Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received the white Zowie EC2 and I wanted to share my experience with it.

Things that don't really matter

The cord is grey, the mouse is white and the 1000DPI step that I use makes the wheel glow purple. Add the three together and you get one seriously lame ass looking mouse on your desk.

Things that do matter

Buttons

The left and right click buttons are far too soft for my liking (they click with a small amount of pressure). The side buttons are also very soft and they have quite a bit of travel when using them. Not impressed.

Lift off distance
This is where my EC2 failed big time. Zowie specifically used a special lens to lower the lift off distance on their EC series of mice and claim a lift off distance of around 1.5mm. My Ec2? It seems to have two stages of lift off, if I lift it up it stops tracking the surface at the advertised distance but then a little bit higher it starts tracking the surface again to idiotic heights....I get cursor movement up until 9.6mm. Fail.

Shape, weight and surface material
I was worried about this mouse being awkward to grip because it uses the deathadder's palm grip but in a smaller package but it turns out to be very comfortable for me. I purchased the white version specifically for the glassy finish all around the mouse, this surface sticks to your hands really well and makes the mouse feel lighter than it is. Shape + surface + weight = Win.

Scroll wheel
More fail here unfortunately. First off my EC2 HAS the wheel bug, this means that if you scroll one click up and then one click down, the down click does not register. Even if the wheel functioned properly it doesn't have enough resistance between each clicks to be used properly. Its loud too..... seriously Zowie?

Sensor quality
At first it seemed fine, enough perfect control speed than I would ever need and no problems with acceleration. While browsing the web I noticed the cursor spaz out just like my abyssus did. Opened paint and well, yeah.... Just like the abyssus, if you hold the mouse at an angle and move the mouse vertically then you get this lovely jitter. The EC2 does this on both the goliathus speed and the puretrak talent. As you can see in the image (make sure you click it to see the original size), my abused MX518 that was purchased in 2005 doesn't have this problem.....

I honestly think the light source is causing this jitter problem. The MX518 uses a regular red LED and it works fine but the other two mice I have had this problem with (Abyssus and now the EC2) seem to use the same or similar infrared LED.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Conclusion
A waste of time. Back to amazon it goes for a full refund. I gave Zowie a chance and they failed big time.

UPDATE- After some more testing i found out that if the mouse is set to 500 DPI the high lift off bug is gone but is present at the other two settings. Also lowing the polling rate to 500 greatly reduced the jitter.

So if you are in the market for a $60 500DPI mouse with prediction consider the EC2.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I recently received the white Zowie EC2 and I wanted to share my experience with it.

Things that don't really matter

The cord is grey, the mouse is white and the 1000DPI step that I use makes the wheel glow purple. Add the three together and you get one seriously lame ass looking mouse on your desk.

Things that do matter

Buttons

The left and right click buttons are far too soft for my liking (they click with a small amount of pressure). The side buttons are also very soft and they have quite a bit of travel when using them. Not impressed.

Lift off distance
This is where my EC2 failed big time. Zowie specifically used a special lens to lower the lift off distance on their EC series of mice and claim a lift off distance of around 1.5mm. My Ec2? It seems to have two stages of lift off, if I lift it up it stops tracking the surface at the advertised distance but then a little bit higher it starts tracking the surface again to idiotic heights....I get cursor movement up until 9.6mm. Fail.

Shape, weight and surface material
I was worried about this mouse being awkward to grip because it uses the deathadder's palm grip but in a smaller package but it turns out to be very comfortable for me. I purchased the white version specifically for the glassy finish all around the mouse, this surface sticks to your hands really well and makes the mouse feel lighter than it is. Shape + surface + weight = Win.

Scroll wheel
More fail here unfortunately. First off my EC2 HAS the wheel bug, this means that if you scroll one click up and then one click down, the down click does not register. Even if the wheel functioned properly it doesn't have enough resistance between each clicks to be used properly. Its loud too..... seriously Zowie?

Sensor quality
At first it seemed fine, enough perfect control speed than I would ever need and no problems with acceleration. While browsing the web I noticed the cursor spaz out just like my abyssus did. Opened paint and well, yeah.... Just like the abyssus, if you hold the mouse at an angle and move the mouse vertically then you get this lovely jitter. The EC2 does this on both the goliathus speed and the puretrak talent. As you can see in the image (make sure you click it to see the original size), my abused MX518 that was purchased in 2005 doesn't have this problem.....

I honestly think the light source is causing this jitter problem. The MX518 uses a regular red LED and it works fine but the other two mice I have had this problem with (Abyssus and now the EC2) seem to use the same or similar infrared LED.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Conclusion
A waste of time. Back to amazon it goes for a full refund. I gave Zowie a chance and they failed big time.

=\\, just canceled my mionix 5000 order so that i could order this instead.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by skuzzzzy View Post
=\\, just canceled my mionix 5000 order so that i could order this instead.
Maybe mine was defective. If you give zowie a shot make sure you can comfortably return it if you aren't happy with it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Quote:

Maybe mine was defective. If you give zowie a shot make sure you can comfortably return it if you aren't happy with it.
which mouse are you trying next? im using 3.0 right now and wanted the ec1 or ec2 for the fit, and no interest in razer. maybe ill just reorder the mionix..

·
Gone
8,731 Posts
Quote:

Conclusion

Thanks, Rep'd.

Guess I'll cross the EC2 off my to get list. Owell, DA should work fine till it develops the scroll wheel bug..

Edit: steelseries is sending me an Ikari Optical (Avago A3060) for the 2nd kinzu I purchased (sorry newegg
). I'm pretty sure it's just the lens zowie uses.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

which mouse are you trying next? im using 3.0 right now and wanted the ec1 or ec2 for the fit, and no interest in razer. maybe ill just reorder the mionix..
I'm honestly kind of defeated. I might just deal with my Xai on the 4HD...... I might order a DA 3.5G.

Not interested in anything else available to me unfortunately.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Quote:

Maybe mine was defective.
That would be my guess because mine (EC2 White) didn't have those sensor problems.
The rest is pretty much identical with my impression of that mouse.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullveyr View Post
That would be my guess because mine (EC2 White) didn't have those sensor problems.
The rest is pretty much identical with my impression of that mouse.
After some more testing i found out that if the mouse is set to 500 DPI the high lift off bug is gone but is present at the other two settings. Also lowing the polling rate to 500 greatly reduced the jitter.

So if you are in the market for a $60 500DPI mouse with prediction consider the EC2.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Funnily enough, I think Zowie changed how the wheel works on the new ec2 black mouse they sent me after I had returned it for the wheel bug. It has more resistance scrolling up/down. Buttons have less resistance though (just the way I like it so subjective), however the white seems to have more button resistance presumably because of the hardened coating, or just different microswitches =/. The reverse is applicable to the side buttons however, more resistance on the black, less on the white. Don't have any sensor problems either.

·
Registered
947 Posts
i emailed zowie to asked if they have fixed the scroll wheel problem yet or if they planned too. heres the reply,

"Hello Michael,

The scrollbug you mention was a problem with the first batch of the EC mice. Already after the first week of the EC being released to the market we were able to identify and fix the problem.

There are still some first-batch mice with some retailers, so there is of course always a chance that you may get one of these. In case you do, we will replace it with a fixed version.

Best regards,

Danny Ramkvist
Chief Marketing Officer
"

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Quote:

i emailed zowie to asked if they have fixed the scroll wheel problem yet or if they planned too. heres the reply,

"Hello Michael,

The scrollbug you mention was a problem with the first batch of the EC mice. Already after the first week of the EC being released to the market we were able to identify and fix the problem.

There are still some first-batch mice with some retailers, so there is of course always a chance that you may get one of these. In case you do, we will replace it with a fixed version.

Best regards,

Danny Ramkvist
Chief Marketing Officer
"

Sweet sounds good!

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
i picked up a black ec2 about 2 weeks ago... so far i love the thing... definitely softer clicking than the xai i was using previously, but its very responsive with the clicks even though the activation pressure is low on the switches... scroll wheel is reminiscent of the DA, but seems to be working perfectly for me so far...

Also havent had any problems with the lift off distances... i played a week at 6/11 windows and 500 dpi... now im using 3/11 windows 2000 dpi and it just feels more precise on the latter regardless of windows interpolation

• Rep+
Reactions: b0z0
1 - 12 of 12 Posts