Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread about who I should interview for paradoxes in GENERAL, but now my teacher says it's too big of a topic and that I need narrow it down.

The paper is only to be 6-8 pages, I must interview at least one person, it has to be presented to the class and this is for an English course. He let us choose any topic we're interested in but I don't want to pick too much of a unique paradox that people will not be interested in or be able to comprehend.

Any recommendations for a paradox that is quite popular (I have to interview one person about it) and that people will actually enjoy and be able to comprehend?

Small Criteria:
-Has a fair amount of published work and resources
-It would be nice if it's a paradox that I can display visually; like a drawing
-I'm kind of staying away from time travel but if you can convice me to choose that one then give it a try

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
What sort of paradox?

The two that come to my mind first are the grandfather paradox and the hitting a running man with an arrow paradox.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn
View Post

What sort of paradox?

The two that come to my mind first are the grandfather paradox and the hitting a running man with an arrow paradox.

Grandfather paradox is probably one of the most popular, I'd use that as a safety net if I can't find a good one. Arrow Paradox; any motion is impossible? Interesting

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLagALot
View Post

Mobius strip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Möbius_strip

Very nice. The class would have fun just pondering the image of that strip itself. Definitely will consider this one. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AyeYo
View Post

god

lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

"Quantum Observer Paradox"

Here is a simplified (but very entertaining) synopsis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJG6qkeMxA

VERY visual, heavy paradox. I think I need to rewatch that video one more time. But from what I understood the first time is: physical realities only exist in the presence of other physical realities?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I like the tolerance paradox, although it's not as cool as quantum entanglement like in the video. A person or organization cannot push tolerance without rejecting intolerance. If you reject intolerance, then you are intolerant yourself to those who are intolerant. Tolerance is a paradox because the concept of tolerance cannot be truly exist.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLagALot
View Post

I thought you were going to make a crack at 'double slit' but eh

Maybe I can convince my wife that since double penetration occurs on a quantum level, who is she to fight against physics?

·
Car cheaper than computer
3,049 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by computeruler View Post

this

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
this
That's a pretty simple logic paradox..okay maybe not simple but there's not much to build off of that one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts