Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so with my 10700k @ 5.1 and ram dialed in at 3500 I was finally getting zero errors in OCCT and IBT was passing and games were working and everything was fine. Then chrome started crashing or the PC would just freeze while on the desktop, doing precisely nothing with it. Zero load was too much for the PC to handle after running OCCT for almost an hour.
So, since stress tests don't work, do you guys know of any other way to test PC stability? Perhaps a good non-stress test of some sort? I put the CPU back at default because I just don't trust the stability when OC'd. I got school work and stuff online and I'm not going to lock-up during a final exam because OCCT effing lied to me.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,820 Posts
what breed of dog that isn't a mammal is best?

a test that tests for stability is a stress test. a "stability test" that doesn't stress the system doesn't exist.

if a stress test doesn't find any issues then either a) you didn't run them long enough or b) the stress test sucks.

if you're using offset you can try switching to adaptive instead, and you can try turning off Speed Step (but there's no reason you should need to disable Speed Step unless you're using offset rather than adaptive).

·
Registered
889 Posts
If your rig is crashing due to a simple stress test such as prime95, it's simply not stable. It's only a matter of time before it will freeze up when you are doing school work. Run some Prime! Blend mode is the de facto to finding instabilities fast, especially in ram. Why? Because it logs every single error that occurs.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
OK, so with my 10700k @ 5.1 and ram dialed in at 3500 I was finally getting zero errors in OCCT and IBT was passing and games were working and everything was fine. Then chrome started crashing or the PC would just freeze while on the desktop, doing precisely nothing with it. Zero load was too much for the PC to handle after running OCCT for almost an hour.
So, since stress tests don't work, do you guys know of any other way to test PC stability? Perhaps a good non-stress test of some sort? I put the CPU back at default because I just don't trust the stability when OC'd. I got school work and stuff online and I'm not going to lock-up during a final exam because OCCT effing lied to me.
Your not stable end of discussion. Play with the voltages some more or drop clocks

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard a guy say you should run a stress test for 3 years to ensure the PC remains stable throughout the expected life of the machine, otherwise you simply won't know. How long is long enough? A day? A week? I bet you can run a stress test for a whole day and chrome will still lock up on your ass.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I heard a guy say you should run a stress test for 3 years to ensure the PC remains stable throughout the expected life of the machine, otherwise you simply won't know. How long is long enough? A day? A week? I bet you can run a stress test for a whole day and chrome will still lock up on your ass.
I usually go for 1 hour, but some people might go for 24 or even 48 hours. Power is not cheap around these parts :) If it does happen to crash, I'll just feed 1 click of a button more voltage and all is well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you want to be stable or "stable stable." I call some setups a dirty stability in that it runs stable enough for what you do but if really pushed will fail. I had that problem with my 9900k where it would pass Aida, CB20, CB23, CB15, RealBench, but would eventually crash in light threads or doing nothing at all. I was left with either disabling C states / Speedstep or bumping up my LLC to stop my voltage from drooping too low at any given time. I ended up pushing my LLC up a notch since even feeding it more voltage didn't solve the problem and it was more a drop in low to no load situations versus the highly stressed state.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
That is flat out incorrect and you are using crap ass stress test if so. Prime is outdated. Imma be 100 percent honest with you with how i do not testing. Set my clocks up voltage till it passes cinebench. Bump it a couple notches and run x265 encoding on it. Thats avx 512 load if it passes that it will pass anything. Only prime 95 worth it is the one with avx. You simply arnt stable and need to listen.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,531 Posts
x264, realbench, x265, or compiling firefox/chromium/gcc

Compiling tends to exercise a variety of instructions for lexical analysis, rather than just always SIMD for calculations. Somehow, it still heats up the CPU similarly.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Prime is outdated.
It will put more pressure on your cpu, ram and cooling than any encoding, gaming, whatever will ever do. Outdated he says. lol - Then proceeds to suggesting Cinebench, which is a benchmark, not a stress test.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
While you're finding a stable OC you can hose any random part of the OS or any apps you happened to use while it wasn't stable without realising, once you think you've got it stable, that's the time to put a new OS on there. Once you've put a clean OS and your most used apps back take an image of it so you can restore it more quickly in the future.

Did you look in Event Viewer? It should of logged the crashing and freezing.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It will put more pressure on your cpu, ram and cooling than any encoding, gaming, whatever will ever do. Outdated he says. lol - Then proceeds to suggesting Cinebench, which is a benchmark, not a stress test.
It doesnt use avx only one version of it does. Guess what does use avx 512 x265 video rendering. That will stress your cpu harder than prime non avx. Know why they have avx and avx 512 offset? Cause it hits your cpu harder than anything. Might wanna brush up on your pc knowledge. If your avx 512 stable at a clock you are guaranteed stable for normal usage.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It doesnt use avx only one version of it does. Guess what does use avx 512 x265 video rendering. That will stress your cpu harder than prime non avx. Know why they have avx and avx 512 offset? Cause it hits your cpu harder than anything. Might wanna brush up on your pc knowledge. If your avx 512 stable at a clock you are guaranteed stable for normal usage.
It only runs for 2 minutes. Hardly a stress test. AVX can lick it. You might wanna brush up on your pc skills. Prime is 100% usage until you stop the test. Can't beat that.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,531 Posts
Problem with Prime and IBT and Linx is that they repeatedly use the same small set of instructions, albeit the most intensive ones. I would dare say even encoding does too.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Problem with Prime and IBT and Linx is that they repeatedly use the same small set of instructions, albeit the most intensive ones. I would dare say even encoding does too.
Encoding does too but its a more realistic test than prime.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,531 Posts
Encoding does too but its a more realistic test than prime.
I believe b-frame analysis does use a variety of instructions for first pass, but everything else is straight up SIMD.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Rendering a video has nothing on Prime. It never had. You cant test a system for stability without stressing it, and rendering videos is the last thing anyone would recommend. Why? Prime still slams any system it runs on, including ram and cooling. Outdated ... lol .. Also, stop calling me names. I dont apricate that. If you can't behave properly on a public forum without turning into a little kid, you need to look for other forms of amusement.
Going to have to disagree with you. I've had prime 95 FFT and blend pass 12+ hours but a x.264 encode BSOD in a few hours. Encoding is a great way to test memory sub system stability.

• Rep+
Reactions: o1dschoo1

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
What is your full PC specs?

What is your overclock settings?

In my experience, it is not worth it to overclock the RAM as you can run a stress test for 6 hours and pass it, but it is not truly stable.
You probably want to disable C-states, speedshift, IEST, Race to halt, voltage optimization, enhanced multi-core performance.
Check also the BIOS update change logs as sometimes it has fixes about stability

1 - 20 of 44 Posts