Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I'm new to watercooling and I'm looking to build my first loop. Current setup

NZXT H440
Gigabyte Z97 MX Gaming 5
i7 4790k overclocked to 4.7
2 x 8 GB Corsair Dominator RAM
XFX Vega 64 Liquid
Kraken X62 CPU cooler

So as you can see I'm currently running 2 aio's. They work ok. I get good CPU temps. The aio on the Vega 64 struggles. It can hit 60 to 65 C pretty easily. And still have a some what noisy fan while doing it. I've always wanted to get into custom loop building. I had originally thought I would start small and just replace my Kraken X62 with a custom CPU loop. Then I could add in the GPU waterblock down the road. I did quite a bit of research and made up a parts list for a CPU loop. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ufoygm1fdk9nvb/Water Cooling Parts List.xlsx?dl=0 If I'm missing anything or if you don't agree with any of the parts please let me know as I'm very new to this. I also used the loop configurator on ek's website to compare. It came up with the same price as my custom list. However, it was missing a lot of the accessories like the pump mount and fittings necessary to put in a drain. So going that route ended up being 50 dollars or so more than my list and from what I have read that Hardware Labs radiator is superior to EK's.

But I did some more looking and noticed the EK Fluidgaming line. The A240R with an additional 360 mm radiator would be $330. So for a hundred dollars less I'm getting a GPU block and a lot more radiator capacity. Yes, I know it's aluminum so it will limit the parts and accessories I can buy so that I don't mix metals. But from a pure performance standpoint is copper really that much better to justify that much extra money?? I watched some videos from Jayztwocents and Linus and they were getting very good results with just the 240mm radiator and not adding in the 360. Only thing that scares me about the aluminum kit is that you're dependent on EK to release an aluminum block down the road if I ever want to upgrade CPU or GPU.

·
Banned
720 Posts
This would scare me too.

Only thing that scares me about the aluminum kit is that you're dependent on EK to release an aluminum block down the road if I ever want to upgrade CPU or GPU.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Seen as it is your first build I would keep it simple. Rez/pump combo. 1 rx 360 rad and be done with it.

I would stick with copper/nickel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. That's pretty much what my parts list that I came up with is. Is that a good setup? The only thing I wonder about with my list is I went with the cheaper EK block. Is it good enough or would I see a big gain by going with the EVO block?

Why do you say stick with copper/nickel?

Also, would a 360 radiator be enough for a 4790k and a Vega 64 or would I need to add another radiator when I add a GPU block?

·
Vega + Water = Power
213 Posts
Ok. That's pretty much what my parts list that I came up with is. Is that a good setup? The only thing I wonder about with my list is I went with the cheaper EK block. Is it good enough or would I see a big gain by going with the EVO block?

Also, would a 360 radiator be enough for a 4790k and a Vega 64 or would I need to add another radiator when I add a GPU block?
You may need more rad space than just a 360 when you add the 64, it's work with just the 360 but your GPU temps will still be a little high (60-ish), basing this on my setup with a Ryzen 7 1800x and Vega 64. From the stuff I've seen, there isn't much difference between the MX and the EVO block, maybe a couple degrees, but nothing significant. And copper/nickel gives the best thermal performance and there are more manufacturers that make copper/nickel parts that you can add to your loop in the future.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may need more rad space than just a 360 when you add the 64, it's work with just the 360 but your GPU temps will still be a little high (60-ish), basing this on my setup with a Ryzen 7 1800x and Vega 64. From the stuff I've seen, there isn't much difference between the MX and the EVO block, maybe a couple degrees, but nothing significant. And copper/nickel gives the best thermal performance and there are more manufacturers that make copper/nickel parts that you can add to your loop in the future.
That's kind of what I was thinking. My rough plan was to place the 360 mm radiator on the front of my case as intake. Then when I add GPU block to also add as 240 mm radiator on top as exhaust.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of fans do you guys recommend? I've read good things about Vardar's. Just wondering if there are better options out there? I know some guys say Noctua but according to the numbers on their website that while they are significantly quieter than the Vardar, they don't put out near the static pressure.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,197 Posts

A good 360 rad is plenty for the 4790K and Vega 64. Something like an HWL 360GTS would have no issues keeping that cool with low noise....whereas something like an EK 360SE would not be able to keep up. So is 360 enough? Yes, but only of you buy one that has the quality to handle it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A good 360 rad is plenty for the 4790K and Vega 64. Something like an HWL 360GTS would have no issues keeping that cool with low noise....whereas something like an EK 360SE would not be able to keep up. So is 360 enough? Yes, but only of you buy one that has the quality to handle it.
Yeah I read some reviews on slim radiators. Definitely going to go HWL and not EK.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so I'm doing some more work on this. Just trying to make it a little more affordable while still getting good, high quality parts. I'm looking at the pump right now. I currently have the EK-XRES 140 Evo D5 plus a mounting kit. Which is $187.00. Anyone have any recommendations for a good, quiet pump that will save me some money? I found this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...mp_Combo_DDC_-1T_Plus_32.html?tl=g59c671s2151

That would be quite a bit cheaper but it's also a DDC pump instead of D5. Not sure how big of a deal that is as I don't know much about the differences in the pumps.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
That's kind of what I was thinking. My rough plan was to place the 360 mm radiator on the front of my case as intake. Then when I add GPU block to also add as 240 mm radiator on top as exhaust.
having all radiatiors as intake will always be better.

Ok so I'm doing some more work on this. Just trying to make it a little more affordable while still getting good, high quality parts. I'm looking at the pump right now. I currently have the EK-XRES 140 Evo D5 plus a mounting kit. Which is $187.00. Anyone have any recommendations for a good, quiet pump that will save me some money? I found this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...mp_Combo_DDC_-1T_Plus_32.html?tl=g59c671s2151

That would be quite a bit cheaper but it's also a DDC pump instead of D5. Not sure how big of a deal that is as I don't know much about the differences in the pumps.
you wont get any quieter than a d5.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
According to several reviews that I've read they say that EK's SPC-60 pump performs the same as a D5 vario on setting 3. For a lot less money. I know that it will be more than enough pump for a cpu block and a single radiator. But what about down the road when I add a GPU block and possible another radiator?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts