Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my uncle needs a new computer and we want it to be as cheap as possible but still be a decent and workable computer (none of this weird mini-PS's or weird bars all over the place blocking things off...). Any suggestions?
Nothing over $700... and even thats pushing it...

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I would think that would be easy as long as you don't need a monitor.

150 CPU
100 512MB Ram
100 HD
80 Mobo
50 Case w/PSU
200 GPU

680 Total

Now this wouldn't be an OC rig as you would need to replace the PSU. Guys, that seem about right? Care to put some model numbers on those items?

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need a monitor lol. And the computer is purely... an internet computer lol. No games... nothing fancy... and really... a ceiling of like 600 is more of what im looken at... over 600 feels like too much when i actually see hte number

·
Registered
182 Posts
i build cheap but decent AMD systems for 500 - 550 bucks... enough PC for the average home user.

Case $35 (generic)
Mobo $55 (Asus - MSI)
CPU $95 (XP 2600)
MEM $85 (512 mb Brand name)
HD $70 (80GB)
Mouse/Key/Floppy $20
CDRW $30 (LG - Samsung)
Monitor $110 (17 inch Samsung CRT)

Total = $500 at the local shop

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
well, I just bought a GQ comp. for a friend of mine.. .well, he paid for it, but i bought it for him...

anyways, it was $200 from Fry's. They MIGHT have one like that now..

40 GB HD
comes with a mouse and a keyboard
AMD sempron, i think 2200+
OC'able (to my surprise!)
i think 128 MB MEM, maybe 256.
that's about all that I can remember.

well, consider.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
something on a soc a sempron<boxed>(£40+£20<mobo>) with 512 (£50)ram (for XP<home = £70 oem> this is a must); or 256mb <£22> ram for linux(free) (word processing/net no games this wil b fine), graphs geforce mx440 (~£20)
monitor 17 inch crt(£70 new) case (a good generic is bout £30 with psu) hard disk -120 maxtor or wetern digital (£45) keyb/mouse (£20) speakers if neccessary (@ least £15) dvdrom/cdrw (£25) or dvdrw(£45) /floppy(£5)

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,931 Posts
actually, you should consider a dell deminsion 2400 system. i believe they still are selling some for under $400. Dell has award winning service and support. plus their systems are extremely quiet.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
^^^ WATTTT DELL promotion on this site - but do haffa agree it seems perfect for his needs ,esp its use of slow turnin 92mm fans

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto1024

I need a monitor lol. And the computer is purely... an internet computer lol. No games... nothing fancy... and really... a ceiling of like 600 is more of what im looken at... over 600 feels like too much when i actually see hte number

I can build you a computer for about 350$ plus the cost of s+h
PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto1024

So my uncle needs a new computer and we want it to be as cheap as possible but still be a decent and workable computer (none of this weird mini-PS's or weird bars all over the place blocking things off...). Any suggestions?
Nothing over $700... and even thats pushing it...

easy, sooo easy

17inch crt: 100
1.8-2.2 celeron/p4: 100-125
abit is7 series: 70-100
hd - 40 gig: 50
graphics card:100
ram: 80 (512mb pc 3200)
case: anything for less then 50 - soooooo many choices!

all at newegg.com - guaranteed you can do it for less then 700 with shipping and tax

or, if you are lazy and want warantee - go with dell, they have systems right now for 399 w/ monitor!

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,931 Posts
dude, i just said that, lol jk

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi all ppl are telling you to get these prepaid premade one when it is so easy to build your self there are moded cases going for £19.99 sempron cpu's £42 and sempron boards £9.99 ram £15.99 19" tft mons for £110 cordless keyboards & mouse (optical) with speakers for £20 and that is here in the uk all of which is brand new and can be built so easily and ppl saying dell al insrutions to build come in mobo manual and the rest is easy y not add that spec touch andbuild it to your spec and your way

think how much it will be over there next to nout
neeyedsm

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
hmmm i just got a Fry's Ad today from LA Times.

and guess what? the comp. i introduced is still on sale!!!

so if there's a Fry's Electronics around ur area, get this computer. It's a great deal if ur uncle (or whomever u are buying the computer for) is not a serious computer gamer or anything like that.

Specs:

AMD Sempron XP 2200+
128 MB DDR Memory
40GB HD
52X CD-ROM
Motherboard Integrated Graphics
High speed 10/100 Networking
56 K Modem
USB Ports
Linspire 4.5
*comes with a keyboard, a mouse, and a pair of speakers
*As i mentioned before, this comp. has oc'ing feature.

All for 199.99 (+Tax)

Here's the link:

http://shop1.outpost.com/template/on...ct_navigation/

well, i hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts