Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
So, no Ice Lake in 2018?
rolleyes.gif

Cannon Lake will be low power CPU arch, 'cause new 10nm process. (maybe only for notebooks)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure we'll see it in desktop form. Anyway, never read about "Cascade Lake".

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Looks like no Coffeelake-X. Could Cascadelake-X outperform a hypothetical 8700K with +100/150mhz on top )?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXWX View Post

I'm sure we'll see it in desktop form. Anyway, never read about "Cascade Lake".
Xeon Bronze/Silver ( 4 / 6 / 8 10 ) do exist and Xeon-W ( 10 / 14 / 18 ) and those have higher turbo 2.0 than the 7980XE. Why not? Desktop versions will just be worse binning.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czin125 View Post

Looks like no Coffeelake-X. Could Cascadelake-X outperform a hypothetical 8700K with +100/150mhz on top )?
Xeon Bronze/Silver ( 4 / 6 / 8 10 ) do exist and Xeon-W ( 10 / 14 / 18 ) and those have higher turbo 2.0 than the 7980XE. Why not? Desktop versions will just be worse binning.
Totally no existence of Cannon-lake, this doesnt sound right at all, especially the CEO himself mentioned CNL is right on track for release.

so what is going on?

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts

https://www.eteknix.com/intel-2018-roadmap-leaked-galax-event/
Quote:
Intel 2018 Mainstream and HEDT Roadmap

While many are aware of Coffee Lake S CPUs coming soon, a leaked slide shown at the event reveals the next HEDT platform called Cascade Lake-X for Q4 2018. Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X are expected to run concurrently up until the end of Q3 2018. It appears that there will be no more variants of these two processors coming.

Interestingly, it only shows Coffee Lake throughout 2018, without any sign of Cannonlake like previously rumoured. Either Intel wants to not reveal that information yet, especially while waiting for AMD's Ryzen 2 announcements. Or maybe they are delaying that until Q1 2019 if the competition poses no threat in the mainstream desktop segment.

Coffee Lake S will include 6-core, 4-core, and dual-core solutions with varying TDP including 35W, 65W and 95W. With it are the Z390 and B360 chipset boards, utilizing the same socket as the Z370. The release schedule for these boards is sometime around March or April 2018.

Even the lower-power N processors are coming on time for Q1 2018. Codename "Gemini Lake", these replace the existing Apollo Lake Celerons. It will feature a similar 10W TDP on a BGA package in quad and dual core configurations. However, better integrated graphics performance is expect
2nd source of roadmap leak

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Cascade-Lake-X-Codename-266971/News/Intels-einzige-2018er-Neuerung-im-Q4-1245139/

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Interesting to see 10W SOC's. I'd have expected to see them trying to lower that. Those kind of CPU's get used in my industry (onboard transit blackboxes) and they output quite a surprising amount of heat. They're almost always passively cooled machines in areas with almost no airflow.

I believe AMD offers 5W CPUs in this bracket. But you don't see them as often in the wild unfortunately.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't think it makes much sense to interpret the 300 Series Chipset as a reference for Z390, I'd expect that to mean the H and B 300 series chipset, unless someone from intel specifically mentioned Z390 for Q1 '18 release, which would be surprising to say the least (2 Z series chipsets within 3-4 months?).

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaknafeinGR View Post

I don't think it makes much sense to interpret the 300 Series Chipset as a reference for Z390, I'd expect that to mean the H and B 300 series chipset, unless someone from intel specifically mentioned Z390 for Q1 '18 release, which would be surprising to say the least (2 Z series chipsets within 3-4 months?).
More like the start of q2 for z390.

Either way this show intel is still trying to milk consumer despite what having that competition. They are really getting too much. No 8 cores no cannonlake. Like what?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
cascade lake huh. I wonder what features that platform will bring?

·
Retired Moderation
10,672 Posts
/merged dupe threads by time stamp

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
With an ultra binned cpu, you could run 3500/3600mhz NB Clock with R6A/OCF ( Skylake-X ). Cascadelake-X should at least run those settings on more average cpus. Ram speed and core clocks could be pushed up further. Per core performance on the X series chips may finally beat the mainstream chips.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quote:
One thing that i like about Intel is how they stick to using codenames based on geographical places....unlike AMD, who in their naming schemes constantly mix completely unrelated stuff and it feels chaotic and unstructured (even if it is not) and it makes it difficult to remember. Like one moment naming CPUs after cities (Manchester, Toledo, Venice, Barcelona), next moment after stars (Agena, Deneb, Thuban), then heavy machinery (Bulldozer, Piledriver) and some Indian/oriental sounding stuff at the same time (Kaveri, Godavari), now its Zen and Zeppelin at the same time again...GPU division the same thing - what was wrong with the Islands?

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmaigh! View Post

One thing that i like about Intel is how they stick to using codenames based on geographical places....unlike AMD, who in their naming schemes constantly mix completely unrelated stuff and it feels chaotic and unstructured (even if it is not) and it makes it difficult to remember. Like one moment naming CPUs after cities (Manchester, Toledo, Venice, Barcelona), next moment after stars (Agena, Deneb, Thuban), then heavy machinery (Bulldozer, Piledriver) and some Indian/oriental sounding stuff at the same time (Kaveri, Godavari), now its Zen and Zeppelin at the same time again...GPU division the same thing - what was wrong with the Islands?
I don't find Intel naming any better than AMD: Skylake, Kaby lake, coffeelake, Cannon lake, tiger lake, gemini lake, casade lake, ice lake. What is all this lakes nonsense?

The best I find so far is none other than Nvidia, who stick strictly to Scientist name after moving away from original G80/92 structure, and all uses a unique first alphabet.

Tesla, Fermi, Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal, Volta, Ampere.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmaigh! View Post

What the hell does "Kaby" mean. And Car Lake sounds badass! Kachoww!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guttheslayer View Post

I don;t find Intel naming any better than AMD: Skylake, Kaby lake, coffeelake, Cannon lake, tiger lake, gemini lake, casade lake, ice lake. What is all this lakes nonsense?

The best I find so far is none other than Nvidia, who stick strictly to Scientist name after moving away from original G80/92 structure, and all uses a unique first alphabet.

Tesla, Fermi, Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal, Volta, Ampere.
They are Oregon based company AFAIK and those i assume are the geographical locations in Oregon? Anyway, regardless what they are, at least they consistenly follow certain pattern and you know you are looking at CPU codename now, 8 years ago and 3 years from now. With AMD, this tends to change like every 3 years to something completely different.

Agreed about Nvidia though, their naming scheme is the best in this regard.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts