Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I'm smack dab in the middle of getting parts togeather for my sig rig update. and I'm stuck at the PSU part. After update's my sig rig will look somthing like this:

CPU: right now [email protected] untill BD gets the quirks worked out, then I want an 8 core BD chip with a fat 24/7 OC. if BD is a total fail I'll be looking into a 1090t @4.0
Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-Ud3 revision 1.0(I have already bought this)
Ram: looking at G.Skill 2x4 gig(8 total) kits, 1.5v...might have a minor OC if any at all.
Storage: Crucial M4 64 gig SSD for OS and 2x F3 1 TB drive's short stroked and in RAID0 along with my F4 2 TB drive untill my home server is built.
GPU: for now I plan to use my 1 gig 460 GTX, but I plan to jump to CF 6970's very soon...very soon. they will be OC'd.
cooling: Custom water loop. it will have 3 rad's(1xRS240, 1xRX240, 1x RX120) and both GPU's and the CPU will be under water, the mobo might be water cooled but I dont know at this time. the pump will be one of the two: mpc35x OR 655(both with the PWM hook up.) lastly I plan to use an Aquacomputer (the one without the display.)
Fan's: GEILD wing 12 blue PWM fans. a total of 9 minimum, maby as many as 16 If i go push pull.

I need a PSU that will handle all of that lol. to top it all off I can only use a PSU with a max length of 160mm. I was thinking of using the Corsair TX-850 watt. I know it will handle everything its the bulldozer chip that has me lost. would I be safe with BD and all that other crap hooked up to my sig rig? Thank you guys SOOO much in advance!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing;15300666
ok, I'm smack dab in the middle of getting parts togeather for my sig rig update. and I'm stuck at the PSU part. After update's my sig rig will look somthing like this:

CPU: right now [email protected] untill BD gets the quirks worked out, then I want an 8 core BD chip with a fat 24/7 OC. if BD is a total fail I'll be looking into a 1090t @4.0
Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-Ud3 revision 1.0(I have already bought this)
Ram: looking at G.Skill 2x4 gig(8 total) kits, 1.5v...might have a minor OC if any at all.
Storage: Crucial M4 64 gig SSD for OS and 2x F3 1 TB drive's short stroked and in RAID0 along with my F4 2 TB drive untill my home server is built.
GPU: for now I plan to use my 1 gig 460 GTX, but I plan to jump to CF 6970's very soon...very soon. they will be OC'd.
cooling: Custom water loop. it will have 3 rad's(1xRS240, 1xRX240, 1x RX120) and both GPU's and the CPU will be under water, the mobo might be water cooled but I dont know at this time. the pump will be one of the two: mpc35x OR 655(both with the PWM hook up.) lastly I plan to use an Aquacomputer (the one without the display.)
Fan's: GEILD wing 12 blue PWM fans. a total of 9 minimum, maby as many as 16 If i go push pull.

I need a PSU that will handle all of that lol. to top it all off I can only use a PSU with a max length of 160mm. I was thinking of using the Corsair TX-850 watt. I know it will handle everything its the bulldozer chip that has me lost. would I be safe with BD and all that other crap hooked up to my sig rig? Thank you guys SOOO much in advance!
The TX850 would be fine and safe, yeah. Although, I'm personally hoping that you mean the TX850 "V2" because it's a superior unit.
wink.gif

Anyway, how much money can you spend on the PSU?

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

The TX850 would be fine and safe, yeah. Although, I'm personally hoping that you mean the TX850 "V2" because it's a superior unit.

Anyway, how much money can you spend on the PSU?

I will spend what ever I have to, but would like to keep it as cheap as possible while still getting a rock solid PSU. I know if a PSU fails it can take out what ever its plugged into, so I'll use what ever I have to, but it HAS to be 160mm or shorter, or it will conflict with the RX240 rad in the bottom of the case.

EDIT: yes i did mean to put the TX-850 V2 lol

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing
View Post

nope, just stress testing to make sure oc is stable, lots of gaming though...

Alright the TX850 will be fine. For BD though if you want to overclock the 8150 you're gonna want 1000+w. That alone can pull 425w from the PSU.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing;15300744
I will spend what ever I have to, but would like to keep it as cheap as possible while still getting a rock solid PSU. I know if a PSU fails it can take out what ever its plugged into, so I'll use what ever I have to, but it HAS to be 160mm or shorter, or it will conflict with the RX240 rad in the bottom of the case.

EDIT: yes i did mean to put the TX-850 V2 lol
Even PSUs like the original TX850 are very safe:

http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/928113-message-community-enthusiast-power-supplies.html

However, I think that a quality 850W power supply is a bit overkill, so getting a quality 750W unit can allow you to spend a little less money.

If you're interested in doing that, then here are the 750W PSUs I recommend:

smile.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: KhaoticKomputing

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

View Post

Even PSUs like the original TX850 are very safe:

http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...-supplies.html

However, I think that a quality 850W power supply is a bit overkill, so getting a quality 750W unit can allow you to spend a little less money.

If you're interested in doing that, then here are the 750W PSUs I recommend:

First off, "I love you man!" second off, you think a 750w will handle all that stuff, and give me enough head room for an OC'ed BD chip? they seem power hungry!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
I don't know yet. So either I should wait for those who do, or I can compile a new 850W list...

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

View Post

I don't know yet. So either I should wait for those who do, or I can compile a new 850W list...

You have given me enough info for the time being! Thank you for the offer of an 850 PSU list though, your assistance means alot to me. I guess I'll have to hold off one getting a PSU untill we know more about BD's power consumption, but it looks like it needs alot of juice to keep it going from what I can tell. Thank you so much TwoCables!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
Quote:

View Post

You have given me enough info for the time being! Thank you for the offer of an 850 PSU list though, your assistance means alot to me. I guess I'll have to hold off one getting a PSU untill we know more about BD's power consumption, but it looks like it needs alot of juice to keep it going from what I can tell. Thank you so much TwoCables!

You're welcome!

If this is the case, then I'm going to do something that I don't like seeing other people do: I'm going to recommend an 850W "just in case", or "just to be safe". I prefer to know rather than guess, but I'll make an exception here and create a list of 850W power supplies that I know are safe. I just can't rest until I do this.

There were a couple I skipped because I don't know much about them yet.

Anyway, I can relax now.

• Rep+
Reactions: KhaoticKomputing

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

View Post

You're welcome!

If this is the case, then I'm going to do something that I don't like seeing other people do: I'm going to recommend an 850W "just in case", or "just to be safe". I prefer to know rather than guess, but I'll make an exception here and create a list of 850W power supplies that I know are safe. I just can't rest until I do this.

There were a couple I skipped because I don't know much about them yet.

Anyway, I can relax now.

Words can not express how amazing you are TwoCables! So +rep will have to do! I'm in the middle of staggering my upgrade's and I know I'm ordering new RAM and a new copy of windows7 tomorrow(my current is OEM locked to my sig rig board, the current board and win7 is getting passed to my wife's rig). So I might pick up the PSU tomorrow just for giggles! Thank you so much!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
You're very welcome!

Which edition of Windows 7 are you getting?

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

View Post

You're very welcome!

Which edition of Windows 7 are you getting?

Home Premium 64-bit OEM I was going to get retail....but I just can't spend 180 bucks for it. I wont be changing my mobo for a very long time as the UD3 sitting in my living room will suite me for a long time

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Home Premium 64-bit OEM I was going to get retail....but I just can't spend 180 bucks for it. I wont be changing my mobo for a very long time as the UD3 sitting in my living room will suite me for a long time

Nice! I'm glad to see you're not spending more for Pro or Ultimate.

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmuckley
View Post

woww..how did he put that together so fast? amazing! twocables is da man! (plus..he's helped me b4)

Yes, he rocks! his advice is always amazing! tomorrow night im ordering the TX-850 v2, windows 7 64bit OEM and this RAM. next step will be one of two order's. A 6970 GPU (second will come around x-mas when I can get 2 more moniters) OR my SSD(OS) and second HDD for the RAID 0 set up. how ever before I get the second 6970 I'm going to get my uber epic water loop in this bad boy and do a custom modded side panel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts