Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
!
9,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was available from them for as low as $100 after rebate in the past but this is the best deal for a 460 I'm aware of currently. Should qualify for free shipping as well as it's more than $50 and less than 200lbs, and no tax.

For folders this card should get around 12K PPD once overclocked and if you want to run it at max overclock 24/7 I would get some sort of VRM cooling which makes it almost as much as the Asus with VRM cooling, but other than that this is an excellent card.

MSI 460 1Gb Hawk link.

Rebate link.

EDIT: looks to be out of stock or backordered now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How is MSI in terms of rebates? I know XFX is excellent about rebates (with some people getting theirs in two weeks).

Also, how does this thing compare to a 6870 1GB?

·
!
9,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will be about even with a 6870, but with better tessellation performance. I haven't used an MSI rebate before.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I decided to pick one of these up for my new 2500K build. It's a decent bump in performance over my 4870 512MB. Plus when NVidia releases the 6xx series this 460 can be used as a PhysX card (overkill for PhysX, yes I know
wink.gif
). 460's in SLI are still quite potent Ex:http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/314?vs=305&i=188.191.194.200.203.206.210.213.216.219.223.228.229.230.231.232.233.234.235.238

Also, from the reviews I have read about this card it overclocks very well. It looks like most people should be able to hit ~900-950Mhz. I guess that MSI has been able to hit 1Ghz on air in their labs so hopefully there are a few golden chips still floating around.
wink.gif

It also has a 7+1 phase power supply so I wonder if it would actually need heatsinks on the VRMs?

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
I got this when they had it for $100 AR. I am getting around 11,000 PPD depending on the WU.
I can't get it over 850 core/1700 Shader (780/ 1560/ 1800 stock) though without it crashing while folding. I know it has voltage adjustment, and may mess with that later.
The cooler works very well and does not start getting loud till about 70% (and only runs that high because I set a custome fan profile to start cooling more @ 60°C).

I have done several MSI motherboard rebates and they are slow (8-10 weeks) but I have never had a problem getting it.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher;15348587
I got this when they had it for $100 AR. I am getting around 11,000 PPD depending on the WU.
I can't get it over 850 core/1700 Shader (780/ 1560/ 1800 stock) though without it crashing while folding. I know it has voltage adjustment, and may mess with that later.
The cooler works very well and does not start getting loud till about 70% (and only runs that high because I set a custome fan profile to start cooling more @ 60°C).

I have done several MSI motherboard rebates and they are slow (8-10 weeks) but I have never had a problem getting it.
biggrin.gif
These cards were meant to have their voltage raised. [email protected] is also a pretty stressful benchmark. If it's [email protected] stable you KNOW that it's stable.
wink.gif

Only 5 cards left!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesethunda;15348607
i can put 2 addresses to mail the rebate no?
I guess it depends on if they actually look at the address on the invoice and compare it to the address you send in on the form.

EDIT: The rebate states
Quote:
The address on your rebate
application must match the billing address on the receipt, packing slip or invoice. Limit One (1) rebate per qualifying rebate offer, per person, billing address, company,
household and receipt/invoice/packing slip during the eligibility period, except were prohibited by law. Only one (1) rebate application per envelope.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
how high of volts/clocks can these be pushed to? well on the invoice i had each order billed to a different address. So i guess i'll see how that turns out

also you can SLI these right?

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesethunda;15348669

Yes, and they are like in the 480 range when SLI'd

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesethunda;15348669
how high of volts/clocks can these be pushed to? well on the invoice i had each order billed to a different address. So i guess i'll see how that turns out

Here is a review:

This guy got his up to 988Mhz core / 1976 Shader / 1120 Memory http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3496/msi_geforce_gtx_460_hawk_1gb_video_card_overclocked/index.html

Looks like it trades blows / beats a 470 in the benchmark results. Also keep in mind that these tests are with year old drivers.

You can SLI these, you just can't Tri-SLI them.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Terms of rebates, I did the rush processing when I bought these on Newegg and it came through in less than a week. I got two of these and it runs all games I play, (Shift 2, Shift 1, Black ops, etc...) at max EXCEPT for GTA Iv.

Edit - I worded it wrong, there is an option for Rush for the rebate which takes away $4 But it was less than a week so I'm happy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts