Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is my first overclocking adventure, and my first custom build, and I've got a couple of questions.

First of all, the CPU I've got is an L650C690. Is it correct then that it was produced right around Christmas of 2006? And does anybody know well it will overclock?

Secondly, right now I've got it running Orthos (small FFT's, whatever that means, to stress the CPU only), but I've only been running Orthos for an hour each time after raising the FSB. Should I be testing longer, or will testing for only one hour be alright?

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
What I would do, is test orthos for maybe an hour or so each time you bump it up, until it fails. Then drop back to the previous setting, and test for longer periods of time. Do this until you're satisfied that the chip is stable (i.e. 4 hours, 8 hours, 24 hours, or whatever). Then, if you're satisfied with the clock, you're finished. Otherwise, you can try upping the vcore and increment the FSB again.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch! Right now I'm fifteen minutes into my current Orthos run, so hopefully that will work out. Meanwhile, have a rep.

·
Power Squid
9,609 Posts
You should manage 333FSB on an E6420 without even haveing to touch your vCore, provided your motherboard can handle the bus. When I first built my current system I put my E6600 straight to 3.06Ghz before I even installed Windows.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mentholmoose
View Post

but I've only been running Orthos for an hour each time after raising the FSB. Should I be testing longer, or will testing for only one hour be alright?

I don't run Orthos, it's a waste of time and electricity.

I do increase the FSB and then do a PCMark05 and if it locks up, I either raise the Vc or Vdimm and/or tweak a few settings.

Then I retry till it finishes it. Then I move to 3DMark06 and once done, I don't bother with it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks and reps for everyone! Right now I've got my E6420 humming along at 2.72Ghz on 1.35V (lowest the motherboard will allow). I hope to get it to at least three Gigahertz, but first, two more questions. What is VTT voltage, and will raising it allow me to overclock higher?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mentholmoose
View Post

Thanks and reps for everyone! Right now I've got my E6420 humming along at 2.72Ghz on 1.35V (lowest the motherboard will allow). I hope to get it to at least three Gigahertz, but first, two more questions. What is VTT voltage, and will raising it allow me to overclock higher?

Well I have never heard of VTT

But on my E6420 to get to at least 3gz(I went to 3.2) I needed a hefty Bump in Vcore to get me there stable. From stock voltage @ 2.8

1 - 10 of 10 Posts