Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Astronomers recently scrambled to observe an intriguing asteroid that zipped through the solar system on a steep trajectory from interstellar space-the first confirmed object from another star.

Now, new data reveal the interstellar interloper to be a rocky, cigar-shaped object with a somewhat reddish hue. The asteroid, named 'Oumuamua by its discoverers, is up to one-quarter mile (400 meters) long and highly-elongated-perhaps 10 times as long as it is wide. That aspect ratio is greater than that of any asteroid or comet observed in our solar system to date. While its elongated shape is quite surprising, and unlike asteroids seen in our solar system, it may provide new clues into how other solar systems formed.

source

·
Loosing Vision
1,892 Posts
LOL!

May give clue on how our system was formed! So our solar system superseded all others? If you had a artist concept of a triangle shape space floaty would you say it may hold clues to why are everything was formed?

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryBummer View Post

LOL!

May give clue on how our system was formed! So our solar system superseded all others? If you had a artist concept of a triangle shape space floaty would you say it may hold clues to why are everything was formed?
I refuse to believe your reading comprehension is that bad.

• Nothing says ours was first.
  • Nothing says it would tell us how ours was formed.
  • The above text is a quote from the source, NOT the user's comments on the matter.
  • A triangle space floaty would not give us info about how a system formed, but it would provide pretty good evidence that other life is out there.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dimaggio1103

·
What should be here ?
5,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G woodlogger View Post

Well, in a SF I just read(podcast) the asteroid turned out to be a space ship.
Everyone knows we're being observed on this highly elliptical flat disk that Tango's around a light bulb.

/s

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,822 Posts
Dazzle me pink!

·
WaterCooler
4,045 Posts
Better go find the humpback whales.

·
Reject the system
1,555 Posts
Quote:

LOL!

I'm not entirely sure you read the article or watched the video. May want to do some informal knowledge checks before making such statements...

·
生き甲斐がない
446 Posts
Quote:

LOL!

What are you on about? How did you figure any of that from from the article?
Quote:

Well, the persons in that podcast are liars.

·
Otherworlder
7,521 Posts
Quote:

no! its a stray bullet from a mass driver cannon!

sorry i couldn't help it.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Quote:

LOL!

This is what happens when you take too many drugs kids
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
844 Posts
The shape is strange, it's unlikely for an object in space to always point in the direction of travel, since that's relative to the other objects in space. That's why you'd expect wear to be more even.

I'm guessing it's metallic and basically one solid chunk, perhaps from a planet too close to a star that went supernova. Otherwise, that shape wouldn't last against solar erosion, and the origin of such a large chunk of heavy metal is unlikely to form/solidify outside the core of a planet. They should do a simulation to see what shape a molten slag of metal will take if hit by a super nova, gets ripped from a planet's core, and cools in space
smile.gif
I'm sure it'll come out elongated.

·
Facepalm
9,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Beregond View Post

Better go find the humpback whales.
Star Trek IV Reference?
smile.gif
Awesome movie.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Oh God, its the space probe from Star Trek IV!! Quick, somebody find some whales to tell this thing what to go do with itself!!!
biggrin.gif

·
Iconoclast
30,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbird View Post

The shape is strange, it's unlikely for an object in space to always point in the direction of travel, since that's relative to the other objects in space.
I haven't seen any mention of it always pointing in it's direction of travel. Indeed, that seems fairly impossible, with no forces acting to change the way it's pointing, but it's trajectory being changed by the gravity of objects it passes by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbird View Post

Otherwise, that shape wouldn't last against solar erosion, and the origin of such a large chunk of heavy metal is unlikely to form/solidify outside the core of a planet.
Erosion of asteroids by solar wind (or the interstellar medium it likely spent a significant portion of it's existence in) is virtually nil. There is certainly space weathering, which is likely responsible for the color observed, but such weathering doesn't alter the shape or mass of objects by any significant degree.

The size of the object also isn't that unusual, even if it is metallic; there are plenty of metallic asteroids in our own solar system of similar or greater size.

Only it's shape and trajectory seem particularly unusual at this point.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts