Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1155 socket, Asus p6x58d Premium motherboard in my current build. Running with a i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket 1155 cpu.

I also have a ATI 6870 Grpahics card with 6GB ram.

Now unfortunately my motherboard packed in last night
frown.gif
, and i need a new one.

"I do a bit of gaming, and a lot of editing movies and 3D graphics designing. And i do render a lot on my machine."

My budget is up to £300 and i do want something strong and powerful. So which motherboard would you guys recommend???

Now my other question is do i go all out on the motherboard? Or would it be much better to go on something a little cheaper but really good, and then get myself 16gb or ram??? Or should i just get a motherboard on its own, as i do have 6gb already?

PS if you could paste some screenshots of any motherboards or ram you would suggest.

Kind Regards

Gurabija

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
You can't have have a 2600 1155 cpu in a 1336 socket motherboard.

Are you looking for a 1336 socket motherboard or a 1155?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im really sorry i copied the wrong motherboard information. The motherboard is a 1155 socket also. I mean is that cpu that i have any good? i did pay for it about £250.

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurabija View Post

Im really sorry i copied the wrong motherboard information. The motherboard is a 1155 socket also. I mean is that cpu that i have any good? i did pay for it about £250.
The CPU is very good, one of the best 1155 CPUs available.
The Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H has everything you could need and it's less than half of your budget. It's a great overclocking board, supports CFX/SLI and has lots of I/O ports.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for your reply. How does this motherboard compare to the one that i have? Is there much difference in any way?

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Quote:

Thank you very much for your reply. How does this motherboard compare to the one that i have? Is there much difference in any way?
Your old one is a completely different chipset and won't work with the i7 2600K. It's much older and doesn't have any of the newer features the UD3H has.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohh that sounds good. I think that the motherboard you suggested looks great. What about this one: MSI Z77 Mpower. It looks good and the spec seems to be good also.

And why are some 1155 sockets like £250 and some are £180 and have pretty much the same spec??

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Quote:

Ohh that sounds good. I think that the motherboard you suggested looks great. What about this one: MSI Z77 Mpower. It looks good and the spec seems to be good also.

And why are some 1155 sockets like £250 and some are £180 and have pretty much the same spec??
Generally the more expensive a motherboard is, the better the power delivery will be. So better quality MOSFETS, capacitors etc. This allows for better overclocking.. More expensive boards may also have a PLX chip which allows for more PCIe lanes.
That's why the UD3H is so good, it has similar quality power delivery components as some £200+ boards do.
The MPower is good and it looks awesome but the UD3H is better, the MPower doesn't support offset overclocking (AFAIK) which is odd for a board specifically designed for overclocking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be honest with you, the Asus board that i have at the moment has not been overclocked at all. Just the same as when i bought it. But i think that i am going to look in to overclocking the new board.

I think its much better to go for a cheaper board like the one you suggested and then get myself some ram. I think that more then 16gb is not needed. And i also have a 250gb SSD hard drive and it runs extremely fast.

Thank you once again for your help

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM95 View Post

Quote:

Generally the more expensive a motherboard is, the better the power delivery will be. So better quality MOSFETS, capacitors etc. This allows for better overclocking.. More expensive boards may also have a PLX chip which allows for more PCIe lanes.
That's why the UD3H is so good, it has similar quality power delivery components as some £200+ boards do.
The MPower is good and it looks awesome but the UD3H is better, the MPower doesn't support offset overclocking (AFAIK) which is odd for a board specifically designed for overclocking.
Yes yes yes.

In anycase, OP: these "good vrms" actually when put in context, are not worth an extra $50... unless you need XFIRE/SLI, a simple solid solution should work.

For me, 970a-ud3 worked wonders as the budget solution for AM3+ overclocking on my previous 955 and i recommend it everywhere if people are using single card solutions and need a minimal cost mobo that clocks well and is cheap.

If you fit the same category, there are similar equivalents in the Z77 selection. Just a heads up that you might not want to burn money buying features you won't use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts