Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a better psu for my dell 2400, im not sure exactly what is has now, but its not cutting it, so could you recommend some?

·
Overclockiit
3,418 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesT

I need a better psu for my dell 2400, im not sure exactly what is has now, but its not cutting it, so could you recommend some?

Well its probably a 250watt, I recomend an Antec 350watt or higher.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Give us your model number, because some Dells have the 12v rail switched, so if you use a standard PSU, you will fry the mobo!!! Just post your Dell model number (Optiplex, lattitude, Dimension) and the model number and I will look it up.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
all dell psu's (at least up to the 4600 that i have) are 250 watt piles of crap. you might wanna take apart the atx mobo connector and make sure that the wires are the same as teh ones on your psu that youre getting...just a thought.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Dell Dimension 2400, yr 2003

Looks to me like you will need a special PSU. Here is the link at PC Power and Cooling. The PSU is 425Watts and costs $149. Just to verify though, look at your ATX plug and match it with this diagram (click the see diagram link at the bottom). That will let you know if the pin out is standard or not. The diagram is of a standard ATX 20 pin Plug. The top one is your 4 pin molex. Let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

Looks to me like you will need a special PSU. Here is the link at PC Power and Cooling. The PSU is 425Watts and costs $149. Just to verify though, look at your ATX plug and match it with this diagram (click the see diagram link at the bottom). That will let you know if the pin out is standard or not. The diagram is of a standard ATX 20 pin Plug. The top one is your 4 pin molex. Let us know what you find out!

It is possible to rewire a normal power supply to work on your Dell. Dell and Mac both have special power supplies but the only dif is that the wires are in a different order (they do this so they can charge u up the @$$ 145 dollars for a mac PSU). I had a mac that lost its PSU I rewired a normal PSU to match and it works just fine, I also rewired a Dell PSU to fit a normal PC also works fine so it is possible to do this but I do not know how much u know about wiring this is one thing I am good at. You need to use a volt meter to match the wires make sure that all the wires have the right voltage to them. Let me know if u try this I will try to help.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowboy

It is possible to rewire a normal power supply to work on your Dell. Dell and Mac both have special power supplies but the only dif is that the wires are in a different order (they do this so they can charge u up the @$$ 145 dollars for a mac PSU). I had a mac that lost its PSU I rewired a normal PSU to match and it works just fine, I also rewired a Dell PSU to fit a normal PC also works fine so it is possible to do this but I do not know how much u know about wiring this is one thing I am good at. You need to use a volt meter to match the wires make sure that all the wires have the right voltage to them. Let me know if u try this I will try to help.

True, Like I said all they do is switch the 12V rails. I would however check the diagrams to make sure that Dell infact has switched the 12V on your PSU. I don't think they do it on the newer ones, better safe than sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts