Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my cpu fan has been playing up i really need to get one with good airflow and 1600rpm+.

I tried my noctua NF P12 on my heatsink but the temps went up like 2 deg and BFBC2 kept c2d after it hit over 60c :/ i think the reason why is because its 1300rpm.

So can anyone recommend me a good cpu fan?

·
:)
11,146 Posts
buy another fan and make push/pull, save yourself the headache of fan noise

EDIT: Ive tested myself with two noctuas and two high rpm YL's, and the difference was almost nothing when it was push/pull on both, max 1-2c better on the Yl's.
Those extra 1-2c is not worth the noise, so buy a second noctua

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thing is though is that i dont understand why its giving me a extra 2c for adding a better fan it might be because i replaced the back fan with a cooler master and that was where the noctua was also it was taking longer to cool down off load.

I would get another fan if i could but 1) is that i need a bracket for my hs and 2) i think my northbridge is in the way.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
You can tie another fan on with cable ties.

The Noctua gets its quietness in part by reducing its output.

Rather than get another fan, put that CM on the back of your heatsink, just to test temps. With the side panel off you won't need an exhaust fan.

OTOH, I don't use an exhaust fan at all.

·
11,146 Posts
so ehume, where does the hot air go out in your case?

MaxFTW, go buy 2 extra noctua's then, one for exhaust and one for push/pull with the one you already have. Like ehume said, zip-ties work very well, I use that on my T.R.U.E for push/pull.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by go4life
View Post

so ehume, where does the hot air go out in your case?

Anywhere it wants (ba-dump)

The PCIE slots will have no covers, and the rear exhaust fan position is a gaping hole. I'll have front, bottom, side and two top fans all putting air into the case. I rather suspect most of it will blow out the back of the case.

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxFTW
View Post

I tried my noctua NF P12 on my heatsink but the temps went up like 2 deg and BFBC2 kept c2d after it hit over 60c :/ i think the reason why is because its 1300rpm.

It's more because Noctua's fans don't have very good static pressure. If you want a good replacement, look for the Zalman ZM-F3; cheap, available almost everywhere, and a much better performer in all applications. Comes with resistor wires for undervolting, too.

·
Overclocker
1,577 Posts
Check these out...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103063

They truly move the most air per minute, per cupic feet out of all the 120mm fans I have seen, and and are truly, very quiet! The quietest of the 120mm fans that I have found!

Edit - I bought two of these and used them to replace the failing Tt Case Fans on the front of my Armor Case. My CPU Temps dropped by 3c after that; as the older Tt fans were only running at 1200 rpm and those newer Cooler Masters were at 2100rpm! They move a TON of air, super fast, and super quiet! ..oh and the greenish glow seems to look better in my black case then the standard blue glow that everyone has to have...

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjc75
View Post

Check these out...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103063

They truly move the most air per minute, per cupic feet out of all the 120mm fans I have seen, and and are truly, very quiet! The quietest of the 120mm fans that I have found!

I think you've been lied to... because those don't come close to being quiet or having "the most air per minute".

·
Overclocker
1,577 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
I think you've been lied to... because those don't come close to being quiet or having "the most air per minute".
Actually, I speak from exprience; due to having them in current use within my Case.

They are what they say they are!

I hear the fan on my GTX 275 over these. But these, I can barely hear at all, and the airflow I can feel as though my hand were being placed inside a wind tunnel! They are most certainly moving a ton of air, very fast... and they are most definetely very quiet!

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjc75 View Post
Actually, I speak from exprience; due to having them in current use within my Case.

They are what they say they are!
My guess is that they're the first aftermarket fans you've used?

·
11,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

My guess is that they're the first aftermarket fans you've used?

You read my mind. No way those fans are quiet, ive had some CM fans, and they did NOT move a lot of air compared to noise. (looked cool though..)

·
11,146 Posts
very well, have fun with your mediocre fans

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

It's more because Noctua's fans don't have very good static pressure. If you want a good replacement, look for the Zalman ZM-F3; cheap, available almost everywhere, and a much better performer in all applications. Comes with resistor wires for undervolting, too.

+1 on the Zalman good airflow and static pressure and cheap. If you wanna something better Scythe S-Flex or Gentle Typhoon. Could also look at some 120x38 fans if you can fit it.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Ambients around 18c:

Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP (A12025-20RB-3BN-F1) 1900 rpm 9-bladed fan. at 166x20 = 3652. idle 785 41.5, 34/24c. With LinX running: 1800 rpm, 48 dBA 71(74)/61c.

Zalman ZM-F3 #1. 1809 rpm. ZF1225ASH

3652. idle 735 rpm, 43 dBA, 35/25c. With LinX running: 1740 rpm, 53.5 dBA, 71(73)/60c.

This is from a preliminary study I did. You can't take it to the bank, but the numbers convinced me of something I would not have believed: the two fans are comparable. Understand: I loved my first ZM-F3 to buy another one right quick. And I did not think much of the CM, until I tested it. Now I think I was wrong about it.

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
Well. You still can't discount that the ZM-F3 is right up there with Yate Loon when it comes to price/performance. Plus it undervolts better than most other sleeve bearing fans, and provides 9v and 7v (iirc) resistor wires so you CAN undervolt.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
Well. You still can't discount that the ZM-F3 is right up there with Yate Loon when it comes to price/performance. Plus it undervolts better than most other sleeve bearing fans, and provides 9v and 7v (iirc) resistor wires so you CAN undervolt.
That's why I bought a second for a push-pull setup. They're great fans.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts