Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The ones that are currently out there are 67DF:C7 and 67DF:C4, which have been found in other tests, both from the Polaris 10 family. The change in the numbers after the colon are models that derive from the fully unlocked GPU, so C7 is the unlocked GPU and C4 is the cut-down one that will be sold for a bit cheaper. The benchmark results seem to support this as well.
Source

Best part....

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_run.php?q=c2ffcdf4d2b3d2efdce4dde4d5e5c3b18cbc9aff9aa797b1c2ffc7&l=en

1.27GHz?

Wrong memory? maybe ddr5x?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think it's GDDR5 memory going by the clocks there, 7.6GHz on a 256-bit bus is about 241GB/s.

It's still a very good result, and I can't wait to see how the card performs.

·
AMD Overclocker
6,277 Posts
See it says there 36CU's.

Is AMD sticking to their traditional CU design of 64 SP's 4 Tmu's or they doing something different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The real question is how it performs in dx11 games and games that AMD haven't done well In, in the past rather than how it does in games that already run well on it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CataclysmZA View Post

I think it's GDDR5 memory going by the clocks there, 7.6GHz on a 256-bit bus is about 241GB/s.

I see you work for this site?

·
AMD Overclocker
6,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTree View Post

Quote:

yes it's our local South African Gaming and Technology magazine. Like PC Format. But local. But it isn't really a magazine anymore. RIP hard copy. Rip 4.7GB free DVD's from nag and Rip double sided DVD's from PCFormat SA.
sad-smiley-002.gif

·
AMD Overclocker
6,277 Posts
Assuming AMD is not RADICALLY changing the GCN design and we go by the amount of CU's Sandra is reporting. We get 2304 SP's and 144 TMU's . Anyone else think this might be a 32ROP part? I do.

·
AMD Overclocker
6,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

I was really hoping the rumors of Polaris 10's very midrange performance would be untrue :/
why? It's the best option for AMD right now. Because their mid range is where their oldest technology currently resides. Pitcairn in the 370 and 370x is 4 years old almost.

You really think AMD is going to gain market share by competing with 1080 at the moment? they won't.

Because 10 $299 cards are sold for. Every $500+ card.

So they gain a hell of a lot of market share by being able to replace the aging Pitcairn/Taihiti/Tonga parts (maybe even Hawaii as well) selling at Pitcairns price point and Hawaii performance. Do you know how many people I am telling to hold out on buying 390's because Polaris is about to drop. So far 5 people. How many are interested in a 1080 or a massive high end chip like Fiji? 0 why? They cannot afford it.

People without a massive budget and young gamers on mom and dad's budget will more than likely get a 299card than a 499 or 599 card. And that is where the majority of the market share is at right now.

It's a smart move by AMD.

• Rep+
Reactions: NicksTricks007

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wafer costs and GloFo . Can they beat 16nm?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Is AMD sticking to their traditional CU design of 64 SP's 4 Tmu's or they doing something different.
I think it'll be slightly tweaked. We'll gave to see how many ROPs the GTX 1070 has, but I think the Polaris 10 parts will have at least 32 ROPs for 1440p performance. It'll probably kick the R9 380 and R9 390X to the curb.

Quote:

I do! Been a few years now. I joined the OC forums because of one of my articles that was shared years ago, dealing with the FreeSync announcements and my future predictions.

·
AMD Overclocker
6,277 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

I think it'll be slightly tweaked. We'll gave to see how many ROPs the GTX 1070 has, but I think the Polaris 10 parts will have at least 32 ROPs for 1440p performance. It'll probably kick the R9 380 and R9 390X to the curb.
Quote:

I do! Been a few years now. I joined the OC forums because of one of my articles that was shared years ago, dealing with the FreeSync announcements and my future predictions.
I miss the mags man.
sad-smiley-002.gif

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

So, the C7 looks to be comparable to a GTX970/R9 380x, but AMD's performance gain in DX12 over DX11 is anywhere from 20-50%. So the C7 could just end up being a more energy efficient 380x. I was hoping for better performance to be honest, but if it's cheap I might sell my 970 for it. And I'm just pulling at straws here with the information provided. I wish they leaked a DX11 benchmark, that would be more comparable for me.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Quote:

why? It's the best option for AMD right now. Because their mid range is where their oldest technology currently resides. Pitcairn in the 370 and 370x is 4 years old almost.

You really think AMD is going to gain market share by competing with 1080 at the moment? they won't.

So they gain a hell of a lot of market share by being able to replace the aging Pitcairn/Taihiti/Tonga parts (maybe even Hawaii as well) selling at Pitcairns price point and Hawaii performance. Do you know how many people I am telling to hold out on buying 390's because Polaris is about to drop. So far 5 people. How many are interested in a 1080 or a massive high end chip like Fiji? 0 why? They cannot afford it.

People without a massive budget and young gamers on mom and dad's budget will more than likely get a 299card than a 499 or 599 card. And that is where the majority of the market share is at right now.

People are like Sheep, if somone asks, what is the faster card you can buy? Other guys says Nvidia 1080 but that is 699,- Hmm wel what else do they have that is cheaper? That would be the 1070 for 450, well okay ill take that 1. There is no way that person is going to buy an AMD card because Nvidia has the fastest card. I worked in a PC store and everyone wanted to buy an Intel cpu matter how hard i tried to convince them AMD is better in the Athlon and X2 days. People hear what is or what was the fastest and buy stuf from that brand.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarfare View Post

So, the C7 looks to be comparable to a GTX970/R9 380x, but AMD's performance gain in DX12 over DX11 is anywhere from 20-50%. So the C7 could just end up being a more energy efficient 380x. I was hoping for better performance to be honest, but if it's cheap I might sell my 970 for it. And I'm just pulling at straws here with the information provided. I wish they leaked a DX11 benchmark, that would be more comparable for me.
You can't compare two different benchmarks from two different test systems. The person who did the 67DF:C7 test already did a 390 series test. We also have absolutely no idea at what clock speed or any other circumstances he tested the 67DF:C7 at.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Quote:

They don't really have a choice, if they could compete with the 1080 they would.

Volume does not equal profit, and the margins on these cards won't be that great. Meanwhile NV will be gauging everybody in the high end market, probably earning many times the amount per unit that AMD will be.

I agree that AMD are making the best business decision they can, but they aren't intentionally focusing on shifting a high volume of mid-range cards as you seem to be insinuating. That would be silly, the truth is they simply don't have a choice.

They'll probably release something competitive in the high end eventually, at which stage I'll buy a 1080 or AMD equivalent, but as consumers the current strategy isn't exactly going to be beneficial to us.

·
GPU Enthusiast
2,561 Posts
So if the C7 card ends up being the 480/490, and comes with stock clock 1300mhz it will just hit 6Tflops. My guess is it will be slightly slower than the GTX 1070 in DX11 if they haven't made any improvements in IPC while being faster in DX12.

I think AMD may hold off on the full die (if this isn't it) for the 480X/490X and slap GDDR5X on it in attempts to put something in the range of the 1080 performance slot in a few months (just before vega). Vega will likely be a significant amount faster than the 1080, but the 1080ti/Titan will be a huge struggle if AMD hasn't gotten any increased performance out of GCN 1.4.

I hate waiting
mad.gif
At this point AMD is either playing it super close to the chest, or the release date may be further off than we're all hoping
frown.gif
; very few leaks for p10.

·
You broke it!
14,286 Posts
Quote:

I miss the mags man.
sad-smiley-002.gif
+1 to missing the magazines, I miss smelling between the pages of the new magazines. All those brain melting chemicals used in the printing process!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihilOC View Post

They don't really have a choice, if they could compete with the 1080 they would.

Volume does not equal profit, and the margins on these cards won't be that great. Meanwhile NV will be gauging everybody in the high end market, probably earning many times the amount per unit that AMD will be.

I agree that AMD are making the best business decision they can, but they aren't intentionally focusing on shifting a high volume of mid-range cards as you seem to be insinuating. That would be silly, the truth is they simply don't have a choice.

They'll probably release something competitive in the high end eventually, at which stage I'll buy a 1080 or AMD equivalent, but as consumers the current strategy isn't exactly going to be beneficial to us.
While volume can't guarantee profit, it really is one of the keys to it. Gaining market while gaining profit will allow them to address the ultra high end, which is actually very small. So, yes, while Nvidia devours the ultra high end, AMD needs to get a very strong foundation where it truly does matter.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Quote:

why? It's the best option for AMD right now.
Because I want competition in the high end for the first time in 3 years thats why. And honestly the fact that AMD can only manage such a very midrange card and lower clock speeds than Nvidia on a supposedly superior process node is indicative that Vega will more than likely not win out against Nvidia's high end either come later this year which is even more disappointing.

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Quote:

This here is the key.

If AMD has a card that matches 1080 performance and charges the same, few would buy it. At 10% cheaper many still wouldn't buy it. I'd wager at this point, people want a 30% discount from AMD before even considering their products.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts