Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a composer and I usually work with orchestral samples. I want to upgrade my pc and I've been reading during these past days but I'm not sure about some parts or if there are any other better options. I hope it is okay to ask this kind of questions here.

This is the build I've been thinking:
https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K2g3t

There are a few things I've been considering about this build.

About the motherboard, I thought about this one because of the cashback promotion of 50€, but I may get one b450 instead, maybe tomahawk.

The CPU Cooler I don't know if I'll need it, but if the one with 3900x is very noisy I've considered this one.

About the memory, I don't know if going for 3600 cl 16 at 188€ is worth for me rather than getting this pair. It would be better but I don't know if the improvement is worth the 44€ difference.

I don't know a lot about the case, but I've read good things about it, so I suppose it wouldn't give me any problems.

I'm also in doubt about the external storage, I bought it because it was a very good deal and I think it's possible to shuck, but that might be too much storage for me and I can return it and use the money improving other parts, but it might be a good idea having at least one external storage for back-up.

If you have any advice or recommendation, it would be very appreciated.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
I look forward to some educated answers. Last time I messed with making music it was just plugging an M-Box into a decent PC :D

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
So I see nothing wrong at all with this build. The only thing I may change is the case. There is a P400A that will get you better airflow, which in turn will allow you to turn your fans down and get it quieter, while keeping your components cooler. You definitely want another cooler (other than the Stock I mean) if Noise is a concern, the one you picked out is perfect.

Everything else in your PC Part Picker list is perfect. The only thing else I would consider is some silent fans, either some Noctua's, Be Quiet Silent Wings, or Corsair ML120/ML140s. People will argue until they are red in the face about which of these is better, but in my experience any of the ones I mentioned will allow you to get a nice and silent build while remaining damn near perfectly quiet, which of course is a plus for a machine that is in the same room as you while you are making music.

I ran a studio here in town for almost 5 years, and still make custom builds for studio clients in town. These days we are doing custom water cooling builds, but to be honest you can achieve the same level of cooling (almost) with air cooling, and as long as you tune your fans, you will be able to get your build silent. If you have any more specific questions, dont be afraid to ask, but I see nothing at all wrong with your picks, they will work perfectly.

BTW, what will be your DAE Interface?

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
I look forward to some educated answers. Last time I messed with making music it was just plugging an M-Box into a decent PC :D
LOL! Thats exactly how I started in this Industry in 2003. Got me an MBox, the original, and an AMD Athlon PC, and was off to the races. Oh how times have changed since then...

·
Banned
543 Posts
Hi, I'm a composer and I usually work with orchestral samples. I want to upgrade my pc and I've been reading during these past days but I'm not sure about some parts or if there are any other better options. I hope it is okay to ask this kind of questions here.

This is the build I've been thinking:
https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K2g3t

There are a few things I've been considering about this build.

About the motherboard, I thought about this one because of the cashback promotion of 50€, but I may get one b450 instead, maybe tomahawk.

The CPU Cooler I don't know if I'll need it, but if the one with 3900x is very noisy I've considered this one.

About the memory, I don't know if going for 3600 cl 16 at 188€ is worth for me rather than getting this pair. It would be better but I don't know if the improvement is worth the 44€ difference.

I don't know a lot about the case, but I've read good things about it, so I suppose it wouldn't give me any problems.

I'm also in doubt about the external storage, I bought it because it was a very good deal and I think it's possible to shuck, but that might be too much storage for me and I can return it and use the money improving other parts, but it might be a good idea having at least one external storage for back-up.

If you have any advice or recommendation, it would be very appreciated.

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH wait a minute tiger. DO NOT GET AMD if your going to run a DAW. It is known fact Ryzen latency with music production sux ballz. Ive known this forever. AMD cant handle VSTs and VSTi's and work at low latency doing so. You want a DAW Grab 64GB RAM and a Intel 9900k at minimum. I don't know how large your projects are but Im telling you now I have read in many places over the years how AMD sux at DAW. It is still that way with the release of Ryzen 3xxx series. A site talking about this specifically said if your gonna use a DAW get the 10980XE 64GB RAM and a nice audio interface external preferred or internal would work. Also grab a 500GB SSD as your project drive if your freezing synths and what not. Ovoid AMD at all costs my friend. Ive been producing music since 1997 so I know what Im talking about and Im not dissing AMD in any way. Simply put if your running a DAW like I said get Intel. End of story.

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH wait a minute tiger. DO NOT GET AMD if your going to run a DAW. It is known fact Ryzen latency with music production sux ballz. Ive known this forever. AMD cant handle VSTs and VSTi's and work at low latency doing so. You want a DAW Grab 64GB RAM and a Intel 9900k at minimum. I don't know how large your projects are but Im telling you now I have read in many places over the years how AMD sux at DAW. It is still that way with the release of Ryzen 3xxx series. A site talking about this specifically said if your gonna use a DAW get the 10980XE 64GB RAM and a nice audio interface external preferred or internal would work. Also grab a 500GB SSD as your project drive if your freezing synths and what not. Ovoid AMD at all costs my friend. Ive been producing music since 1997 so I know what Im talking about and Im not dissing AMD in any way. Simply put if your running a DAW like I said get Intel. End of story.
LOL. This is more superstition.

For a Straight DAW Rig, where this is your top concern, and you just want it to work out of the box with no tweaking, the intel platform is set up well for this, just because they have been working with companies like AVID Since the early 2000's on perfecting their software on there platform.

That said, I just deployed 4 separate 3900x Bases systems in studios around town since the 3000 Series launch. These are mainly for Pro Tools Rigs, and they vastly outperformed the outgoing Intel 8700k systems they are replacing. The days of messed up latency based issues are long over. There were some teething with certain plugins, but they have all been worked out, just make sure to install the newest versions and you will be fine. That said, ESPECIALLY if you plan on Pirating audio plugins, you will have an easier time on Intel, but it is not quite as diar as some would want you to believe. Either Platform you choose will go nicely.

What are your main DAW Programs you plan on using?

• Rep+
Reactions: AllenG

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
LOL! Thats exactly how I started in this Industry in 2003. Got me an MBox, the original, and an AMD Athlon PC, and was off to the races. Oh how times have changed since then...
yep, it was quite easy for us to procure, being 2 miles from SweetWater (Indiana)

same era as well. High School band days. bwahaha, we got MAAD, NAND, DARE, and a few others to pay us for playing weekend school events n stuff. good times.

also folks, things like known facts are typically followed up with links, not more paragraphs of ramblings :D

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
A site talking about this specifically said if your gonna use a DAW get the 10980XE 64GB RAM and a nice audio interface external preferred or internal would work.
[citation needed]

Would be interested myself. I tinker around with Sonar, but I'm not even a talented amateur, let alone seasoned pro.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
The short answer is, you don't need anything special for audio on PC. If you need some specific audio ports you will probably want to get a sound card, but for simply making audio files with some kind of audio program will work fine on just about any PC. Audio tasks are really simple for a PC.

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
yep, it was quite easy for us to procure, being 2 miles from SweetWater (Indiana)

same era as well. High School band days. bwahaha, we got MAAD, NAND, DARE, and a few others to pay us for playing weekend school events n stuff. good times.

also folks, things like known facts are typically followed up with links, not more paragraphs of ramblings :D
[citation needed]

Would be interested myself. I tinker around with Sonar, but I'm not even a talented amateur, let alone seasoned pro.
Yeah this used to be a MUCH bigger deal then it is these days. I ran a pretty decently sized studio here in town for years. My Main Editing Rig used a AMD Phenom 2 6-Core, and I did indeed used to have issues, all of which I got around, and the truth was my Mac Rigs running Intel had just as many issues, they just tended to be different.

I just ran an entire session at one of the Studios I just upgraded to the 3900x Rig, had a 52 Track Session, using Plugins Galore and it just screamed through it. We ended up needing almost all 128GB of Ram in the System, but it handled it quite well. So these days are long behind us. When the 3000 Series first dropped there were rumbling of issues, and My very first 3900x upgrade did have them, but they ended up being Windows Based, once Windows Pushed an Update a few months back it solved all of our issues. So there are people who have problems who would blame them on AMD, and in some cases it might end up being AMDs fault, simply because they haven't put the same amount of resources into fixing code of these DAW programs to work with their architecture as intel as, but I have never came up across one that wasn't solvable with a little time.

Again, if that time is just something you don't have, and you need a new Rig up and running for a session in a day or 2, then Intel right now might be the better option, but if you have a session or 2 to work out the kinks (which to be honest you may need with an Intel Build anyway depending on your other hardware choices) then AMD is a valid option, and short of some new issue that arises that I am not yet aware of, where there is actual proof of a deal breaking issue, I wouldn't let overblown comments scare you.

·
Gamer
547 Posts
One thing to consider is what audio interface you plan to use. My wife plays cello & does recording as a hobby. We bought the Universal Audio Arrow, which requires a thunderbolt port. I already had an i5-6600K that I was donating to the cause, so those 2 factors combined with availability at the time chose the motherboard for us. My wife still only does the most basic editing, so I don't know how demanding more serious editing work can get, but she's able to run the system fanless without issue, which works out well for noise concerns. Here's the full build if you'd like to see for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qm8Nq4

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
The short answer is, you don't need anything special for audio on PC. If you need some specific audio ports you will probably want to get a sound card, but for simply making audio files with some kind of audio program will work fine on just about any PC. Audio tasks are really simple for a PC.
Yup. I second that. If you know your Editing Program has special input output needs, then just make sure the platform you are choosing has enough PCIE Lanes to accomidate. In some cases the Intel or AMD HEDT Platform may be a better option for plugging in multiple PCIE Cards, but other than that, any Current Platform you build will run the tasks quite nicely. Anyone else that says differently should post proof of issues. I currently am running a 3950x Build in my Home Lab, where I do all of my mixing on pro tools these days (which admittidly is NO WHERE NEAR the amount of mixing as I used to do, but I literally just finished up a mix on my New Rig on December 30th, and it handled it perfectly, before then was a session on a 3900x I custom built for a local studio, and that went well, and before that were small projects I did on my 3900x Rig here at my house, and that also went well (Outside of Protools crashing Constantly, but I solved that by reinstalling Protools, ended up being an issue with a specific build of the software in the end, so again just use new versions that have released since the release of Ryzen 3000, and if you choose AMD you will be fine. The only place I would caution you is if you are using a specific Software or Plugin that has known issues with Ryzen 3000 that have yet to be solved. As of right now I am not aware of one, but still just search the plugins you rely on and Ryzen 3000 in google just to be sure.)

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
One thing to consider is what audio interface you plan to use. My wife plays cello & does recording as a hobby. We bought the Universal Audio Arrow, which requires a thunderbolt port. I already had an i5-6600K that I was donating to the cause, so those 2 factors combined with availability at the time chose the motherboard for us. My wife still only does the most basic editing, so I don't know how demanding more serious editing work can get, but she's able to run the system fanless without issue, which works out well for noise concerns. Here's the full build if you'd like to see for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qm8Nq4
Definitely a helpful post here, this is 100 percent something to look out for, You can get Thunderbolt on AMD, but only on certain ASRock boards, so just check compatibility for the interface you plan on using. I am curious as to what interface you are planning to use...

LOL. Commander Data (Turtle Rig) at it again. Good read below.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/1737668-intel-way-go-if-your-into-music-production.html

Oreonutz knows what he's talking about and doing, he will be of the most help.
Appreciate you man!

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
LOL. Commander Data (Turtle Rig) at it again. Good read below.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/1737668-intel-way-go-if-your-into-music-production.html

Oreonutz knows what he's talking about and doing, he will be of the most help.
didn't you hear? audio work stations weren't even possible until intel released their latest big boy enthusiast chip!

suffice to say, if you're gonna spend that kinda money, it doesn't need to be on the tower, but what plugs into the tower -.-

OP - unless the money doesn't matter, take nothing said here on face value aside from the fact you don't need $1,000 CPUs to do the job.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
Yup. I second that. If you know your Editing Program has special input output needs, then just make sure the platform you are choosing has enough PCIE Lanes to accomidate. In some cases the Intel or AMD HEDT Platform may be a better option for plugging in multiple PCIE Cards, but other than that, any Current Platform you build will run the tasks quite nicely.
Sound cards usually only use the 1X PCI slot. Any PC is going to have more than enough PCI lanes for a sounds card. No need worry about this at all.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sound cards usually only use the 1X PCI slot. Any PC is going to have more than enough PCI lanes for a sounds card. No need worry about this at all.
sometimes to get the amount of channels you need, you have to stack interfaces... comes down to how many slots are available. with the new-age pci-e splits, you can stack more cards on an hedt platform using breakouts. Most normal users are going to be using usb devices anyways, running into problems when they want it to run on the same root hub as their logitech gaming controller. LOL

This is why real equipment exists for real production though.

• Rep+
Reactions: oreonutz

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
sometimes to get the amount of channels you need, you have to stack interfaces... comes down to how many slots are available. with the new-age pci-e splits, you can stack more cards on an hedt platform using breakouts. Most normal users are going to be using usb devices anyways, running into problems when they want it to run on the same root hub as their logitech gaming controller. LOL

This is why real equipment exists for real production though.
This is clearly well above the scope of the OP. If anything you are just confusing the issue.

OP, dont worry about PCI lanes, it's not an issue.

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
Yeah, thats for Sound Cards. I am talking about DAE Interface cards. Depending on the Card that can go up to x16. It depends on the Card and the Interface, thats why I said just to check. For most Uses though, the Mainstream platforms will work nicely.

·
Registered
585 Posts
UltraMega, OP still hasn't said what interface(s) they have chosen. May be relevant, may not. Just as your saying to not worry about it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts