Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This rig will mainly be used for video editing, rendering, vmware and lastly, some games.

I have my eyes mainly set on the AMD FX-8150 for now. Its not a decision set in stone, but one of my choices right now. I'm really okay with both Intel and AMD as long as they're good for my particular usage. I mainly play S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Diablo3, Skyrim, Alice, Team Fortress 2 and a couple of other indie games on Steam.

I don't really have time to play games nowadays but I'd like to indulge myself occasionally. Day to day activities would be on vmware, programming, video editing/rendering, working in photoshop.

Suggest away!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
For video editing, encoding, and rendering the eight core AMD FX-8150 and the four core 2500K are very close, neck and neck in some areas. The I5 2500K is faster at Visual Studios, LAME encoding, as well as Itunes audio encoding. The AMD FX-8150 is faster at 3D Max, Adobe Photoshop, and Solid works.

Since the 2500K is a better overclocker and better at games, I would personally lean towards the 2500K. The AMD FX-8150 still feels like a equally solid and respectable choice.

Honestly it's either 2500K or AMD FX-8150, and right now i could lean either way. If your eyes are set on the AMD FX-8150, go for it.

If you had a bigger budget, the I7 is clearly better for everything that you do.

If you haven't read this, it might help you make up your mind --> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043.html

Are you going to overclock it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, not going to overclock it. Stability and the cores are priority I suppose.

·
You broke it!
14,286 Posts
What kind of budget are we looking at here? A modestly high budget you would want something like the Core i7 3770 IvyBridge or a Core i7 2600 Sandybridge at just a few bucks cheaper, these both exceed AMD in all aspects of what you are wanting to do.

Don't have a budget? Go Core i7 Sandybridge-E, socket 2011, and just crush what you are wanting to do. These have 12 threads for you to abuse and use in your multi-threaded applications.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Doesnt mean much to me but may to the OP ive just run rendering on my fx8120 and here is the result if you are going with an FX you are just as well getting the 8120 its basically the same as the 8150 just cheaper, and clocked less though I understand they overclock within about 150mhz got mine to 4.5ghz no sweat
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Depends on budget for CPU + mobo

~$750 = i7-3630k + 2011 mobo + CPU cooler
~$370-$420 = i7-2600 or i7-3770 + H77 mobo
~$260 = 8120 or i5-2500 + cheap H61 mobo

You should really consider overclocking though. It costs a little more, but can significantly add to performance.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Is this for professional? schooling? or hobby use?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts