Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a very old PC that is really struggling with the games I play giving me only 25fps to 30fps. I play games like world of tanks and CS GO. I have been wanting to play battlefield 4 but can't coz of my current PC. I wanna try and reuse some of the parts from my old PC.

This is what I currently have:

Intel E5200 dual core processor
Gigabyte EP43DS3 motherboard
2GB DDR 2 ram
1TB Hitachi HDD 7200rpm
Powercolor HD5870 1GB graphics card
ENERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT-ECO 620W
Generic PC case

I was thinking of getting:

1) Asus H87-plus motherboard + intel i5 4690 processor
2) MSI z87 G41 PC Mate +intel i5 4690 processor (this combo is +$3 more than combo 1)
3) MSI z87 G41 PC Mate + intel i5 4690K (this combo is + $32 more than combo 2)

An intel i5 4590 is $20 lesser than the intel i5 4690 in my country.

I am confused if I should get a 4590 or 4690 or 4690k ? I am not sure if I get the most FPS increase from an overclocked 4690k processor. Any money saved will go towards upgrading my graphics card. I am looking getting a second hand 280x graphics card by AMD. I am still deciding between a total ram of 4gb and 8gb. I would like to reuse my HDD, Case and power supply if I can.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
First it would be nice to know your max budget.
Also what exact model is that PSU? It might not be that good. @shilka can help you with the PSU buy.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospace View Post

Hi, I have a very old PC that is really struggling with the games I play giving me only 25fps to 30fps. I play games like world of tanks and CS GO. I have been wanting to play battlefield 4 but can't coz of my current PC. I wanna try and reuse some of the parts from my old PC.

This is what I currently have:

Intel E5200 dual core processor
Gigabyte EP43DS3 motherboard
2GB DDR 2 ram
1TB Hitachi HDD
Powercolor HD5870 1GB graphics card
Enermax 620W power supply
Generic PC case

I was thinking of getting:

1) Asus H87-plus motherboard + intel i5 4690 processor
2) MSI z87 G41 PC Mate +intel i5 4690 processor (this combo is +$3 more than combo 1)
3) MSI z87 G41 PC Mate + intel i5 4690K (this combo is + $32 more than combo 2)

An intel i5 4590 is $20 lesser than the intel i5 4690 in my country.

I am confused if I should get a 4590 or 4690 or 4690k ? I am not sure if I get the most FPS increase from an overclocked 4690k processor. Any money saved will go towards upgrading my graphics card. I am looking getting a second hand 280x graphics card by AMD. I am still deciding between a total ram of 4gb and 8gb. I would like to reuse my HDD, Case and power supply if I can.
Honestly, the only thing I would keep would be the case, HDD and PSU (If it's any good). The rest should be replaced. Go with 8GB of RAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillerella View Post

First it would be nice to know your max budget.
Also what exact model is that PSU? It might not be that good. @shilka can help you with the PSU buy.
^^ This

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sry. I forgot to add my budget. My budget would be abt USD$400 for Processor, motherboard and ram . Another USD$200-220 for graphics card ( most probably a second hand one). I need to build the PC in 2 phases. I can only afford a graphics card upgrade at almost end of Dec or start of Jan next year. I don't mind running low to med settings for battlefield 4 until i get a new graphics card.

I have also added the power supply model i am currently using. Hope this is enuf for the new build.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If my budget was limited... usually is, I would get the cheapest Haswell i5 I could and put the rest towards a better GPU. Looking at your choices, you may not have the budget to overclock your cpu (cooler, premium motherboard). If you don't overclock, you're probably better off not paying the premium for the 4690k part. I actually like the MSI PC Mate boards. They are good choices, especially if you aren't overclocking. They have a lot of features for a good price.

My recommendation would be to save some money and get an i5 4430 or similar and put the extra money into your GPU, ssd, or case. GPU makes the biggest difference in gaming performance. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If OP is in a really tight budget, I would go with something like this:

i5 4430 or 4460
Any H81 motherboard, like an Asus H81M-D since this has usb3.0 port on the motherbaord in case you need it in the future.
At least a GTX 750ti, or wait for GTX 960 after a few months if you want to fully utilize the $200 (or $250) budget.
8GB single stick to save monies and most likely there will be no RAM intensive programs OP is going to use anyway
I would just reuse the PSU since the rig is fairly low power, also HDD.

Sample build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vBPzGX

Only costs $440 with MIR, $40 above your CPU/mobo/RAM budget because I added a $40 case, and you can probably buy them all in one go, specially if you remove the case
smile.gif

You can even dump sell your current parts except HDD and PSU, so that you also get a bit more cash to spend on your new system.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post

If OP is in a really tight budget, I would go with something like this:

i5 4430 or 4460
Any H81 motherboard, like an Asus H81M-D since this has usb3.0 port on the motherbaord in case you need it in the future.
At least a GTX 750ti, or wait for GTX 960 after a few months if you want to fully utilize the $200 (or $250) budget.
8GB single stick to save monies and most likely there will be no RAM intensive programs OP is going to use anyway
I would just reuse the PSU since the rig is fairly low power, also HDD.

Sample build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vBPzGX

Only costs $440 with MIR, $40 above your CPU/mobo/RAM budget because I added a $40 case, and you can probably buy them all in one go, specially if you remove the case
smile.gif

You can even dump sell your current parts except HDD and PSU, so that you also get a bit more cash to spend on your new system.
Thx for the suggestions. My budget is really really tight. So I will not be overclocking. Will there be a huge difference in frames rates( maybe a drop of 10fps ? ) if i went from a intel 4690 processor to intel 4460 processor ? Will going from intel 4690 to 4460 processor impact game performance like make stutters during battles? Glad that my HDD and PSU can be reused. I just want to be able to play battlefield 4 on low settings till i upgrade my graphics card in 4 to 5 weeks time. Btw will getting rams like corsair vengeance 4GB x 2 kit give any noticeable performance advantage over those value rams like this http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-ct2kit51264ba160bj

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have another question to ask. DDR3 is dual channel ram right ? That means i need a pair to run it as dual channel ? If i use a single 8gb stick will it reduce speed ?

·
CYRUS + KEF + LG OLED....
1,423 Posts
Quote:

I have another question to ask. DDR3 is dual channel ram right ? That means i need a pair to run it as dual channel ? If i use a single 8gb stick will it reduce speed ?
It will work fine, I would get a single 8 Gb stick if you only have two slots on the motherboard, or 2x 4Gb if the board has four slots.... IMHO

I have a Pentium Anniversary dual core in an Asus H81 MATX board running at 3.6 GHz - Office/Word/Powerpoint tool but imagine it would do well in games ?

dunx

P.S. Memory speed has little impact on overall performance - built in GPU's like faster memory, mine is Hyper X 2400MHz.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
H81 boards do not have enuf sata ports. I will likely be adding an ssd and another mechanical Hard drive in about 3 to 4 months time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002dunx View Post

It will work fine, I would get a single 8 Gb stick if you only have two slots on the motherboard, or 2x 4Gb if the board has four slots.... IMHO

I have a Pentium Anniversary dual core in an Asus H81 MATX board running at 3.6 GHz - Office/Word/Powerpoint tool but imagine it would do well in games ?

dunx

P.S. Memory speed has little impact on overall performance - built in GPU's like faster memory, mine is Hyper X 2400MHz.
So it does not matter if ram is cl9 or cl11 ? Hope its not noticeable difference.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002dunx View Post

I have the unlocked Pentium dual core, which I got up to 4.4GHz on the stock cooler and a B85 board. Can confirm that in conjunction with my R9 270x it does great at 1080p high settings in all the games I've tried. I'm sure there are some games that do like the extra threads but it might be worth considering as an option with a view to upgrading to an i5 down the line to make best use of the budget now?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tek syndicates mostly has AMD build.

I was looking at a few motherboards. It just mind boggling to have so many models. I do not intend to overclock.

These were the few were around my budget :

1) Asus H87 plus
2) MSI z87 g41 pc mate
3)Asrock B85 Killer

4) MSI B85 g41 pc mate
5) MSI h97 pc mate

Item 1,2 and 3 are same price. Item 4 and 5 are $20 more less than 1 or 2 [edited]. If it were you, what would u choose. Any reason would be helpful too.

I also came across some posts that claim that z87 motherboards are better built than h87 or b85. Is this even true ?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Quote:

Thx for the suggestions. My budget is really really tight. So I will not be overclocking. Will there be a huge difference in frames rates( maybe a drop of 10fps ? ) if i went from a intel 4690 processor to intel 4460 processor ? Will going from intel 4690 to 4460 processor impact game performance like make stutters during battles? Glad that my HDD and PSU can be reused. I just want to be able to play battlefield 4 on low settings till i upgrade my graphics card in 4 to 5 weeks time. Btw will getting rams like corsair vengeance 4GB x 2 kit give any noticeable performance advantage over those value rams like this http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-ct2kit51264ba160bj
Going with a 4430 instead of the 4690 is not going to have much of an impact. At stock speeds, there is somewhere around a 10% performance difference. In games, you would be lucky to see a 1 or 2 fps difference in most scenarios. Overclocking the 4690k is where they would really begin to separate, but you're not overclocking. Which is why the lower cost i5 parts are a better economical choice in my opinion.

You could also go with an AMD build, but I think you should be able to find the i5 4430 for around $169, which isn't much difference in price from an FX 8350.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastablades View Post

go check out Tek Syndicates youtube page. they have some really good budget builds lately
On my very first gaming rig years ago, I copied a Tek Syndicate video exactly and was quite happy. Logan and Wendall really know their stuff.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Quote:

Tek syndicates mostly has AMD build.

I was looking at a few motherboards. It just mind boggling to have so many models. I do not intend to overclock.

These were the few were around my budget :

1) Asus H87 plus
2) MSI z87 g41 pc mate
3)Asrock B85 Killer

4) MSI B85 g41 pc mate
5) MSI h97 pc mate

Item 1,2 and 3 are same price. Item 4 and 5 are $20 more than 1 or 2. If it were you, what would u choose. Any reason would be helpful too.

I also came across some posts that claim that z87 motherboards are better built than h87 or b85. Is this even true ?
It's not that z87 boards are better built, it's about the features each chipset offers. Do a quick google search of B85 vs Z87 and you will see the differences. I owned the MSI B85 PC Mate Board. I couldn't overclock with it, but I chose it because the price was great and it was pretty feature packed for the price being a business class board. I never had an issue with it at all.

The MSI Z87 PC Mate board is about the same as the B85 version, but is geared more for gaming. Typically, the Z87 should be more expensive. The fact that it is cheaper than the B85 version makes it an even better deal. I would buy either the MSI Z87 PC Mate which allows "some" overclocking ability and multi-gpu if you ever need those features... or, the MSI H97 PC Mate which doesn't support overclocking or multi-gpu, but does give you an M.2 port for ssd connectivity.

Just remember, the MSI PC Mate boards are not premium boards. But, I have found them to be excellent choices when on a budget. They are super reliable and their bios is very easy to navigate. I have used more MSI budget boards than I can count and the PC Mate boards specifically on 5 occasions. I have never once had an issue with them ever. You just have to be realistic about them and realize you're not buying a premium gaming board and overclocking is pretty much off the table... or limited anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depauville Kid View Post

On my very first gaming rig years ago, I copied a Tek Syndicate video exactly and was quite happy. Logan and Wendall really know their stuff.
My friend has warned me against using AMD processor saying that games other than battlefield 4 will not run as well on it. I am not sure how true this is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts