Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i have this little problem. So my Synology DS115J and PC (Sabertooth P67 lan port) are connected both via cable (cat.6) to the ASUS RT-AC56U. The disks are a WD Red (NAS) and a WD Black (PC, btw i have tried also the SSD) and my transfert speed doesn't exceed 21MB/sec. Isn't a bit low? Thank you.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It depends on what you are transferring. For lots of small files, that sounds about right. For one big file then yes that is rather low.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
Your network cables are fine because 100 megabit would get you stuck closer to 10-12 megabytes/sec

They(Synology) list an average write("upload") of 62.56 for large(3 gigabyte) files and 30.96 for small files(3000 x 1 megabyte files) Smaller files can get much slower.

If you happen to have turned on encryption that tanks down to 13.74 and 8.74.

On the plus side reading back is generally faster.

If you just got a new version of DSM it may be doing some background work that could slow things down a bit as well. You can see the cpu load when you login to DSM.

I think you would need a NAS with a faster cpu for better rates, but once you hit smaller files it can still slow down noticeably.

• Rep+
Reactions: Vesimas

·
Politically incorrect
9,299 Posts
Specifications:

CPU ModelMarvell Armada 370 88F6707
CPU Frequency800 MHz
System Memory256 MB DDR3

https://www.synology.cn/en-global/products/DS115j#spec

It's a pretty low end NAS running Linux. You are severely bottlenecked by the CPU and Samba. While the size can't be argued with you could buy an Optiplex for 50 USD and get better performance out of it than this NAS, which is why I built an ATX size NAS and put it under the settee in the living room.

In the future I intend to get one as pfSense/OpenSense firewall.

http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/optiplex-755/pd

• Rep+

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Teachradar's review i read about a transfert rate of 46MB/sec to the NAS:(

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
File size maybe.

You can try robocopy. It is faster for some. It is what I used to bulk transfer data to my nas.

Can you log into your nas and disable any services you are not using. It may free up some memory(to help buffer data) and cpu power. I did not install anything on mine(no download station, photo station, audio station, video station). The package manager can disable things you are not using.

You can try to transfer a file and monitor system usage as well.

This one is still "slow" at 1.33ghz(512 megabytes of memory), but it is dual core(SAMBA is pretty single threaded as far as I know) so it about 80 percent of 1 core if it is only using one. Even with memory use low, most of the extra is used for a cache/buffer so keeping free memory should help.

Large file, faster transfer

As already said, I think that the cpu is holding back so giving as much of it to the feature you want is best(thus disabling un-used stuff).

• Rep+

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
I easily clear 100MB/s+ with my unraid box, so even 40MB/s is pretty slow.
So my guess would be that the NAS itself isn't able to keep up with the calculations needed.

Try with different sized files like others have mentioned.
But if you need high performance, it would be best to look into a more expensive synology box, or build your own nas box.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just removed all except the server media app. Trying to transfert something to do some test:
1) movie of 4GB at 9MB/sec
2) iso of 11GB at 9MB/sec
3) tv serie of 329MB at 24MB/sec
4) pdf of 218MB at 24MB/sec

Just for curiosity i tryed downloading from the NAS and both 320MB file or 4GB file transfert at 17MB/sec (max 39% cpu usage)

If the review was right about the speed i think there is something wrong somewhere
frown.gif

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think i solved the problem. I'm a total noob about NAS and i was uploading files with the DSM interface. I noticed the "folder" network on Win10 file explorer, the i choose my NAS, i put the credential and now i upload file at 45-60MB/sec
tongue.gif
Just for example i uploaded a file of 4.32GB in 90 seconds when after almost 3 minutes was at 30% under DSM

Thank you all and rep for all of you that answered me
biggrin.gif

·
Politically incorrect
9,299 Posts
Fortunately you got it solved. My own Windows media server copies sometimes at over 120MBps due to having it connected to my gigabit router and to my PC directly. I have even seen speeds of 160MBps, which is over gigabit speed and basically the maximum speed of the drives in the machine. So if you do upgrade to something custom you should achieve at least double the speeds you are seeing now.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesimas View Post

I think i solved the problem. I'm a total noob about NAS and i was uploading files with the DSM interface. I noticed the "folder" network on Win10 file explorer, the i choose my NAS, i put the credential and now i upload file at 45-60MB/sec
tongue.gif
Just for example i uploaded a file of 4.32GB in 90 seconds when after almost 3 minutes was at 30% under DSM

Thank you all and rep for all of you that answered me
biggrin.gif
Well that explains that.

I have never tried to transfer files via DSM.

Glad to see your system is performing as expected now.

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Yea you almost never want to interact with the files via the built in file manager if you can avoid it.
The whole point to a NAS is network share.

While the speeds are a lot better, if you built a real NAS using something like unraid and actual computer hardware, you could get 100MB/s+

·
Registered
493 Posts
The DS115J is 6" by 3" by 9", weighs 1.5 pounds, consumes 3.5 watts (plus the drive), costs 100 dollars, and requires virtually no setup whatsoever. I think you would be hard pressed to build a machine that could match that.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
I agree for the most part.

Power consumption aside, almost everyone has an old system that may make a decent NAS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts