Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im looking for a good anti virus, anyone can recommend me something really good thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
all of the following programs are free

for your antivirus, use avast! or avira

Run prevx also. If it detects anything, don't buy the program, just run these programs to remove the infection or confirm it is a false positive:
malwarebytes anti-malware
SUPERAntiSpyware
emsisoft antimalware

To avoid running into problems over the internet use chrome with:
WOT
XMarks
LastPass

Instead of your default DNS use Norton DNS

Also, think about backing your data up locally using Paragon Free, or online using Crashplan. Crashplan is not free, but if youa re to pay for anything, pay for online backup.

·
Premium Member
13,411 Posts
Nis 11

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the better free ones and Kaspersky is one of the better paid ones.

·
Banned
432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ipwnnubletz
View Post

I believe the best antivirus is no antivirus.

But if you really want one, Avast is a great antivirus.

Avast +1.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I use Avira with the combination of superantispyware.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
MSE or Avira are good free options. Kaspersky and ESET were good paid options when I used them. I don't know how the new version fare though (in case they got bloated).

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Make sure to stay AWAY from AVG.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
NOD32 used to be good, not so much now. Avast Free is still very very good.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I really like Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0. It doesn't have many options, but it did receive a VB100 Award from Virus Bulletin (meaning it didn't let any sample zero-day or wild-list viruses pass and execute). It also monitors Windows Firewall, so there's only one program needed to monitor both (you will have to open the firewall to make changes, but MSE2.0 will let you know it's A-O.K.). You can make your own schedule, but you cannot configure it to do quick scans on one day and full scans on another. That shouldn't be a problem as quick scan is recommended most of the time. Another downside is that you cannot pause a scan, you can only cancel it. That being said, it is still an excellent free anti-virus.

As someone else said above, I'd use MSE2.0 in conjunction with Malwarebytes. Other security programs I would suggest would be Secunia PSI (free!). It looks for un-patched software that could potentially compromise your system; if possible it also finds websites you can patch them.

I got this program after reading an article in MaximumPC: BufferZone Pro (free!).
"It works it's mojo by isolating all web-based activities in a virtual bubble." (MaximumPC). Basically, if anything goes wrong and you get an infected file, it gets written to a virtual folder. This is normally more preferred to enthusiast instead of Virtualizing their entire OS (of course Virtual Machines will always be the most safeguarded. If you get infected, nuke the VM and start from scratch!).

Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts