Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was wondering, in my bios there are two settings: one says over-voltage NB Vcore to +1.3 and Over-voltage SB Vcore to +1.6. What do those two settings mean? And will it ruin my cpu or motherboard in anyway if i enable it? Because enabling it allows my overclock of 2.5 to run stable on prime 95 with a voltage of 1.44. So can you guys tell me what these too are? I know they stand for North Bridge and South Bridge but what does that mean? And if i enable it will it ruin my comp in any way? and if so which parts?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HBKECA

Hey guys i was wondering, in my bios there are two settings: one says over-voltage NB Vcore to +1.3 and Over-voltage SB Vcore to +1.6. What do those two settings mean? And will it ruin my cpu or motherboard in anyway if i enable it? Because enabling it allows my overclock of 2.5 to run stable on prime 95 with a voltage of 1.44. So can you guys tell me what these too are? I know they stand for North Bridge and South Bridge but what does that mean? And if i enable it will it ruin my comp in any way? and if so which parts?

Hi HBKECA,

Here's a link that will answer your questions better than I could concerning the north and south bridges and their function:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_(computing)

As for the voltage. As with everything, more voltage means more power within the computer, but also means more heat. If the ASUS motherboard will allow these settings, then proceeding cautiously .1 volt at a time to reach stability with your OC'd settings. As for the max settings, I don't really know. However, I will find out and post back.

I hope this helped, :)

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HBKECA

Hi HBKECA,

I found this review with pictures of your motherboard.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...n32-sli/1.html

From the looks of it and after reading the article, the North and South Bridges on your board have heat pipes for cooling, vs active type (fan) or passive type (just a heat sink). To your question of ruining the motherboard, I think ASUS has thought about that and with the heatpipes addressed the problem of heat on those chipsets. It's a very nice board from a very good manufacturer. I've used several ASUS boards in the past for overclocking, and had no problems with any of them. As for the max voltage allowed. I can't seem to find an answer, so I'll go with my first assessment. You should increase voltage slowly and get to a point where the board remains stable at the overclock you reach. I think you've reached that, so my guess and it's only a guess, that you should be alright.
I hope this helped, :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Just from the voltages alone, It seems your NB voltage of 1.3 refers to your LDT. And the SB voltage of 1.6 refers to your chipset.
That's just a guess, but an educated one

1 - 5 of 5 Posts