Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

Take a look at my specs. I have an old mobo and CPU, I want to just upgrade that; but I'm thinking I need to change my ram too so it can fit my mobo. Is that true?

I ran sc2 beta on my comp and it freezes for the longest time if I were to alt-tab. Also ever so often it freezes ingame to load graphics or something for a quick 2 seconds.

I definitely need some kind of upgrade. Help please.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by III-Kill-ZonE-III
View Post

hello there

id say get a 1gb of ram or 2gb and could up the video card to this and see whay happens from there or could get a cpu upgrade
ati 5670
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-319-_-Product
amd 6000+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-772-_-Product

I like that CPU! It's ruffly x2 faster... I would also need a mobo to support it?

I have over 2.7 ghz of ram, I figure that would be enough...but if I get a new mobo to support that cpu, then I would have to buy a gig or two as well?

I like my 8600gt...I was hoping I can overclock it with a upgrade of some kind.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_um
View Post

I like that CPU! It's ruffly x2 faster... I would also need a mobo to support it?

I have over 2.7 ghz of ram, I figure that would be enough...but if I get a new mobo to support that cpu, then I would have to buy a gig or two as well?

I like my 8600gt...I was hoping I can overclock it with a upgrade of some kind.

memory isn't measured in Hz (cycles per second) it's measured in bytes ...

So is that 2.7GB of memory ? in what format ? How so ?

You should figure out what you really have before asking for advice on what to upgrade.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by III-Kill-ZonE-III
View Post

got it heres a list of the cpus that will work with it
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...specifications
to bad the 6000+ is not there

Awesome that helped a lot. That way I only have to upgrade the CPU, and I can keep my ram.

Can someone help on choosing the best one under $75?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrEaK™
View Post

I have an 8600GTS and it overclocks quite well. Though I'm not sure of the SC2 requirements

Well I put everything on low settings.

Minumum Requirements
GFX: GeForce 7/8 Series or Radeon 1000/2000 with 256 MB RAM
CPU: Pentium 4
RAM: 1 GB
Internet: ADSL 1 Mbit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Em1nenceFr0nt
View Post

memory isn't measured in Hz (cycles per second) it's measured in bytes ...

So is that 2.7GB of memory ? in what format ? How so ?

You should figure out what you really have before asking for advice on what to upgrade.

Alright I fixed my rig settings. Thanks for the correction, sorry for my stupidity...

·
Registered
819 Posts
X2's for S939 socket is very expensive. I'm not sure the exact prices now, but a X2 4400 were going for like 110+ on ebay. You could try browsing through the for sale forums to check out what's for sale.

·
Registered
819 Posts
It's slow and old tech for not a good price. You should go for an AMD II X2/Intel Dual Core cpu + motherboard + ram for not much more, albeit you would need to resell your DDR ram.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
hmmmmm thats a high cost for that cpu ive seen to on ebay some of those go for 100+$ easy hmmmmm could save up a more and get a mobo/cpu/ram for about 200-250 that will play SC2 on good settings its your call tho

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok you guys convinced me, I'm saving for a better setup. I'm ditching my mobo, cpu, and ram. Meanwhile...I want to overclock what I got.

Is there some software that improves my performance on these specs? I was thinking just buying fans.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ok you guys convinced me, I'm saving for a better setup. I'm ditching my mobo, cpu, and ram. Meanwhile...I want to overclock what I got.

Is there some software that improves my performance on these specs? I was thinking just buying fans.

you could OC that video card a bit idk about cpu tho on stock cooling
what are your temps like on stock cooling ?

and on that screen you have what res you playing at ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is a good software to distinguish the temp? 1280 x 960 res...but I can always reduce it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:

View Post

What is a good software to distinguish the temp? 1280 x 960 res...but I can always reduce it.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php this one is good download 32bit or 64bit depending on the os type

i would not oc on the stock cooler tho you could do a small OC but i dont think its worth the risk of your cpu temps are high if that mobo can oc in the bios or not im not sure i would leave the cpu and stock and OC your card a bit to help

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:

View Post

hmmmmm i see dont OC the cpu the max safe temps are 65c for that chip you could get a better cooler tho

you could pick this cooler up its better then stock cooling and it will fit with socket 939

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-075-_-Product 14.99

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Quote:

View Post

You can get a nice am3 mobo, am3 cpu, and ddr3 ram ~250$ my man. But for your resolution you will need a bit of a powerhouse of a card for that 23".

You should always overclock through the bios, software can cause problems. Also, invest in an aftermarket cooler, if that 49c is idle, then something is wrong. Try reseating the heatsink with some quality thermal paste.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts