Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So get this, I got my SLI Titans (was possibly the first person to get the Titan even), and my PSU has started sputtering on me. It's a Fractal Design Newton R2 1000w. Whenever my GPUs load it starts to emit a coil whine like noise, and has been hampering my benchmarking of the cards. I've been in touch with FD USA about getting it replaced, but wanted to look around and see if people had recommendations for me on a new PSU because I have no idea how long this RMA will take. Right now my system is as follows:

i5 3570k @ 4.7ghz 1.28v
4 x Corsair Vengeance DDR 1600mhz 4GB DIMMs
Corsair H100i + 2 Corsair SP120L fans
2 x EVGA Nvidia Geforce Titans @ 28% ish OC
1 ASUS Wireless card
6 x Cougar Vortex HPB 120mm fans
Built in Fan Controller

I used the PSU Calc program on OCN (no Titan so I substituted with the 690) and got 890 watts. I'm guessing I need a minimum 900W PSU, but does anyone know what's the best bang for buck PSU in that range? Much prefer full modular. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomTaco View Post

So get this, I got my SLI Titans (was possibly the first person to get the Titan even), and my PSU has started sputtering on me. It's a Fractal Design Newton R2 1000w. Whenever my GPUs load it starts to emit a coil whine like noise, and has been hampering my benchmarking of the cards. I've been in touch with FD USA about getting it replaced, but wanted to look around and see if people had recommendations for me on a new PSU because I have no idea how long this RMA will take. Right now my system is as follows:

i5 3570k @ 4.7ghz 1.28v
4 x Corsair Vengeance DDR 1600mhz 4GB DIMMs
Corsair H100i + 2 Corsair SP120L fans
2 x EVGA Nvidia Geforce Titans @ 28% ish OC
1 ASUS Wireless card
6 x Cougar Vortex HPB 120mm fans
Built in Fan Controller

I used the PSU Calc program on OCN (no Titan so I substituted with the 690) and got 890 watts. I'm guessing I need a minimum 900W PSU, but does anyone know what's the best bang for buck PSU in that range? Much prefer full modular. Thanks guys!
Nope.
smile.gif

Don't substitute for a 690, they're not comparably consumption wise... if you wanna' substitute use a 7950.
wink.gif

What you should be looking at is a premium ~700W unit.
What is your budget and where will you be buying from?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post

Nope.
smile.gif

Don't substitute for a 690, they're not comparably consumption wise... if you wanna' substitute use a 7950.
wink.gif

What you should be looking at is a premium ~700W unit.
What is your budget and where will you be buying from?
I'd like to ideally spend under 200, but I'm not averse to a bit more, and I'd prefer to buy from Amazon (amazon prime member). Do you really think 700w is enough?? It just seems a bit on the low side when you consider the two titans alone take up 500w.

·
Bite my shiny metal GPU!
4,037 Posts
Quote:

I'd like to ideally spend under 200, but I'm not averse to a bit more, and I'd prefer to buy from Amazon (amazon prime member). Do you really think 700w is enough?? It just seems a bit on the low side when you consider the two titans alone take up 500w.
The rest of your system doesn't really use all that much power, even when overclocked.

A couple quality ~750w units I'd recommend include Rosewill's CAPSTONE-750-M ($120 @ Newegg and Amazon) and Seasonic's X750 Gold ($140 @ Newegg, $150 @ Amazon.)

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Quote:

It isn't "on the low side", 700W would be the perfect size for such a system... ~500W for the Titans is peak consumption, not typical (continuous on 99% of the workloads you'll throw at them), also the 3570K is very modest (power draw wise), if that was a highly OCd SandyB-E then 800-850W would have been desirable... not the case here though.
wink.gif

Checked Amazon and there are a few nice deals, but currently I'd suggest you buy this.... there's really nothing comparable to this at Amazon currently, this a Ridiculously good deal. It's a high end 850W Platinum unit (SF GK inside) at ~110 after promo code. It's severe overkill for your setup (especially when you consider how well these units overload), but it's simply too good to pass (and it would take a third Titan if you so decide later on).

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

It isn't "on the low side", 700W would be the perfect size for such a system... ~500W for the Titans is peak consumption, not typical (continuous on 99% of the workloads you'll throw at them), also the 3570K is very modest (power draw wise), if that was a highly OCd SandyB-E then 800-850W would have been desirable... not the case here though.
wink.gif

Checked Amazon and there are a few nice deals, but currently I'd suggest you buy this.... there's really nothing comparable to this at Amazon currently, this a Ridiculously good deal. It's a high end 850W Platinum unit (SF GK inside) at ~110 after promo code. It's severe overkill for your setup (especially when you consider how well these units overload), but it's simply too good to pass (and it would take a third Titan if you so decide later on).
I'm like 95% sold on that PSU, but there's one thing about it that kinda bugs me: the connectors. They'll definitely be a bit of an eyesore to me lol. Are there any others you might recommend besides it? Otherwise I might just go ahead and grab this one.

·
Bite my shiny metal GPU!
4,037 Posts
Quote:

wink.gif

Actually it's $104 w/ free shipping after the $40 gift card, but holy schmow is that a great deal! That high of wattage from an excellent OEM (it's derived from Super Flower's "Golden King" line) for $104 is something you don't see every day...

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Quote:

I'm like 95% sold on that PSU, but there's one thing about it that kinda bugs me: the connectors. They'll definitely be a bit of an eyesore to me lol. Are there any others you might recommend besides it? Otherwise I might just go ahead and grab this one.
There are good deals on Rosewll Tachyons as well (internally identical to the Kingwin Lazer Platinum line) and the XFX XXX Gold units (750W version specifically), also the Lepa G 1000 is an awesome deal atm.... but really, nothing as good as the LZP 850, in fact if I was in NA currently I'd buy a couple myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

Actually it's $104 w/ free shipping after the $40 gift card, but holy schmow is that a great deal! That high of wattage from an excellent OEM (it's derived from Super Flower's "Golden King" line) for $104 is something you don't see every day...
To my knowledge the promo code applies after the rebate... hence ~112$.
wink.gif

·
Bite my shiny metal GPU!
4,037 Posts
Quote:

To my knowledge the promo code applies after the rebate... hence ~112$.
wink.gif
I ran it through the cart, and it was based on 20% off the $179.99 price, leading to a total of $143.98 (or $103.98 after gift card). I think it's done that way because the $40 offer is a mail-in gift card and not automatically done through Newegg's shopping cart.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

I ran it through the cart, and it was based on 20% off the $179.99 price, leading to a total of $143.98 (or $103.98 after gift card). I think it's done that way because the $40 offer is a mail-in gift card and not automatically done through Newegg's shopping cart.
Indeed, I blame it on my laziness... a couple more clicks would have been too much.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright well I bit the bullet and bought the Kingwin PSU, many thanks to you for your help Original Sin in finding this awesome deal! I also went ahead and "signed up" (for a day) to the ShopRunner deal to get free 2 day shipping
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
You're welcome, enjoy you new gear!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, now I hope Fractal sends me an RMA one that I can just sell and maybe even make a profit off of
thumb.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts