Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to keep my card $300 or less, this will be on a single monitor and will be mostly used for Diablo 3 (do not play BF3 at all). I have found some 570's right at that limit and some used 580's. I was also looking at 7850's and even 560's which are comfortably under my budget. My brother's current card is a 560ti and plays most games I am into very well at high settings.

Currently in my cart is EVGA gtx570 for $290 after rebates http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593

Browsing tonight, I came across HIS Radeon HD 7870 Fan GHz Edition 2GB for $300 after rebates. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161411

Will the 7870 at this price be a hands down winner? I've never used HIS cards, are they reliable? The special ends tonight on it, so I don't know if I should hop on it.

This will be paired with an i5-3750k, asrock z77 extreme4, rosewill capstone-750.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
depends newegg still has the GTX 480 on sale for 200
Here

that will match the 570 and if you want to overclock you will get better performance granted it runs a tad hot and uses more power

the 7850 is a good card also which trades blows with the 480.
i cant say much for HIS as i dont have any experience with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to grab the 7870 while it was at this price. The 480 was very tempting, and would have won if my budget wasn't higher. But the reviews of heat, sound, power consumption tipped me towards the newer card. The only issue is this card doesn't match my black and red theme like the 570!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedbones View Post

I decided to grab the 7870 while it was at this price. The 480 was very tempting, and would have won if my budget wasn't higher. But the reviews of heat, sound, power consumption tipped me towards the newer card. The only issue is this card doesn't match my black and red theme like the 570!
i hear they overclock pretty well. i grabbed the 480 and threw it under water things still a beast when you can keep it cool

1 - 7 of 7 Posts