Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
This is clearly well above the scope of the OP. If anything you are just confusing the issue.

OP, dont worry about PCI lanes, it's not an issue.
Wait... I am confused. We are talking about a DAW are we not? This is why back in my first comment I asked for his Interface. If the Equipment that he plans to use needs a x16 Lane or 2, then how many lanes are definitely within the scope of this.

That said, most likely it won't be an issue, again this is why I said to be mindful of the hardware you are using. We don't know the OP's expertise, or equipment, but if it turns out he plans on using a couple UAD-2's or other Interfaces that require Multiple PCIE Lanes, it is a valid example. The Major point being, make sure you know what equipment you are using, and the requirements they have, in some High End cases, that does mean needing enough PCIE Lanes.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,772 Posts
sometimes to get the amount of channels you need, you have to stack interfaces... comes down to how many slots are available. with the new-age pci-e splits, you can stack more cards on an hedt platform using breakouts. Most normal users are going to be using usb devices anyways, running into problems when they want it to run on the same root hub as their logitech gaming controller. LOL

This is why real equipment exists for real production though.
not to derail but something you said sparked my interest.... I wonder if this is why I'm having issues communicating with my shield in fastboot.

thanks for the idea. PS2 KB+M & only the shield connected via USB. nothing else.

brb.

·
Registered
585 Posts
At this point, it could just be for making sick beatz... no interfaces at all.

Not quite the same as an audio production rig, but alot of people like to overglorify the new school making midi equivalents and dumping out some wav (now mp3) files as audio production setups.

When i think audio production rig, i think recording a whole band, or working movie sound tracks. Not a weekend flyer playing with MixMan. LOL Sorry.

• Rep+
Reactions: oreonutz

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
UltraMega, OP still hasn't said what interface(s) they have chosen. May be relevant, may not. Just as your saying to not worry about it.
Yup, exactly. It all depends, still waiting to hear what interface he is using, and to see how familiar he is with all of his equipment. We don't know what will be relavent yet. We do know that in most cases it does not matter the platform you choose, you just need to make sure you know the requirements of your Audio Gear going into it, so that you build around that. If you are just using a simple USB Audio Interface, PCIE Lanes is not at all a concern, even if you plan on using a Sound Card (Of which for pro audio there are plenty of x4 Cards by the way, but thats besides the point), pretty much in this scenario, just pick a platform, connect everything up and dive in, have fun, and make some killer music!

Still can't wait to hear the DAW Software and Audio Interface you Plan on using.

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
At this point, it could just be for making sick beatz... no interfaces at all.

Not quite the same as an audio production rig, but alot of people like to overglorify the new school making midi equivalents and dumping out some wav (now mp3) files as audio production setups.

When i think audio production rig, i think recording a whole band, or working movie sound tracks. Not a weekend flyer playing with MixMan. LOL Sorry.
You just made some excellent points in this post and your last few. +Rep

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,772 Posts
if its just "sick beatz" then all they'll need is a $300 laptop.

·
Registered
585 Posts
this... and to unplug their phone and pink bunny buzzer charger from the ports, while using their $60 USB interface. No reason for that stuff, cant talk while your recording, and cant play with yourself either. Well, unless your a singer/frontman. ;)

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
this... and to unplug their phone and pink bunny buzzer charger from the ports, while using their $60 USB interface. No reason for that stuff, cant talk while your recording, and cant play with yourself either. Well, unless your a singer/frontman. ;)
HAHAHA!

As long as that $300 Laptop has an SSD in it. If it doesn't, just stop now...

God, I remember the days of Running Sessions before SSDs. Looking back, I don't remember how the hell we all put up with it.

I remember, I was reading an article about SSD's and how expensive they were when they first started to hit the mainstream. I remember it was something like $400 for a 32GB SSD. Something Ridiculous like that. And I remember thinking, I can't even fit Windows XP x64 Bit, Pro Tools, and my plugins on that. No way I am wasting money on some new BS Drive Tech. Then One of my clients came by my studio, this was when I was still running my studio in a hole in the wall building suite (Man I miss those days). And He made all his Beats on his Laptop, and it had an SSD in it, and he wanted me to track it out and import it all into a session, so I could Mix it for him before an upcoming session with the Singer. So he handed the Laptop to me, and while working in it it was such a dream. Everything loaded instantly, and was so fast, and I remember asking him "what kind of processor does this thing have in it?" And he tells me, "oh you like how snappy it is huh?" And I was like, "Yeah". And he was like, "oh well thats just a crappy Dual Core Celeron based laptop, but it has an SSD In it, its the SSD you feel."

I was blown away! Literally while I was exporting the Tracks from Reason, I pulled up Newegg on my PC, found an Intel, I forget the Model Number now, but it was a 64GB SSD, and it was on sale for something like $450 or something, and I remember him telling me how that was such a good deal compared to the one he had gotten for his laptop. I bought 2 and Ran them in RAID 0 so I would have enough to run my OS, Protools, all Plugins and still have room left over. And my Studio was never the same since. We went from waiting for every little thing, to being able to Zip through Projects. Then I remember a few years later when I was able to afford my first All SSD RAID 5 Array, and use them for Client Sessions. I remember when I lost my first Array too, that sucked, but because I always practice Safe Backups, it was just a few hours of nausea while I rebuilt the array and transferred all the files from backup back to the new array.

Oh man, those were good times. But these days things are much more streamlined. Instead of waiting hours for restoring backups for instance, its literally Minutes. Oh how the times have changed...

• Rep+
Reactions: Veii

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Yeah this used to be a MUCH bigger deal then it is these days. I ran a pretty decently sized studio here in town for years. My Main Editing Rig used a AMD Phenom 2 6-Core, and I did indeed used to have issues, all of which I got around, and the truth was my Mac Rigs running Intel had just as many issues, they just tended to be different.

Again, if that time is just something you don't have, and you need a new Rig up and running for a session in a day or 2, then Intel right now might be the better option, but if you have a session or 2 to work out the kinks (which to be honest you may need with an Intel Build anyway depending on your other hardware choices) then AMD is a valid option, and short of some new issue that arises that I am not yet aware of, where there is actual proof of a deal breaking issue, I wouldn't let overblown comments scare you.
Thanks for the insights, mate. Your further posts also.

LOL. Commander Data (Turtle Rig) at it again. Good read below.
didn't you hear? audio work stations weren't even possible until intel released their latest big boy enthusiast chip!
Ah, I thought I remembered that handle and avatar... much debate about X570/3950X vs. 10980XE in dozens of threads, right?

So yeah, definitely need citations.

• Rep+
Reactions: oreonutz

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,772 Posts
yeah pretty sure $300-$500 range books include M.2s or sata SSD mostly these days. unless you want "high cap" then you get a 1tb mini black equiv.

my meeting book is an HP360, it came with a 256 m.2, n I believe it was ~$500 but its a transformer.

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
not to derail but something you said sparked my interest.... I wonder if this is why I'm having issues communicating with my shield in fastboot.

thanks for the idea. PS2 KB+M & only the shield connected via USB. nothing else.

brb.
So, to derail for a minute, lol...

I am curious. Which Shield do you have? And what are you trying to flash to it? I just got a new 2019 Shield Pro, and realized that it doesn't have the full Play store on it, and their locked down version of the Play Store won't let me put my Milestone XProtect Mobile App On it. I wanted it to be able to quickly switch to it to check the camera at my front door, on my TV. Most the house have Tablets mounted to the Wall with the Camera Feed up on it 24/7, but the one Particular Room that I bought the shield for does not. This is the Media Room that has just One TV, its for watching Movies and for VR Gaming, so I just have the One Big Screen TV, with the NVidia Shield, and the SFF Gaming Rig connected to it, and most the time I am on the Shield kicking back watching TV, then the door bell rings, and I want to quickly switch over to the Camera to see if its even someone I care to answer the door for, and I don't want to fuss with getting out my phone to check, would be easier to just hit the button that I am dedicating to open the corresponding app.

So Anyways, after that long winded explanation of what I am trying to do, lol. I looked into it, and saw that I could flash a rooted version of NVidia's Firmware, and then flash full on Android Pie, and then from there I can put any Android App I want. But I haven't yet researched any further to see if this is possible on the Newest Shield. And then you made your comment, so I was just wondering, what you needed to fast boot your Shield for, and which Shield is it?

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,772 Posts
i have a 2017 500gb pro, for now, i'm just trying to talk to it after coming back up from unlock, in fast boot, so i can have proper access to my kevari android device;) pretty sure 2017 is still one of the best not-pi-stack solutions for home brew type stuff.

not sure about the 2019, i was under the impression it hadn't been done yet/mainstream steps haven't been put up yet @ Nvidia Shield Zone.

·
Registered
585 Posts
HAHAHA!

As long as that $300 Laptop has an SSD in it. If it doesn't, just stop now...

God, I remember the days of Running Sessions before SSDs. Looking back, I don't remember how the hell we all put up with it.

I remember, I was reading an article about SSD's and how expensive they were when they first started to hit the mainstream. I remember it was something like $400 for a 32GB SSD. Something Ridiculous like that. And I remember thinking, I can't even fit Windows XP x64 Bit, Pro Tools, and my plugins on that. No way I am wasting money on some new BS Drive Tech. Then One of my clients came by my studio, this was when I was still running my studio in a hole in the wall building suite (Man I miss those days). And He made all his Beats on his Laptop, and it had an SSD in it, and he wanted me to track it out and import it all into a session, so I could Mix it for him before an upcoming session with the Singer. So he handed the Laptop to me, and while working in it it was such a dream. Everything loaded instantly, and was so fast, and I remember asking him "what kind of processor does this thing have in it?" And he tells me, "oh you like how snappy it is huh?" And I was like, "Yeah". And he was like, "oh well thats just a crappy Dual Core Celeron based laptop, but it has an SSD In it, its the SSD you feel."

I was blown away! Literally while I was exporting the Tracks from Reason, I pulled up Newegg on my PC, found an Intel, I forget the Model Number now, but it was a 64GB SSD, and it was on sale for something like $450 or something, and I remember him telling me how that was such a good deal compared to the one he had gotten for his laptop. I bought 2 and Ran them in RAID 0 so I would have enough to run my OS, Protools, all Plugins and still have room left over. And my Studio was never the same since. We went from waiting for every little thing, to being able to Zip through Projects. Then I remember a few years later when I was able to afford my first All SSD RAID 5 Array, and use them for Client Sessions. I remember when I lost my first Array too, that sucked, but because I always practice Safe Backups, it was just a few hours of nausea while I rebuilt the array and transferred all the files from backup back to the new array.

Oh man, those were good times. But these days things are much more streamlined. Instead of waiting hours for restoring backups for instance, its literally Minutes. Oh how the times have changed...
LOL. Oh the things i've seen, and the reasons i've heard. People are funny. Can't really make this stuff up.

For real, mass tracking before ssd's was a major PITA. Sooooo many harddrives, spread uncomfortably thin in the first place to get the initial project in, and the HOURS and HOURS of backing up to other spinning media, spread only half as uncomfortably thin. God forbid you gotta pull back from a main array failure... gonna be down for atleast a day. Once SSD came it was one device and done pretty much, even if it is SATA just because it can handle multiple streams of data real time vs spinning platters with minute amounts of cache. Game changer for anything constant streaming bitrate such as audio and video feeds. NVME just brings it to a whole other level. Moving around massive projects for backup and whatnot is so simple and fast now and days. Especially considering todays HDD's are capable of sustaining speeds in the 200mb/s range on their own, they are basically the equivalent of a raid 0 of two good older drives, in some cases 3 if the drive was as poor as to be under 100mb/s. Some of these new drives perform better than early gen SSD's with poor algorithms and small caches!

yeah pretty sure $300-$500 range books include M.2s or sata SSD mostly these days. unless you want "high cap" then you get a 1tb mini black equiv.

my meeting book is an HP360, it came with a 256 m.2, n I believe it was ~$500 but its a transformer.
Always nice to have an SSD of course.

Bringing back to what we touched on above, even a standard HDD of today's standards is actually more than adequate for use on small (basically your average weekend warrior MixMan) projects. Even bigger ones if you break your project apart and use the proper work flow, being serious about your project.

But still, of course make sure to have a usb storage device attached and being written back to while using a usb interface. FTW

·
Banned
543 Posts
The short answer is, you don't need anything special for audio on PC. If you need some specific audio ports you will probably want to get a sound card, but for simply making audio files with some kind of audio program will work fine on just about any PC. Audio tasks are really simple for a PC.

I would go with whats trusted which is Intel. I did enough research to know latency and how VST and VSTi synths and even if you have a powerhouse machine,, DAW just doesn't like AMD much, but I can admit that is changing on 3xxx. Never did I say it wont work with AMD note that.

·
CS+EE Alumnus
10,321 Posts
Build looks very good for the most part. The only thing I would swap out is the SATA and NVMe SSDs for two of the Phison E12 + Toshiba BiCS TLC clones (list here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/355-ssd/1727548-what-good-value-ssds-2019-1tb-phison-e12-toshiba.html).

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13512/the-crucial-p1-1tb-ssd-review/2
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13955/the-silicon-power-p34a80-ssd-review-phison-e12-with-newer-firmware/3

The Corsair MP510 and Silicon Power P34A80 are two of the clones and are in those benchmarks for comparison. The Sabrent Rocket 1TB seems to be the cheapest of the clones right now at 120 euros.

https://es.pcpartpicker.com/product/N7zkcf/sabrent-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-sb-rocket-1tb

Given the PCIe lane topology for Ryzen 3000 and x570, the GPU (16 lanes) and one M.2 SSD (4 lanes) are connected directly to the CPU while the X570 chipset is connected via a PCIe 4.0 x4 link (effectively the same bandwidth as a PCIe 3.0 x8 link, give or take) so all of your devices should be able to hit full speed. The 2nd SSD might drop a little in speed if you're under heavy USB or SATA load or if you add other PCIe devices through the chipset but otherwise it's full performance on both drives with a slightly latency hit on the one that goes through the X570 chipset.

The Micron Rev.E RAM I assume you chose because you'll just be running it at 3600-3800MHz using the timings from the Ryzen DRAM calculator so no comment there as it's a solid choice.

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
i have a 2017 500gb pro, for now, i'm just trying to talk to it after coming back up from unlock, in fast boot, so i can have proper access to my kevari android device;) pretty sure 2017 is still one of the best not-pi-stack solutions for home brew type stuff.

not sure about the 2019, i was under the impression it hadn't been done yet/mainstream steps haven't been put up yet @ Nvidia Shield Zone.
Well thats disappointing to hear. I haven't looked into it yet, Only briefly looked into what the process would be, but haven't dug further into how it can be done with the newer model yet. Hopefully by the time I am ready to start tinkering, there will be a solution available.

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
I would go with whats trusted which is Intel. I did enough research to know latency and how VST and VSTi synths and even if you have a powerhouse machine,, DAW just doesn't like AMD much, but I can admit that is changing on 3xxx. Never did I say it wont work with AMD note that.
No you just came in and said something like... Wait hold on let me get this quote right...
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH wait a minute tiger. DO NOT GET AMD if your going to run a DAW. It is known fact Ryzen latency with music production sux ballz. Ive known this forever. AMD cant handle VSTs and VSTi's and work at low latency doing so. You want a DAW Grab 64GB RAM and a Intel 9900k at minimum. I don't know how large your projects are but Im telling you now I have read in many places over the years how AMD sux at DAW. It is still that way with the release of Ryzen 3xxx series. A site talking about this specifically said if your gonna use a DAW get the 10980XE 64GB RAM and a nice audio interface external preferred or internal would work. Also grab a 500GB SSD as your project drive if your freezing synths and what not. Ovoid AMD at all costs my friend. Ive been producing music since 1997 so I know what Im talking about and Im not dissing AMD in any way. Simply put if your running a DAW like I said get Intel. End of story.
Yeah, thats a little much. And to boot you haven't even tried it, SMH... So basically you read one or 2 peoples early experience on the platform, and instead of saying, well let me see if this is true or not, you up and cancel your order, which is fine that is legit its your money, but then you go around on forums and scream how AMD isn't good for DAW Work, when you haven't even experienced it.

Yes, Intel has poured a crap ton more money into R&D For DAE Workstations, so yes the experience is smooth on their platform, I don't think anyone can deny that. But it just so happens that the experience in some cases depending on the program is actually better on AMD these days, and its only getting better. Your Gripe about DPC Latency, used to be a HUGE deal back in 2008-2012, for certain VSTi Plugins it could be a grind trying to get it to work properly when stacking more then 4 Plugins at once. But there were ways around the issues even back then. Now, its not even on the same level. The Latency is not at all the problem it used to be. In some cases if you are used to working on an Intel machine, how you set your session up can be different on AMD, but as long as you know what you are doing, the experience of Mixing, Editing, and Recording on AMD is exactly the same, and in some cases even better because of the Processing power available to you. You won't get up to the "better" part until you are talking about 60 Plus Tracks full of Plugins where the Intel Machine will finally start to hiccup, so really for most 24 to 48 Track sessions, either platform is fine. But coming in screaming at the top of your lungs about how AMD is crap for a DAW is completely outdated information. There are specific programs where the experience MIGHT be better on Intel for the time being, but that list is dwindling, and either way its not down to Latency any more. So someone just needed to counter balance your overblown report. Of course if you know something I do not, that might be the case, I would just love to see a link to your sources so I can recreate the use case to test myself. I have 5 High Profile Studios, 4 Of Which are here in Vegas, and 1 in Utah, that are all clients that I provide the Networking/Server Infrastucture and Custom Workstation Builds for, and if their is a Use Case in which AMD is not up to the Task I definitely want to know about it and test it, so I know when and when not to deploy a Ryzen/ThreadRipper based system, but as of yet I have yet to come into a situation where a Studio can not count on their Intel or AMD Based Rig 100% of the time for their session.

Build looks very good for the most part. The only thing I would swap out is the SATA and NVMe SSDs for two of the Phison E12 + Toshiba BiCS TLC clones (list here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/355-ssd/1727548-what-good-value-ssds-2019-1tb-phison-e12-toshiba.html).

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13512/the-crucial-p1-1tb-ssd-review/2
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13955/the-silicon-power-p34a80-ssd-review-phison-e12-with-newer-firmware/3

The Corsair MP510 and Silicon Power P34A80 are two of the clones and are in those benchmarks for comparison. The Sabrent Rocket 1TB seems to be the cheapest of the clones right now at 120 euros.

https://es.pcpartpicker.com/product/N7zkcf/sabrent-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-sb-rocket-1tb

Given the PCIe lane topology for Ryzen 3000 and x570, the GPU (16 lanes) and one M.2 SSD (4 lanes) are connected directly to the CPU while the X570 chipset is connected via a PCIe 4.0 x4 link (effectively the same bandwidth as a PCIe 3.0 x8 link, give or take) so all of your devices should be able to hit full speed. The 2nd SSD might drop a little in speed if you're under heavy USB or SATA load or if you add other PCIe devices through the chipset but otherwise it's full performance on both drives with a slightly latency hit on the one that goes through the X570 chipset.

The Micron Rev.E RAM I assume you chose because you'll just be running it at 3600-3800MHz using the timings from the Ryzen DRAM calculator so no comment there as it's a solid choice.

This is definitely something to consider. To be honest the OP's choices will work perfectly fine for any situation he will find himself in on his DAW, whether for huge 64+ Track sessions, or small 24 Track Sessions, there is absolutely nothing wrong with his Storage Picks that would be a game changer. That said, he will get a bit more Throughput if he decides to go with your recommendation. The Real World Benefits will be extremely hard to notice, but if benchmarked the advantage will clearly go to the Phison E12 Based NVME's. If recording directly to the NVMe's and then Dumping to an NVMe Backup, that would be about the one Use case right now where you will actually be able to tell a difference, but outside of that the experience will largely be the same. Regardless if you have the budget for it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going with the faster solution, and on top of that, there may be a future use case where the benefits may become more apparent.

·
CS+EE Alumnus
10,321 Posts
This is definitely something to consider. To be honest the OP's choices will work perfectly fine for any situation he will find himself in on his DAW, whether for huge 64+ Track sessions, or small 24 Track Sessions, there is absolutely nothing wrong with his Storage Picks that would be a game changer. That said, he will get a bit more Throughput if he decides to go with your recommendation. The Real World Benefits will be extremely hard to notice, but if benchmarked the advantage will clearly go to the Phison E12 Based NVME's. If recording directly to the NVMe's and then Dumping to an NVMe Backup, that would be about the one Use case right now where you will actually be able to tell a difference, but outside of that the experience will largely be the same. Regardless if you have the budget for it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going with the faster solution, and on top of that, there may be a future use case where the benefits may become more apparent.
It's moreso for the write endurance. I don't do audio work so I don't know if the disk requirements are as harsh as video editing but if it is, going with the Phison E12 + Toshiba BiCS TLC drives will give a pretty noticeable performance boost over any QLC or SATA drive. It isn't really much more expensive either.

Alternatively just get the 2TB version of a Phison E12 + Toshiba BiCS drive so you can skip the headache that's multidrive management. You'll get better drive endurance as well compared to two separate 1TB drives.

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
It's moreso for the write endurance. I don't do audio work so I don't know if the disk requirements are as harsh as video editing but if it is, going with the Phison E12 + Toshiba BiCS TLC drives will give a pretty noticeable performance boost over any QLC or SATA drive. It isn't really much more expensive either.

Alternatively just get the 2TB version of a Phison E12 + Toshiba BiCS drive so you can skip the headache that's multidrive management. You'll get better drive endurance as well compared to two separate 1TB drives.
The Read Write Requirements are much the same as Video, Just with Video you can take the Workload and Times it by about 6, because you are dumping a lot more Data to the Drive at the same time. Other than that, its about the same.

And I would 100% Agree with that. The Endurance is much better, and that is a completely Valid Point. And Because of the prices dropping it probably does make more sense to just grab the better drive. I definitely would not throw in a QLC Drive for my main drive that I was writing too. I find decent Sata Drives, like a 960/970 Pro - EDIT: I Just caught this, I meant to say a Decent Sata Drive like an 850/860 Pro END EDIT - actually work great for Tracking to and editing from, and have great write Endurance, and although the Total Bandwidth is much lower, the Endurance is awesome, and the Bandwidth is plenty fast for Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Sessions. But QLC Nand, I have had issues with and tend to stay clear for Scratch disks or Production disks. They are decent for other storage applications, but yeah I would agree with you. Definitely do want a high Endurance drive.

EDIT:
Yup @HybridCore You are 100 Percent Right. The OP Should get a different NVMe Drive. Your Picks would do him nicely. I hadn't bothered to actually look up the Specific Crucial NVMe until now, I had just assumed it was a TLC or MLC Drive. Now that I See its QLC, while it work great for like a Game Drive or OS Drive or something, I would not want to use it for Production. Going with a 2TB Phison Based Drive like @HybridCore Suggested would do you better. Also if needing a Sata Drive in the System, I would Go with Something Like a 860 Evo over the WD Blue.

Again you would be fine with your Picks OP, but they would start to introduce bottlenecks for bigger projects, so I would follow HybridCore's Storage Recommendations.

My Company has a partnership with Samsung, so we pretty much only use Samsung 860/970 Drives in our Clients Workstations, and those are exactly what we need, so I tend not to think as much about storage these days. But I did get a chance to mess with a Sabrent PCIe4 Drive the other day, and I was impressed with what they are capable of. The Next Gen stuff coming out later this year should be even more impressive!

·
CS+EE Alumnus
10,321 Posts
Updated parts list:

https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/7C72k6

You don't seem like you'll be overclocking so you could go with the Tomahawk MAX (170 euro) or even the Mortar MAX (117 euro on Amazon but apparently PC Componentes usually has it for 95 euros instead; mATX version of the Tomahawk, same VRM) instead. The only issue with that is you only have one M.2 slot with PCIe 3.0 x4 bandwidth (the second slot on the Mortar only has PCIe 2.0 x4/PCIe 3.0 x2 bandwidth; the Tomahawk doesn't even have a second M.2 slot) so you would have to get the 2TB version of the Phison E12 + Toshiba BiCS TLC drives instead. Unfortunately it seems like the cheapest of them is $278 euros right now (the Pioneer APS-SE20G) which is 38 euros more than buying two separate 1TB drives but personally I think it's worth it for the improved write endurance (unless you RAID 0'd both of the 1TB drives together in which case it's more or less parity though drive failures might be more problematic and probable on the RAID 0 2x1TB setup. It's still a very, very small risk but there nonetheless) and the better quality of life (not having to deal with multi-drive management). The cost is covered by what you save by going with the Mortar or Tomahawk though.

List with the Mortar:
https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/vx72k6

If you want an mATX case to match the mATX board, I'd recommend either the Fractal Design Meshify C Mini, Silverstone RL08, Silverstone TJ08-E, Silverstone KL06, or Cooler Master NR400.

If you want some fans (would be nice for all of those except the TJ08-E which already has a monster of a fan), either a 5 pack of the Arctic P12/P14 PWM PST would be good.

P12 (120mm): https://es.pcpartpicker.com/product/LmCFf7/arctic-p12-pwm-pst5-pack-563-cfm-120-mm-fans-acfan00137a
P14 (140mm): https://es.pcpartpicker.com/product/62hKHx/arctic-p14-pwm-pst-5-pack-728-cfm-140mm-fans-acfan00138a

If you really want Noctua for some reason, the Redux versions of their fans are actually surprisingly good value fans:

NF-P12 redux 1300rpm: https://es.pcpartpicker.com/product/9MyV3C/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1300-pwm-543-cfm-120mm-fan-nf-p12-redux-1300-pwm
NF-P12 redux 1700rpm (probably need to reduce the speed to 1000-1300rpm to run quieter): https://es.pcpartpicker.com/product/VNBTwP/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm-708-cfm-120mm-fan-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm

Unfortunately the Scythe Kaze Flex 120mm and 140mm fans seem to cost an arm and a leg on Amazon in Spain. You could also try to find the Thermalright TY-14# fans (147, 143, 141, etc.).

21 - 40 of 66 Posts