Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, after a chat w/ my dad's friend he said that if i'm mainly gaming i should buy ATi/AMD instead of nVidia/Intel.

Here's a list of EVERYTHING i'm thinking of buying

AMD FX-8150 8-core 3.8GHz processor
ASUS Crosshair V Thunderbolt
8GB Corsair Vengeance
2x MSI R6970 Lightning TF3
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W
Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Corsair H100 liquid cooler
Arctic silver 5

Casing

NZXT Phantom black

Fans

CM megaflow 200mm
2x Noctua 120mm
1x Noctua 140mm

What do you think? and should I wait for the 7970 VGA card?

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Have you considered the 2500k?

-drop the AS5.

Maybe you could wait for the 7 series
Quote:

"The first 28nm AMD HD 7000 series GPUs will arrive in Q4 of this year (from October to December)"

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Your dad's friend is wrong, no offence. if you are gaming you should go i5-2500K and a GTX 580 3GB. If you are looking for a budget, you should go with AMD and do not go with the FX processor right now... the i5-2500K wipes the floor with the 8 core bulldozer. Games only use at most 4 cores anyways. Most games are still only utilizing 2 cores. Also, a 3GB 580 should run everything at max at a 1080p res with very playable frame rates, maybe not 100+ FPS, but at least 50+.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewmchugh
View Post

Have you considered the 2500k?

-drop the AS5.

but i5 is 4-core. the FX is 8 core...

why drop the AS5?

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TK421
View Post

why drop the AS5?

Yeh but the FX is poor, its not worth the price tag.. and unless AMD have got a bios fault with the FX, the 2500k is equal or better in bench marks.

·
#SavedTheCrew
2,644 Posts
Quote:

View Post

why drop the AS5?

The AS5 isn't needed because Corsair puts Shin-Etsu paste pre-applied to their H-series coolers.

Your dad's friend is right if you're gaming on a budget, but it looks like with your budget you can afford Intel.

Also, gaming currently won't be helped at all by 8-cores over 4. No game out there supports that.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Quote:

View Post

The i5 has 4 really fast cores, the FX is 8 slow cores
I think I read somewhere that it doesnt have "true" cores either. But I am not sure where I read it.

Also, just because it has 8 cores, you would think it would be faster (I used to think so too), but it is not the case. It is not built as well as the intel 1155 processors.

EDIT:
Here is a benchmark if you don't believe us

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:

View Post

why drop the AS5?

I will try to explain it to you in another way.
Would you rather have 4 euro or 8 usd? Each Euro
is stronger than each USD. 4 Euro beats 8 USD.
The i7 2600k is better than the new 8 core by AMD,
even though the new AMD was just released this month.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

View Post

Yeh but the FX is poor, its not worth the price tag.. and unless AMD have got a bios fault with the FX, the 2500k is equal or better in bench marks.

Should i wait for a BIOS fix?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavi
View Post

The AS5 isn't needed because Corsair puts Shin-Etsu paste pre-applied to their H-series coolers.

Your dad's friend is right if you're gaming on a budget, but it looks like with your budget you can afford Intel.

Also, gaming currently won't be helped at all by 8-cores over 4. No game out there supports that.

how does the shin-etsu compare to AS5?

does game run better on intel rather than AMD?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don't want to sound mean but your dad's friend is either a fan-boy, or out of date by like 10 years, or just talking about GPUs. Intel's CPUs are by far the best and the 2500k is the best gaming CPU out and at the most is priced at $220 USD. GPUs on the other hand you really can't go wrong with choosing either HD6000 series is a great set of cards. If you want the most performance drop the AMD CPU and mobo and pick up a 2500k and a P67 or Z68 mobo and OC it to 4.5 or higher. You will regret it if you pick up a BD proc or a thuban if all you are gonna do is game. I am no fan-boy either I just choose which ever is better at the time. GPUs I choose based on how many drivers I have recently had with either one and then compare to the prices haha.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Since the intel processors are faster, yes
expecially CPU intensive games like Starcraft. If you were playing a non CPU intensive game, maybe like BF3, you might see a 5 FPS increase in intel.

The bios fix is not something worth waiting for. An 8 core is useless for gaming. Since you will have atleast 4 cores not being utilized by the game.

·
Registered
210 Posts
simply put the 2500k will smoke the ALL AMD CPUs out for gaming at the moment and you should NOT choose a BD FX chip cuz the are a MASSIVE disappointment.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Quote:

View Post

how does the shin-etsu compare to AS5?

Quote:

shin-etsu compare to AS5

IIRC shin-etsu is no longer used on them now.

Quote:

I honesty dont think thats going to be the case I just think that its a bad egg.

Quote:

Games are down to the GPU really, but I would be picking a 2500k.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Games are down to the GPU really, but I would be picking a 2500k.

This is normally the case. All depends on the game though. But I agree, most games are going to be GPU intensive rather than CPU intensive. I also agree on the i5-2500K

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Hello TK421,

There were many years there where AMD really shined on the CPU front, in recent years things have changed quite a bit. While AMD still makes very useful CPUs in their price segment (not counting bulldozer, which is very overpriced currently), AMD is basically selling more cores, and less per core performance, at a reduced cost. In the world of heavy duty productivity apps like engineering apps or video editing, or operating a very heavily loaded server, all those cores can come into play and perform as good or better than intel systems for the same dollar. When it comes to gaming, the VAST majority of games still only utlize 1-3 cores, and the performance of those games, is directly associated with the number of instruction per cycle on 1-3 cores combined with the clock speed of the CPU. As it stands currently, Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs are delivering roughly 40% better per-cycle-per-core performance than AMD phenom II or Bulldozer. What this translates to is better gaming performance with an Intel CPU in the vast majority of cases. As it turns out, the vast majority of games will perform better with a dual core intel i3-2100, than any AMD CPU available at any price. Move up to an i5-2500, and there isn't an AMD CPU that can compete in any gaming contest. In fact, even of you allow overclocking on the AMD CPU, there is no realistic stable overclock that will compete with the stock speed of an i5-2500.

The 8150 is currently priced higher than a 2500K, yet, the 2500K has substantially better per core performance, which translates to better gaming performance. Even in heavily threaded comparisons where all 8 cores are used (no games use 8 cores), the 8150 finds itself between the i5-2500 and i7-2600 quad cores. Even worse, bulldozer will use substantially more power doing it, which translates to more heat, more waste, etc.

If you have a budget range that can afford an 8150 and nice build around it, then you will do yourself a favor by using that budget to get a 2500K and a step better GPU than would be afforded on the AMD config.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:/

i will consider the intel, i've read a full review of the i7, i5, fx-8150, thuban 1100t

but the motherboards sure is expensive :|

·
Registered
177 Posts
Go with the one that is in your price range and budget. What else will you be using the computer for? Maybe that will help you decide on what you should look into. Get a good motherboard and you'll be happy you did! I didn't think I would even care to over clock my PC as much as I have but I am overly thankful I purchased such a great mobo to do so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow way to knock the kid around..
Here i will answer this as not a fanboy as either.
Buy what you want to buy.
Is the FX really going to affect you in gaming? No it's not going to bottleneck your video card.Which is a good thing..

However you could and more than likely will see this if you friends have an i5/7
You might get 86fps in a game using a FX were using a i5/7 you getting 95/100..
And you might winrar a file in 2.21sec instead of 2min or 1.95sec.

To be honest if your a gamer and you are just doing normal computer stuff nothing hardcore..
It really doesn't matter go with what you want.

If you have an FX and the Guy next to you has an i5 while you are playing Battlefield 3(the game will look the same) the game doesn't care what you have, in your box--it matters are you better than him..

And just to piss him off---if you have a FX and you kill him just say that's because I'm running a Faildozzer i mean bulldozer in my computer...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts