Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm choosing new motherboard to go with my FX 6100 as the previous cheap one reached 90C on mosfet and 24/7 throttling. I did some research according to https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AgN1D79Joo7tdE9xMUFlMEVWeFhuckJEVF9aMmtpUFE&gid=4 and I already have some options which seem good for me. I will also buy CM 212 evo cooler to go on CPU and overclock a bit. So my options currently are:

1. Asus M5A97 (R2.0)

2. Asrock 970 Extreme3

3. Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

What I need from new motherboard in short:

1- Heatsinked VRM's

2- Power phase that is enough for some OC on FX6100

3- ATX form factor

4- Price range similar to my options

Also I really need for motherboard to be compatible with my FX cpu out of the box as I have no old CPU to get into socket to update bios.

Thanks for all the answers that may follow!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,691 Posts
Then I would go with
1) Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
2) Biostar TA970XE
3) Asrock 970 Extreme3
4) Asus M5A97 (R2.0)

^^^ In this order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post

Then I would go with
1) Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
2) Biostar TA970XE
3) Asrock 970 Extreme3
4) Asus M5A97 (R2.0)

^^^ In this order.
Do you by a chance know if GA-970A-UD3 supports bulldozer chip without bios update? I took a look at CPU support list and it says only from bios F3 version, but some people say that it supported their chips out of the box. I thought that gigabyte was the best option too, but this question really bothers me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippeddd View Post

Do you by a chance know if GA-970A-UD3 supports bulldozer chip without bios update? I took a look at CPU support list and it says only from bios F3 version, but some people say that it supported their chips out of the box. I thought that gigabyte was the best option too, but this question really bothers me.
It is really depend on when the mobo was made.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippeddd View Post

Do you by a chance know if GA-970A-UD3 supports bulldozer chip without bios update? I took a look at CPU support list and it says only from bios F3 version, but some people say that it supported their chips out of the box. I thought that gigabyte was the best option too, but this question really bothers me.
Chances are good if the motherboard was manufactured in the last 5 months, it will come with the F7 or F8A bios
I just bought the GA-970A-UD3 (v 1.2) a few weeks ago and I believe it came with the BIOS version F7.
(the version 1.2 motherboard has been out for 8 months)
The version 3.0 motherboard has only been out for 5 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy View Post

Chances are good if the motherboard was manufactured in the last 5 months, it will come with the F7 or F8A bios
I just bought the GA-970A-UD3 (v 1.2) a few weeks ago and I believe it came with the BIOS version F7.
(the version 1.2 motherboard has been out for 8 months)
The version 3.0 motherboard has only been out for 5 months.
Thanks for the answer man. Gigabyte MB it is!
thumb.gif
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top