Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i got accepted to a Program ( Computer System Analyst ) and the program requires a laptop.

I will be starting the program in sept , so a couple months ahead from now, but i know NOTHING about laptops. I assume they are almost the same as a desktop.

Now the real question is what is there to look for in a laptop for college?

Budget probs around 700-1000$.

Thanks.

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=710_577

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
So what tasks for school will you be doing with this laptop? Outside of schoolwork, are you looking for gaming performance? What sort of sizes are you considering?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyladouche
View Post

So what tasks for school will you be doing with this laptop? Outside of schoolwork, are you looking for gaming performance? What sort of sizes are you considering?

I have no clue what tasks i will being doing with the laptop, but looking at the courses listed.

EDIT
: Ahhh the program has Mobile computing, for lecture notes, course assignments, and etc within the program.

TERM 1
INFO 16029 Problem Solving/Programming Logic 3
PROG 10082 Object Oriented Programming 1 - Java 6
SYST 13416 Linux/Unix Operating Systems 3
MATH 10001 Mathematics for Computing 3
SCIE 16048 Technology: Apocalypse or Eden? 3

Total: 18

TERM 2
SYST 16529 Introduction to Business Systems Software 3
PROG 24178 Object Oriented Programming 2 - Java 6
TELE 13167 Data Communications - Local Area Networking 3
SYST 28043 Web Technologies 3
ELECTIVE Cross College General Education 3

Total: 18

TERM 3
SYST 28515 Systems Analysis and Design 3
DBAS 27198 Database Design and Implementation 3
PROG 38081 Java and XML Programming 6
TELE 33324 Data Network Design and Configuration - Routers and Switches 3
COMM 16165 Technical Reports and Presentations 3
COWT 10022 Cooperative Education Forum 1
SYST 28296 Linux/Unix Systems Administration

Well gaming performance would be nice, but not needed as i got a desktop at home. For size don't matter too me as long as its manageable.

·
Premium Member
13,411 Posts
Honestly, anything over $400 will suit your needs and make you happy. But, something with the new generation of intel processors would be ideal. They will last you longer.

I like a 17" screen for my college if I use a laptop. It gives you more room to snap windows. It usually can be found in a 1080p 1920x1200 resolution too.

Think about what you might have to do with it afterwards. Also, do you want it to have long battery life? That is the major downfall to picking a bunch of power, however the next generation of processors really uses power saving well.

I want to get that basic info out of the way and get some feedback before posting actual make and model suggestions.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Long battery Life will be required, def. Eh resolution don't really matter to me, since it will be a laptop just for school anyways.

I don't know anything about laptops, so I can't really give you any basic infos. haha -__-

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Ive done a similar set of modules to that in my degree, any laptop will work nothing there is demanding a super high spec, I would say get a large res screen and a big enough HDD to install Linux as a second OS.

·
Premium Member
7,949 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,127 Posts
With that budget go for a HP Envy 15 (for Windows) or Macbook Pro 13 (for Mac) they are both really similar except the HP Envy has better hardware

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You really don't need a whole lot for taking notes and programming. I use an HP 14" with an i5 and 4GB, dual-booted with W7 and Linux. I got it on massive sale for $490 shipped. Works great for everything I need - I'm a computer science/digital forensics major and I graduate next month. Only thing I don't care for is the low screen resolution.

HP Envy would be fine if you really want to spend a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
13,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by turbonerds
View Post

Long battery Life will be required, def. Eh resolution don't really matter to me, since it will be a laptop just for school anyways.

I don't know anything about laptops, so I can't really give you any basic infos. haha -__-

You should place some emphasis on resolution. It is not the quality of the resolution, it is the additional desktop space you will have to snap windows. College is a lot of multiple browser windows. copy/paste, referencing, citations....

I hated my 15" screen at 1600x1200, it was such a drawback versus using my desktops 1920x1200.

·
Premium Member
13,411 Posts
Ok, here is my choice. http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.p...el_name=NP5170

Edit: Also, if you would like to scale it down (literally in quality and price), you could try the lower quality Dell's with a 17" but you will lose 1920x1200 res. You may even be able to finance them with no interest for 12 months. They have a student discount, but check the price with and without because it is more of a marketing gimmic in most cases.

I bought an Alienware M15X for college lol but I sold it 2 weeks ago. Bulky, Heavy, hated the screen resolution, terrible battery life...

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Pretty much almost any laptop in that price range will work fine. You don't need a lot of power to right and compile source code. I would say when looking for one to buy, put emphasis on a bigger screen and longer battery life.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I'm surprised people are so eager to suggest a 17in" laptop for school. From what I've heard from others (I only own a netbook) anything 15.6" or more is a hassle to drag around.

Personally I've been looking for a 13.3" laptop.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfe;13134026
I'm surprised people are so eager to suggest a 17in" laptop for school. From what I've heard from others (I only own a netbook) anything 15.6" or more is a hassle to drag around.

Personally I've been looking for a 13.3" laptop.
All my friends tell me that getting big laptops that you want to actually be portable is a complete drag.

I'm looking for anything 11" or above. Especially since I'm gonna be taking a rig with me as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
in a high resolution laptops the text size will be small...they are good for watching movies & playing games...
you just take a 14" or a 15" laptop
ASUS U41JC-A1 model will give you 8hrs of battery life after a single charge .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts