Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a gfx it must have hdmi with audio via cable from mobo. It will be used with a p5k-e. I can't seem to find one. I was looking at the 6450 but no spdif.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ya if a video card has hdmi it won't have a SPDIF. Since hdmi supports sound. You could look for a motherboard with spdif, and just use the hdmi for video but leave your sound output via the motherboard sound's SPDIF. Or like Mastercheese said, get a sound card with SPDIF.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think its called spdif. But there are hdmi cards that have a 4pin input on them for the sound from the mobo. I've seen them before.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by trumpet-205
View Post

Some video cards used to have 2-pin SPDIF onboard that allows user to connect it to the SPDIF header on the motherboard.

Now days modern GPUs can automatically get sound through PCIe. After installing GPU driver right click

Sound >>> Playback devices >>> Set AMD/Nvidia HDMI as default.

I have a p5k-e that I wanna do this with. So I'm assuming as long as the drivers are there for it, it will work. I never realized that they switched it like this.

Looks like I'm gonna just get the 6450 then. Thank for updating me with the times.

Otherwise I would still be looking for one.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombug;15234340
I have a p5k-e that I wanna do this with. So I'm assuming as long as the drivers are there for it, it will work. I never realized that they switched it like this.

Looks like I'm gonna just get the 6450 then. Thank for updating me with the times.
smile.gif

Otherwise I would still be looking for one.
I just put a 6450 in my HTPC, that card was made for HTPC great card!

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyFr;15236720
I just put a 6450 in my HTPC, that card was made for HTPC great card!
Cool man, glad it worked out for you, yeah, that HD 6450 looks pretty good for a silent card that can deliver movie playback.

I'm using a gt240 in my HTPC, for DXVA, and some light gaming, and I couldn't be more satisfied, it runs cool, silent, and doesn't draw much power.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1127;15236763
Cool man, glad it worked out for you, yeah, that HD 6450 looks pretty good for a silent card that can deliver movie playback.

I'm using a gt240 in my HTPC, for DXVA, and some light gaming, and I couldn't be more satisfied, it runs cool, silent, and doesn't draw much power.
Yeah after finding out how lousy my 780's built in video card was even though it was an "HTPC Motherboard" I needed to get something that was full out HDMI 1.3/1.4 compliant. Hopefully I won't need to upgrade again in a while my HTPC is strictly HTPC so no gaming or anything else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts