Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my sig rig, lately or rather ever since I switched desks I'll sometimes smell a hot electric type metal smell. My new desk has a little shelf for my computer, so it hasn't been getting as much air as it used to.
I've checked my other things as well as checked my CPU temperatures, but the smell always seems to come from the PSU vent in the back.

Today I looked inside the vent with a flashlight and saw a possible area in which something may have melted. The color of the thing that may have melted is white, and it seems to be next to one of the copper heat thingies and a what looks like a small heatsink inside the power supply unit. I would have taken a picture but my camera loves using up batteries with 5 or so pictures and I have no spares on hand. Thus that's kind of hard to do at the moment.

I've been having no problems with the power supply or anything, just concerned about what the smell and possible melted thing could mean. I'll try and get some batteries to take a picture, though I doubt it will show up that well.

Also there's been no smoke that I've seen if it matters any.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure my PSU is still under warranty, though I don't want to RMA if it's not a big deal. I'm not that familiar with possible problems for computer parts. So I don't know if it's serious or not since it doesn't seem to cause problems besides the smell. I do tend to sniff down my computer a lot from habit since my laptop had overheating issues so I always seem to double check randomly. I suppose if someone saw me sniffing my computer every time it got hot they'd think I was loony.

Well I moved my computer and it's getting more air, though if I sniff near the PSU I can still vaguely smell it. Which I'll admit makes me feel a bit uneasy. Do you think I should RMA it, or see how it does on it's own. Though it would be a bit annoying to have my computer out of commission for a while.

I found a picture on the internet that seems to show the thing that looks like it may have melted. But I think perhaps it might not be melted after all.

Though I found it odd that the white stuff would be in such odd spots. But I guess that may be normal, yet weird. So I guess it's okay for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts