Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearly every board I buy has wireless built in and it always works superb.

I am in process of choosing parts for a new build and theres more board choices that don't have wireless.

My past experiences with wireless adapters are that they lose signal and are unreliable.

Price/performance is important but reliability is key.

I only really use N but if AC is close in price then that's an option too.

Basically anything over $50 and I might as well just get the high end board with built in wifi.

Any suggestions?

·
A title was here
4,144 Posts
Stop buying ones made out of liquid ?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Intel mini-PCIe NICs from eBay with PCIe adapter.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

I use Asus PCE-N10, it works great for me. If you want faster speeds maybe get PCE-N15 or a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800.
So you don't get any disconnects with that one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascii Aficionado View Post

Stop buying ones made out of liquid ?
I didn't think of that...

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilly007 View Post

So you don't get any disconnects with that one?
Nope, never dropped connection with the N10. If you decide to get a mini-PCIe to PCIE adapter I'd avoid Qualcomm Atheros if you're going to need to buy a card. The Qualcomm card I used on an HP500-164 had terrible pickup and the connection would keep dropping out. The HP500-164's Qualcomm chip was being used at the same distance as my laptop and my N10 card. Seems like Atheros has slipped in quality since being acquired by Qualcomm, they used to be a good alternative to Intel for onboard wireless for laptops. My laptop uses an old Atheros AR928X and picks up signal like a champ.

My only complaint about the N10 is its software if you want to make it an AP for any reason. The software is finicky and may not want to start up or open sometimes so I uninstalled it. I never liked any of Asus software because they're either slow or really buggy. I avoided their software since installing AI Suite once, worst mistake ever and never hit the uninstall button so fast.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well thanks everyone, amidst all this I ended up deciding to get a board that has built in wifi, go figure, thanks though +reps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts