Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am following a Tomshardware "how to ask for a new build advice" sticky. I'm new to these forums and fairly new to building PCs so I've come to absorb as much knowledge as possible to allow me to build a solid gaming rig.
Approx purchase date: Within the next 2 weeks
Budget range: around $1,500
Reason for build: video games
I am not buying a monitor (current resolution is 1920x1200), I'm building an entirely new comp and I do need to purchase an OS.
I like neweggs prices and suport but I am open to suggestions if people think certain websites offer better deals or more customization.
I would like to overclock and I do plan on crossfiring in the future.
The only thing I am really sure of is that I would like a corsair 800d or 900d as well as some crazy neon water-cooling shenanigans.
Please enlighten me :]

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
800/900D is too expensive for your budget, and you really only need a case that big if you're doing full water cooling with multiple pumps and reservoirs. Frankly, I wouldn't do any custom water cooling at this level. The couple hundred dollars it would cost is better spent on hardware.

Here's what I think a good $1500 build would look like
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qUuN

If you really want watercooling you could sub in an all-in-one system like a corsair 100i instead of the cooler master EVO for additional cost. And if you'd rather buy nvidia than AMD, replace the 7950 with a GTX 760.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with Drgroove on the thought of not going a custom loop with your current budget, as for the corsair 800D/900D it can be done but you would have to sacrifice something like a SSD which is up to you. For this build i would also go with a AMD setup ,for gaming things like the processor dont mean much and with the ps4/xboxone coming out with the amd jaguar 8 core Apu's we will finally see games being heavily threaded and no longer having to use crappy intel instruction compilers.

Here is also a build i put together :
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qW4S

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGkrook View Post

I agree with Drgroove on the thought of not going a custom loop with your current budget, as for the corsair 800D/900D it can be done but you would have to sacrifice something like a SSD which is up to you. For this build i would also go with a AMD setup ,for gaming things like the processor dont mean much and with the ps4/xboxone coming out with the amd jaguar 8 core Apu's we will finally see games being heavily threaded and no longer having to use crappy intel instruction compilers.

Here is also a build i put together :
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qW4S
He posted in the Intel section, so I just assumed that's what he wanted. I still think a 4770K would smoke a 8350 in gaming, even with future games. If steamroller were out, it might be a different story. Also, don't forget he needs to buy windows.

I like the build you posted, especially that nice deal on the platinum power supply and the case. That Corsair Air 540 is what I would use for myself on a new build. I would still go with 16gb of the RAM I posted though.

How you want to distribute hard drive spending/space is up to you. With a 128gig SSD you'll have space for the OS and most applications, including things like photo/video/audio editing software. I have the 256 and it allows me to keep most of the steam games I'm currently playing installed as well.

I guess here would be my revised build for AMD, just under $1500
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qWVQ

Here would be the same build with Intel. Over budget, but a bit better CPU performance, easier overclocking, lower power consumption
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qX2Y

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im open to either processor honestly. And I know the those two cases are big and expensive but this computer I do plan on upgrading in the future and an SSD is really not something I'm interested in purchasing at the moment

·
Registered
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGroove View Post

800/900D is too expensive for your budget, and you really only need a case that big if you're doing full water cooling with multiple pumps and reservoirs. Frankly, I wouldn't do any custom water cooling at this level. The couple hundred dollars it would cost is better spent on hardware.

Here's what I think a good $1500 build would look like
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qUuN

If you really want watercooling you could sub in an all-in-one system like a corsair 100i instead of the cooler master EVO for additional cost. And if you'd rather buy nvidia than AMD, replace the 7950 with a GTX 760.
I tweaked the build a bit. Little less here, little more there.

doh.gif
Just get an SSD to start with. What ever your friends or other people have been saying about them is wrong. I can gaurantee once you use a computer with an ssd, anything else is intolerable.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Here's what I came up with your budget, included the case you ask for 800D, used the i5 4670K very good for gaming, HT on i7 wont give much difference in performance, the saving I divert to other parts, used 8GB memory since most system for games seldom exceed this capacity, used a 620W psu with good single rail amperage but still capable of xfire that 7970 gpu & semi modular in cabling. Included the OS as needed and a 360mm length XSPC watercooling since you have a huge case it can swallow it no problem, include only a hdd as mentioned by TS he's still on contemplating whether to upgrade later if he will need an SSD. I used an entry level motherboard by asus which has good review. Hope you got an idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the build you posted, especially that nice deal on the platinum power supply and the case. I would go with 32gb of the RAM I posted though
lce6Z

·
Senior OCN Member
40,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuw View Post

Here's what I came up with your budget, included the case you ask for 800D, used the i5 4670K very good for gaming, HT on i7 wont give much difference in performance, the saving I divert to other parts, used 8GB memory since most system for games seldom exceed this capacity, used a 620W psu with good single rail amperage but still capable of xfire that 7970 gpu & semi modular in cabling. Included the OS as needed and a 360mm length XSPC watercooling since you have a huge case it can swallow it no problem, include only a hdd as mentioned by TS he's still on contemplating whether to upgrade later if he will need an SSD. I used an entry level motherboard by asus which has good review. Hope you got an idea.
The M2 620 is a SevenTeam made PSU so no that one is a crappy PSU

A Rosewill Capstone-M 550 watts would be far better

·
Banned
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanesfiel View Post

I like the build you posted, especially that nice deal on the platinum power supply and the case. I would go with 32gb of the RAM I posted though
lce6Z
It's a gaming rig.
He didn't mention he was running 10 VM's, or planning to use RAMdisk.
8 Gb is enough for gaming.
Some people like 16Gb.

People with 32 gb in a gaming rig bought their computer at best buy or has a %$/"ton of money to waste.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGroove View Post

He posted in the Intel section, so I just assumed that's what he wanted. I still think a 4770K would smoke a 8350 in gaming, even with future games. If steamroller were out, it might be a different story. Also, don't forget he needs to buy windows.

I like the build you posted, especially that nice deal on the platinum power supply and the case. That Corsair Air 540 is what I would use for myself on a new build. I would still go with 16gb of the RAM I posted though.

How you want to distribute hard drive spending/space is up to you. With a 128gig SSD you'll have space for the OS and most applications, including things like photo/video/audio editing software. I have the 256 and it allows me to keep most of the steam games I'm currently playing installed as well.

I guess here would be my revised build for AMD, just under $1500
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qWVQ

Here would be the same build with Intel. Over budget, but a bit better CPU performance, easier overclocking, lower power consumption
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qX2Y
in all honesty as practically ALL games are gpu dependent and not cpu dependent and that the cpu will maybe give u +6 frames i always opt to go for amd on a lower than 2 grand budget. for gaming you most definitely dont need 16 gigs of ram and if you notice the 8 gigs i posted were 2133 mhz as amd processors take advantage of faster ram that 1866 unlike intel. I also did not include windows 8 because i personally would NOT pay for that peice of gimped software especially when u can just torrent win7 ultimate 64 bit.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,422 Posts
Quote:

Revised! heres your 900D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rar9
The XFX DD card is the worst custom card money can buy it cant cool jack .... and its loud as all hell at the same time

I know i had one myself and its horrible

The Corsair AX760 is also bad value when compared to the Cooler Master V which is the same PSU as the AX760

But you dont even need 760 watts for that system 550 watts is still more then power

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually really like that corsair air case, the only reason i found the 900d so appealing was because of the full window, If i can get that for much less money then im down, and that in turn gives me the extra cash for an SSD. Im still conflicted on whether to go Intel or AMD for the cpu, Im leaning towards AMD just to save money and I know the performance will still be great. 8gb of ram seems like enough aaaaand as far as the OS goes, ive never had a problem with windows 7 but Id be willing to upgrade to windows 8 if it was worth it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

The XFX DD card is the worst custom card money can buy it cant cool jack .... and its loud as all hell at the same time

I know i had one myself and its horrible

The Corsair AX760 is also bad value when compared to the Cooler Master V which is the same PSU as the AX760

But you dont even need 760 watts for that system 550 watts is still more then power
What do you suggest for an AMD card then?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawjik View Post

What do you suggest for an AMD card then?
Pretty much anything else

i rather like the Asus CU II cards but i have heard others say the Gigabyte Windforce cards are good

Dont really know first hand only had the XFX DD which i sold after 10 weeks it was so loud it hurt my ears

I switched to Nvidia after that as it was the 3 AMD card with problems in a row so got fed up

·
Registered
94 Posts
Im preety sure the OP plans to watercool the card so noise wont be an issue, the main reason i chose that card is because all the other 7970 ghz editions have crappy looking blue pcb. and also the corsair 760i is basically for the future proof as the OP will be adding on more cards later down the line ( always future proof) not to mention corsair psu's are the business with reliability and warranty and they come in that sexy high quality velvet bag. Not to mention that since that is the corsair 760i with the dominator platinum he can connect the psu the ram and the corsair h100i together to use corsair link which can be used for monitoring all the performance of his system and whatever lighting setup he chooses , not to mention the sexy sleeved aftermarket color corsair cables you can buy to match the rest of your rig for the psu .
thumb.gif

·
Senior OCN Member
40,422 Posts
Quote:

Im preety sure the OP plans to watercool the card so noise wont be an issue, the main reason i chose that card is because all the other 7970 ghz editions have crappy looking blue pcb. and also the corsair 760i is basically for the future proof as the OP will be adding on more cards later down the line ( always future proof) not to mention corsair psu's are the business with reliability and warranty and they come in that sexy high quality velvet bag. Not to mention that since that is the corsair 760i with the dominator platinum he can connect the psu the ram and the corsair h100i together to use corsair link which can be used for monitoring all the performance of his system and whatever lighting setup he chooses , not to mention the sexy sleeved aftermarket color corsair cables you can buy to match the rest of your rig for the psu .
thumb.gif
The Corsair link software on the PSU side does not work and does not give you the right numbers so its pointless to buy

www.overclock.net/t/1324891/corsair-deny-all-knowledge-ax1200i-software-broken-probably-applies-to-ax860i-and-ax760i-as-well

Also the Corsair AX760 and AX760i is not made by the same OEM

The Cooler Master V would be far better value its the same PSU as the AX760 but cheaper

1 - 20 of 117 Posts