Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got my new computer today and the screen seemed to be DOA

After a couple of hours i was able to determine with the tech support guy that the motherboards first PCIE 2.0 x16 slot is kaput, looks like someone dropped it in shipping and the weight of the 5970 basically screwed the pins.

NCIX is going to express ship me a replacement and if everything works out i should be getting it at worst start of next week and possibly before this weekend.

I was able to get the computer "working" by putting the card in the second pcie slot but the computer does not recognize the card i think... its kinda weird.

When i first switched the cards pcie slot i could only get the resolution to 1028x764 but after rebooting i managed to get to native resolution of 2560x1600. After installing ATI drivers i am back to 1028x764 and Catalyst and overdrive and both basically telling me i do not have a graphics card atm.

Is it possible that the problem is related to the fact that i am using the card in the second pcie 2.0 x16 slot as opposed to the first one? Or is it that my GPU is dead too

The motherboard is an easy fix but obviously the card is not since it would at best probably take weeks to get a replacement if not months.

What can i do?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by youra6
View Post

How are the internal bridges? Make sure they're fully seated.

Ok, you just lost me, what is it and how do i check?

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Also check the gold contacts, see if anything has been chipped off or damaged

Quote:

The motherboard is an easy fix but obviously the card is not since it would at best probably take weeks to get a replacement if not months.

Where did you get the computer from? From my experience, RMA takes about a week- 2 weeks tops. A couple of months sounds awful

EDIT: Disregard that picture, your graphics card doesnt have a internal bridge, for some reason I thought u had a 4780X2

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by youra6 View Post

Its the Gold colored strip

Also check the gold contacts, see if anything has been chipped off or damaged
pulled out the card to check, from what i can see the gold contacts and the card in general looks fine, i don't see a gold colored strip but i really don't think there is one, i see the crossfire bridge but i don't think thats the problem. The card looks pristine.

the problem really is the first PCIE slot which is trashed, its bent and looking at it with the card removed it is pretty obvious that the pins on the inside are bent all over the place.

My question is really mostly about the second pcie slot, is there any reason why i can't use it like i would the first? Is there something i could do?

Can the card be broken but i can still use the monitor? I mean how likely is it that both the card and the motherboard are trashed?

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
yeah i mistook your card for a dual pcb card:
So you wont have any internal bridges lol

Well was the GPU packaged? Was the card still in the original packaging? There should be enough "stuff" in the package to prevent damage.

As I said, do the gold contacts seemed chipped or damaged?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by youra6 View Post
yeah i mistook your card for a dual pcb card:
So you wont have any internal bridges lol

Well was the GPU packaged? Was the card still in the original packaging? There should be enough "stuff" in the package to prevent damage.

As I said, do the gold contacts seemed chipped or damaged?

The card was installed, the computer was shipped already assembled (40$ and gave me a 1 year warranty, kind of a no brainer had to get it) the damage i am assuming happened when the box was dropped? the inside of the computer was packed so the components would not move but i guess the GPU moved enough to trash the motherboard.

The computer got dropped and from what i can see the card looks ok, two of the gold contacts seem to be shorter then the others on both sides but in both cases it does not look like damage, it looks like they are both meant to be this way.

Edit: ok i have to take the not damaged part back... looks like one of the metal brackets got bent a little, obviously its not something that would affect the card working or not but whatever did that might of wrecked the card also =x

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by youra6
View Post

Ask them if you can just send the mobo and card back if it's quicker

Could u attach some pics of the card/ 2nd PCI-E slot?

I tried taking some pics with my iPhone and they look like ****

can try and look at it if you want to:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

The new motherboard is already on it's way, just got shipping confirmation, so maybe tomorrow... thursday is the worse case scenario.

The problem of course is the 5970, there is no way i am easily replacing that anytime soon

On a side note WOW on NCIX and how they handled the RMA process, free ship both ways, i don't even have express RMA coverage but they still sent the new mobo before they got the old one, really really impressed, was going to give them a B+ grade on the first transaction but if they see this RMA thing all the way through the way they just started it they are going to get an A+.

Going to win themselves a customer for life if they keep this up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts