Overclock.net banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
OG AMD
8,803 Posts
Latency base configuration is done now.

With respect to this thread my first questions was, can this Threadripper platform provide low latency in idle?

For me I got the answer: yes.

But I also wanted to know what causes the spike once the system is idle for some time.

Answer: Core parking as part of the power saving.

I used this exercise to get an idea of how the "Windows Performance Toolkit" works. Now I can say those tools eliminate the guesswork. LatencyMon tells you that you have an issue, but the tool kit gives you hints where and why.
Yes with the new stuff in W10 all kinds of stuff going on in the background,usually when it is not supposed to.

·
Registered
106 Posts
:) agreed, maybe those power saving features are a good idea but only if they work as intended (luckily in my case they seem to do that).

At least I learned a lot about my system and the tools to analyze it.

And as all this was academic so far. I installed Cubase loaded the demo project "Sunrise" kindly provided by Marika Takeuchi and let the system calculate the song at 96 KHz with 96 sample buffer size while listening to it. And, yea, no cracks, no drop outs, no nothing. It just worked (but I don't have a clue what I am doing here with respect to Cubase).

Attachments

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
:) agreed, maybe those power saving features are a good idea but only if they work as intended (luckily in my case they seem to do that).

At least I learned a lot about my system and the tools to analyze it.

And as all this was academic so far. I installed Cubase loaded the demo project "Sunrise" kindly provided by Marika Takeuchi and let the system calculate the song at 96 KHz with 96 sample buffer size while listening to it. And, yea, no cracks, no drop outs, no nothing. It just worked (but I don't have a clue what I am doing here with respect to Cubase).
Lol! Don't feel bad, I am audio Engineer by Trade, graduated with my BA in Audio Engineering in 2005, and still don't have a clue on what I am doing in Cubase, lol! I mean at some point one DAE Suite is pretty much the same as the other, but I live and die by my keyboard shortcuts, its how I work so quickly, and when I leave Pro Tools, that all goes out the Window. What I love is that no matter what Studio I am in, whether its Mac or PC Based, all I have to do is switch out CTRL for Command, and all my shortcuts work, its usually a small minute or 2 adjustment period then its like riding a bike. Put me on Logic or Cubase, yeah I can muddle my way through it, but I'll be complaining the entire time.

Anyways, great exercise, and awesome build!

·
Registered
106 Posts
@oreonutz

I am sure you now very well what you are doing in Cubase ;-)

By the way, it were your posts in this thread that gave me an additional confirmation to look deeper into the latency topic and end my "lurker mode".

Even though I love forums for the sheer amount of opinions and information, I am often irritated by those "brand A is crap use brand B" statements that mostly come with no details. Being a German I might have some kind of engeneering gene in my DNA even though not being educated in a technical profession. So, my brain forced me to dig deeper. I was aware that the first two Ryzen incarnations had not been fully matured regarding patform optimization and vendor integration (remember the ASUS Extreme board thread where that super expensive board had a multitude of issues with Threadripper 1). But following all the reviews and in depth feeback about Zen2 I came to the conclusion that this time AMD got it right.

But, a PC for 3D creation, rendering and playing with a DAW is not something I would consider a plug and play thing. I think the BIOS settings, on board components and Windows settings are made to meet the demand of as many average users as possible. So, it made sense to check what can be optimized. In the end I have a machine that is not breaking any benchmark records but seems to be stable as a rock for my usage (by the way I need to test a game - many years passed since I installed one).

Had a look at your system and the following came to my mind:

"I stand strong, made for duty not for beauty - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
:)

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,340 Posts
@oreonutz

I am sure you now very well what you are doing in Cubase ;-)

By the way, it were your posts in this thread that gave me an additional confirmation to look deeper into the latency topic and end my "lurker mode".

Even though I love forums for the sheer amount of opinions and information, I am often irritated by those "brand A is crap use brand B" statements that mostly come with no details. Being a German I might have some kind of engeneering gene in my DNA even though not being educated in a technical profession. So, my brain forced me to dig deeper. I was aware that the first two Ryzen incarnations had not been fully matured regarding patform optimization and vendor integration (remember the ASUS Extreme board thread where that super expensive board had a multitude of issues with Threadripper 1). But following all the reviews and in depth feeback about Zen2 I came to the conclusion that this time AMD got it right.

But, a PC for 3D creation, rendering and playing with a DAW is not something I would consider a plug and play thing. I think the BIOS settings, on board components and Windows settings are made to meet the demand of as many average users as possible. So, it made sense to check what can be optimized. In the end I have a machine that is not breaking any benchmark records but seems to be stable as a rock for my usage (by the way I need to test a game - many years passed since I installed one).

Had a look at your system and the following came to my mind:

"I stand strong, made for duty not for beauty - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
:)
I appreciate the kind words! Am super glad we inspired you to investigate those claims further yourself. You taught me a few things in the process, so I love how things like this come full circle when people of good faith come together in a community like OCN to share knowledge. So awesome!

I 100 Percent agree with you about the usefulness of a platform. It comes down to reliability, and whether or not a platform has matured enough to be able to be considered for Professional work. The Computer and platform itself needs to get out of the way of the user, and the Zen2 Based Platforms (IE, Ryzen 3000, Threadripper 3000, and Rome) All our the first AMD Products in almost exactly a decade to do this.

I really do appreciate your words, and your investigation into the subject. I hope your Rig stays out of your way, and helps excel your work. Its been since October on my Birthday since I played a game myself. If you want to play a good single player game, and like the older Bethesda based RPG's that they don't really do any more, than I highly suggest a little game called "The Outer Worlds" by the same studio that worked on "Fallout New Vegas". The Game is amazing, I bought itself for my Birthday on Oct 3rd this last year, and ended up taking off as much time as I could that month to play and beat that game. Such a good time. And finally they announced DLC for it, should come out sometime later this year. I am waiting for that to drop to jump back in. I have to be careful with Games, I have an an addictive personality type, so I tend to only allow myself to play when I have a few days off with little to do, which rarely happens these days... Anyways, Would 10 out of 10, Highly Recommend that game for a single player diversion!

·
Registered
1 Posts
LOL. This is more superstition.

For a Straight DAW Rig, where this is your top concern, and you just want it to work out of the box with no tweaking, the intel platform is set up well for this, just because they have been working with companies like AVID Since the early 2000's on perfecting their software on there platform.

That said, I just deployed 4 separate 3900x Bases systems in studios around town since the 3000 Series launch. These are mainly for Pro Tools Rigs, and they vastly outperformed the outgoing Intel 8700k systems they are replacing. The days of messed up latency based issues are long over. There were some teething with certain plugins, but they have all been worked out, just make sure to install the newest versions and you will be fine. That said, ESPECIALLY if you plan on Pirating audio plugins, you will have an easier time on Intel, but it is not quite as diar as some would want you to believe. Either Platform you choose will go nicely.

What are your main DAW Programs you plan on using?

Thinking of buying the AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Box and the ASUS ROG Strix X470-F.

I work on Reaper mainly with Kontakt, Battery, Reaktor, Plugin Alliance, Slate Digital, Arturia, iZotope, Waves and more.. Most of them pirated..

Are you aware of any compatibility problems with the VSTi-plugins?? Any other thought??

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Box
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix X470-F
RAM: 32gb, G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200MHz
SSD: 2x500gb, 2x1tb
Audio Interface: Apogee - Duet, Motu - Audio Express

61 - 66 of 66 Posts