Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,

My girlfriend has like a pretty old macbook pro, maybe 2009-2010 macbook pro 15". She has constant issues with the system freezing up, being extremely slow and also extremely hot! I'm wondering if its a number of 2 problems. 1. It looks to me like she only has 2GB of system memory and she's has 0 free memory... 2. I have a feeling the CPU might be downclocking due to heat and that's why she says its slow...

I need some advice on some memory! I'd like to get her 8GB preferably 2x4GB sticks, but if you convince me 1 stick of 8GB is better I'll get that. I believe its DDR3 204pin. I saw on newegg that they have "Laptop" memory and "Mac" memory, seems to me that the mac memory is alot fewer and alot more expensive...any reason why? Can't I just get normal laptop ram? I'm also looking at 1600 speed as well, but if you think I won't see a difference between 1333 and 1600 then 1333 would be fine.

Now as far as the heat issue goes. I'm not versed with taking a mac apart, so I'm wondering if there's any good guides for getting to the heatsink to replace the thermal paste? I'm also hoping to have the laptop on when the back panel is off to make sure the fans work for cooling the CPU, not sure they do....my gf says the mac gets soo hot she can't even hold it....

For memory, Looking at these:

Crucial 1.35V 1333 8GB
I'm not sure the bios auto detects the proper voltage for the memory or if it'll go straight to 1.5V but I was thinking, from a heat standpoint, it might be good to try to find 1.35V memory to reduce heat, but not sure 1.35-1.5V will make a difference....
or
G.Skill 8GB 1333 Best Reviews Memory

As for the thermal paste goes, MX2 will be my choice if I'm able to get to it!

Thanks guys! Hopefully the tag of "Girlfriend" will get me alot of replies to this! Looking for an answer here pretty quick!

·
Registered
279 Posts
For the memory the "Mac" memory is just memory that is certified by apple to work for their machines. Most of my freinds that have Macintosh have had good luck with Kingston brand memory. If I were you though I wiould check some of the macintosh forums. Don't bother with the official mac forums as Apple likes to prune those. MacRumors.com is a good one to check. For the heat issues, it may just be a buildup of dust on the fan and heatsink.

You can follow this guide to take the laptop apart: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Manuals/15-inch-macbook-pro-manual.pdf

That is assuming that you have a 2009 or 2010. You can also find a bunch of take apart video's on youtube.

·
Registered
279 Posts
For the memory the "Mac" memory is just memory that is certified by apple to work for their machines. Most of my freinds that have Macintosh have had good luck with Kingston brand memory. If I were you though I wiould check some of the macintosh forums. Don't bother with the official mac forums as Apple likes to prune those. MacRumors.com is a good one to check. For the heat issues, it may just be a buildup of dust on the fan and heatsink.

You can follow this guide to take the laptop apart: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Manuals/15-inch-macbook-pro-manual.pdf

That is assuming that you have a 2009 or 2010. You can also find a bunch of take apart video's on youtube.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Replacing ram on a Macbook Pro is pretty easy. You just need those mini-sized screwdrivers and a plier (in my experience, one of the screws is really hard to turn because of some glue or something).

DDR3 SODIMM is DDR3 SODIMM. Don't bother with "Mac" type memory. They are pretty much marketing gimmicks to take advantage and get more money. Not sure about voltages, but the Mac will go for the default option, so I'd just pick the 'normal' types. It doesn't make too much of a difference anyway.

As for a recommendation for ram, I used 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz on a 2011 MBP.

Here's a guide: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270

Also, get compressed air as there will be probably loads of dust there. That might also solve the heat problem. Try that first before replacing the thermal compound.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found out its a 2007 macbook pro, so according to the apple page it says its DDR2 memory, I take it I can't use DDR3 memory? I'll actually have to physically confirm that its DDR2 and I'll take a look at it, I'm also not sure if its 1 or 2 DIMM slots, according to the apple page its 2 but I saw a video and it was just 1...so I'll find that out as well...

Thanks for the help guys! If its DDR2 I'll probably get 4GB since 8GB Is WAYY too expensive for DDR2.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Majority of the Unibody 15" use DDR3-1066 or 1333 just fine. Check the "About This Mac" section when you select the Apple icon on the top left. It will be DDR3-1066 or 1333.

I got a 8GB corsair kit (Dual 4GB) for about 45USD from NCIX. 8GB alone and a clean OS install should speed up alot.
I went from 4GB; I can have Unity3D, Maya and Photoshop open with multiple texture maps and safari with a dozen tabs and music streaming. No lag at all and still memory to spare.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,157 Posts
I'd recommend buying your RAM through OWC. They offer lifetime warranties and all the RAM is Mac certified -- if you don't go with certified then there's a chance you'll pick a brand which will cause you grief, e.g., overheating or booting problems. It works out the same price (or just about) so you may as well go with the certified stuff.

OWC also offers video tutorials for replacing components (such as RAM, optical drives and HDDs) in Macs, including the MacBook Pro. If you look up your model number in the System Information app on her Mac then you can find out what video to look up (if you need it -- it's a good idea since you'll know exactly where to go and what tools you'll need) and what RAM and how much of it you can get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts