Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***Skip to post 17***

I'm trying to get to the bottom of my AWFUL temps at stock speed with my 7700ALCU (lapped). The only thing I can come up with is that maybe AS5 goes bad after a certian time of sitting in the tube? I've had this tube for 1 year and three months and recently I put it on my CPU and got 53C load (up from 32 on last application) and on my friend's cpu and got 60C load (up from 45 with stock paste). Does anyone know of this or have a tube that old to confirm?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
i may be wrong, but as far as i know it will not go bad, atleast not in a year... and u say the temps went up after puting as5 on, did u do anything elso along witht he application of the as5?

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

i may be wrong, but as far as i know it will not go bad, atleast not in a year... and u say the temps went up after puting as5 on, did u do anything elso along witht he application of the as5?

I did it the same way I've always done it... half a BB in the center and let the heatsink squish it out. I even took the heatsink off and it was perfect - almost to the edges but not quite and you could read the letters on the CPU.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
If the as5 gets heated up it may start to cure.
Dont know this for a fact but its a guess.
So if you use the slightly cured as5 on your hs then it wont be as good?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Sounds more like a fitment issue. I would take off the HSF and clean the hsf and cpu die thoroughly and first put a tiny tiny drop of as5 on the die and buff it until it's just a fine, transparant haze. Then one drop in center of die, seat it, don't pull it back up! this can lead to bubbles. Twist your heatsink back and forth if possible to evenly distribute and recheck temps.

Since as5 is a colloid suspension of silver particles in a paste, i guess it could be possible for the silver to settle out over a long period of time. I've heard it suggested you store tubes tip down, but who knows. I smell a research project.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If my tube has separated (I know I havn't installed it wrong so I don't see what else it could be...) do you think it could be revived by storing it on the tip for maybe a week? I think I will just buy a new tube for $11 and let this old one sit or give it to a friend. BTW if it does turn out that a new tube fixes it I will be sure and let you guys know because that seems like an importiant detail.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
well, i have heard it suggested that you do not want AS% to be applied continuously for more than 2 years lest you replace it. I usually do what Mjolnir said and "prime" the heatsink/waterblock/coldplate, then i apply as5 with a plastic bag stretched around my finger. If you just let the HSF squish it down, there is a possibility that it will not be spread evenly.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
you said you removed the heatsink to check it...your not supposed to take the hs off I hear. It gets bubbles in it and makes hotspots.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch13f121

you said you removed the heatsink to check it...your not supposed to take the hs off I hear. It gets bubbles in it and makes hotspots.

Yeah I did but the temps were exactly the same after. Maybe as a last ditch effort to make this work I'll try the plastic bag spreading but somehow I dobut that will do it. Logic says that if I didn't need to before why should I now?

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I tried the baggey spread method. Before I go into that though, I noticed that when I took the heatsink off, there was little or no AS5 along where the copper strip is on my heatsink?!? I thought maybe it wasn't flat so I put a small drop of watter in the center of the heatsink and set a pieice of glass on it. The water spread all the way to the edge and the heatsink was suctioned to the glass. So I cleaned all the old as5 off with articlean and put a new drop in the center of the cpu. Spreading with a plastic bag proved more difficult that I thought because the paste was VERY thick - so thick that if I didn't press hard enough the bag would skip along the top of the paste as if it were dried out. I actually streched the plastic bag trying to spread that paste out. Is it supposed to be this way? Anyway - temps did not change in the slightest. Nothing up or down. I'm still leaning for a new tube.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AS5 ordered. But can anyone tell me if it's usually that hard to spread?

EDIT: and just as a quick catcherupper for anyone who didn't read: I'm running at stock speed with my 7700ALCU (lapped) and getting 50-53C load.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Hey, I just saw this thread and thought I'd add.

I read on AS's website that you are supposed to store AS5 with the tip down so that when it separates the separation will happen on the top and it will not interfere w/ your new applications. You are also supposed to store it in a cool place, the fridge will work.

I personally store my AS5 in the fridge. I have a shot glass in the door that my AS5 sits in... tip down so it's nice and chilly for the next time I need to use it.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2

Hey, I just saw this thread and thought I'd add.

I read on AS's website that you are supposed to store AS5 with the tip down so that when it separates the separation will happen on the top and it will not interfere w/ your new applications. You are also supposed to store it in a cool place, the fridge will work.

I personally store my AS5 in the fridge. I have a shot glass in the door that my AS5 sits in... tip down so it's nice and chilly for the next time I need to use it.

Thanks, I did not see this. The tube was stored for 1 year and three months on it's side. Mostly it was kept in my drawer but it gets left around a lot. I've probably used it at least 25-30 times and it's only half empty. I'll be sure and keep my new one in the fridge.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
np... I'll see if I can find that link again...

Quote:

Like any mix of particles that are many times heavier than the suspension fluid, there will be some separation in the compound over time when stored in the original syringe. (All thermal compounds eventually experience some separation in storage.) This does not affect the performance of the unseparated or remixed compound.
To keep the compound fresh for future applications, always replace the cap on the syringe after each use. The syringe should be stored tip down so that any separation that occurs will be at the back end of the syringe with fully suspended particles below that. Storing in a cool place like a refrigerator will also lessen the separation over time.

here it is... striaght from the AS5 instructions on AS's website.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright... here's the latest news. Since I got the new tube of AS5, I've been able to do some process of elimination work. First, I took the motherboard and placed it outside the case, to elimniate that element of things. I let the bios run for about 3 minutes and got a temperature of 42C. I put the new AS5 on and got a new temperature of 40C. So maybe it was a little bad.. but not really the 22C difference I was looking for. Finally I decided to try it on my old motherboard. So I got that all setup with the same cooler and everything and got a temp of 25C! What up? That's only about 3C warmer than room temperature (22C). I switched the new motherboard back and got 40C again. Er... I thought the temperature probe was in the CPU, not the motherboard? If one of the sensors is wrong, which is what I am thinking, which temp sounds more likely for my situation? 25C or 40C? Right now I'm typing on the rig with the motherboard on top of the case and prime 95 running, getting a temp of 44C! That's great because before (in the case though) I was getting an average of 50C, once even 55C. After I finish this post I'll put everything back in the case and see what happens. I think I could be OK with 44C as long as it holds.

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
this happened to me one time on my old mobo, the temps woudn't go past 55

try a system restore to before this happened...

the way i fixed this was getting SP2

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillaxed

this happened to me one time on my old mobo, the temps woudn't go past 55

try a system restore to before this happened...

the way i fixed this was getting SP2

All but prime95 temps were taken in the bios. I didn't even have my hard drive plugged in at the time. I think that voids that theory

I've got it in the case now... temps are basically the same as outside! Maybe the AS5 was the problem after all. So far it seems to be running 4C lower on idle and 4C lower on load. And that's comparing burned in AS5 to AS5 applied a few minutes ago. Well... good enough for me. I'd still be interested in hearing what people think about the massive temp difference just by switching mobos and back.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Try using speedfan. Some mobo BIOS's use the mobo's CPU socket sensor, not the actual die temp sensor. That's how it is on my MS Neo4-F. The CPU sensor would be more accurate IMHO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts