could send water through a crap load of blocks with that pump.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts