Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I need help on choosing parts for a desktop PC used for every-day tasks and photo editing.

All parts/peripherals are needed, including OS. There aren't really any requirements other than a decent amount of storage and the monitor must be 32".

There is not really a budget, but that doesn't mean it should be really expensive if it can be avoided. It will not be used for gaming.

Bonus: If you want to you can add your recommended software for photo and video editing + the Office 2013 package.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivr56 View Post

How much photo and video editing will you be doing?
Rough budget to aim for?
Its main purpose is to edit photos and videos, so quite often.

Preferably no more than $1500 - but it can be stretched if it isn't feasible with that budget. If it easily is feasible below $1500, then I would prefer if it was under that price, of course.

It'll be connected to a NAS-server to transfer videos and photos back and forth, if that matters.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrb View Post

Its main purpose is to edit photos and videos, so quite often.
I guess the follow up, as a job?
Software adds up fast but you can get away with Premier/Photoshop Elements for the basics or open source. Step upto CS6/CC for Lightroom, Photoshop and Premier + AE if its client facing.

Software definitely wont fit the budget but the rest sure will. 1500 Should be enough. 500 for monitor, OS, keyboard/mouse, Leaves around 1000 for the rig which is plenty if gaming is not a factor.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:

Preferably no more than $1500 - but it can be stretched if it isn't feasible with that budget. If it easily is feasible below $1500, then I would prefer if it was under that price, of course.
With a decent 32" monitor (2560x1440) that's no gonna leave much room I don't think..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivr56 View Post

I guess the follow up, as a job?

1500 Should be enough. 500 for monitor, OS, keyboard/mouse, Leaves around 1000 for the rig which is plenty if gaming is not a factor.
Not a job, no, and no gaming will be needed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathelm View Post

With a decent 32" monitor (2560x1440) that's no gonna leave much room I don't think..
You're right, the montor will probably be a bit expensive. Let's say about $2000 - $2500 then.

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

That probably wouldn't pay for the monitor and editing software, let alone any actual computer hardware. lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post

That probably wouldn't pay for the monitor and editing software, let alone any actual computer hardware. lol
I probably worded it incorrectly, I guess the $1500 - $2500 range should just be for hardware + OS and the bonus was just recommending software for editing videos/pictures and then I'd look up the price for that where I live.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ahh.. Budget changed while I was playing... But mine is a rookie build anyways ( well, maybe not rookie, just out of the game for some time), and should be viewed with a grain of salt...
rolleyes.gif

I just enjoy playing with the PCPartPicker. Could of used it way back when....

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zDvvYJ

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR05 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Force LS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280X 3GB TurboDuo Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case ($83.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Cougar 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Philips BDL3245E00 60Hz 32.0" Monitor ($444.99 @ Mac Mall)
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-8100 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: Logitech RX250 Wired Optical Mouse ($19.50 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Cyber Acoustics CA3001RB 14W 2.1ch Speakers ($19.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1463.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-20 03:17 EST-0500

And for OS, I plan on using this guy at reddit myself here in just a few days....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Ahh.. Budget changed while I was playing... But mine is a rookie build anyways ( well, maybe not rookie, just out of the game for some time), and should be viewed with a grain of salt...
rolleyes.gif

I just enjoy playing with the PCPartPicker. Could of used it way back when....

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zDvvYJ

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR05 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Force LS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280X 3GB TurboDuo Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case ($83.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Cougar 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Philips BDL3245E00 60Hz 32.0" Monitor ($444.99 @ Mac Mall)
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-8100 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: Logitech RX250 Wired Optical Mouse ($19.50 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Cyber Acoustics CA3001RB 14W 2.1ch Speakers ($19.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1463.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-20 03:17 EST-0500

And for OS, I plan on using this guy at reddit myself here in just a few days....
Thanks for your help and thanks for the link to that reddit thread!

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

I probably worded it incorrectly, I guess the $1500 - $2500 range should just be for hardware + OS and the bonus was just recommending software for editing videos/pictures and then I'd look up the price for that where I live.
You can photo and video edit on any computer. If you don't mind buying used you could probably save a lot on a monitor. That's what I'd spend most of my budget on, in any computer really. If you're going new, those 4k monitors sure would be nice for photo editing. But then you'd need a pretty good graphics card that could even support that resolution.

As for video editing software, you should probably get whatever you've used before. Or just pick one and stick to it and get used to it. If you don't know which one, you should probably research that yourself. If you're not going to do anything fancy you probably wouldn't need anything like Final Cut or Premier. There are a lot of free or cheap alternatives if you don't need all the features.

Making a hobby video/photo editing computer... you could upgrade your gaming computer and move all the parts you've upgraded to your editing computer. You don't have spare parts laying around? Or do you want to build a somewhat professional grade workstation?

·
Registered
972 Posts
YW... 32" monitors aren't as bad as I thought they would be price wise. Have you considered multiple monitors? I'm using a 27" center with a 20" dell on either side. Nothing like 3 montors for multitasking... Have you on the center here, while benge watching "Dexter" (again) on my left, and playing COC on a android emulator on my right....
biggrin.gif

btw, I generally use a single monitor preset when gaming, and then just click the 3 monitor preset when I'm done...

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
Quote:

YW... 32" monitors aren't as bad as I thought they would be price wise. Have you considered multiple monitors? I'm using a 27" center with a 20" dell on either side. Nothing like 3 montors for multitasking... Have you on the center here, while benge watching "Dexter" (again) on my left, and playing COC on a android emulator on my right....
biggrin.gif
That's a nice system you put together for him. Oddly, if that is only for video and photo editing, compare it to his sig rig for gaming.

Maybe he should just build a new gaming rig and move his sig rig for editing.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Quote:

If you're going new, those 4k monitors sure would be nice for photo editing. But then you'd need a pretty good graphics card that could even support that resolution.
I drove a Dell U2815Q 4k monitor with a HD6850 1GB just fine for Adobe and productivity.
When I upgraded to a 760 no issues with heavy Adobe and got the benefit of CUDA acceleration.

Budget 4k workstations are possible if you know where you can sacrifice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

That's a nice system you put together for him. Oddly, if that is only for video and photo editing, compare it to his sig rig for gaming.

Maybe he should just build a new gaming rig and move his sig rig for editing.
I am not building this for myself it's for family members that'll use it for browsing the internet and occasional photo/video editing. Their requirements are a single 32" monitor and the other things I mentioned. Also, they only want new parts.

Would GIMP be fine for basic photo editing?

How about free software for video editing? or would something like Movie Studio be needed?

I feel that Adobe products or Sony Vegas would be too much - both its capabilities and pricing - for just occasional editing.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:

I am not building this for myself it's for family members that'll use it for browsing the internet and occasional photo/video editing. Their requirements are a single 32" monitor and the other things I mentioned. Also, they only want new parts.

Would GIMP be fine for basic photo editing?

How about free software for video editing? or would something like Movie Studio be needed?

I feel that Adobe products or Sony Vegas would be too much - both its capabilities and pricing - for just occasional editing.
Family members huh. Is the 32" because of eye site issues? And are you sure the, I assume still included with windows, microsoft movie studio won't do the trick for video? Just wondering what the user level of expertise is here. I mean, no need for a lot of bells n whistles that will never be used....

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
I'm sure you want to build them a nice system, but the system listed above is way more than they really need. The best monitor you can get, the cheapest box. Add a SSD. For web surfing and some non-commercial media editing, the most important part is that what they look at.

Oddly, because I like to build systems too, I would actually suggest getting the nicest Dell monitor that fits the bill and their cheapest quad core desktop box... Maybe add a $100 SSD.

Sometimes a prefab box is the best route, IMO.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Family members huh. Is the 32" because of eye site issues? And are you sure the, I assume still included with windows, microsoft movie studio won't do the trick for video? Just wondering what the user level of expertise is here. I mean, no need for a lot of bells n whistles that will never be used....
Haha, they just prefer a nice and large monitor. Movie Maker probably will do the trick, Movie Studio just wasn't that expensive, but I haven't compared those two, which I should have. It'll just be simple editing, not sure exactly how/what they'll edit.
Quote:

I'm sure you want to build them a nice system, but the system listed above is way more than they really need. The best monitor you can get, the cheapest box. Add a SSD. For web surfing and some non-commercial media editing, the most important part is that what they look at.

Oddly, because I like to build systems too, I would actually suggest getting the nicest Dell monitor that fits the bill and their cheapest quad core desktop box... Maybe add a $100 SSD.

Sometimes a prefab box is the best route, IMO.
I agree that it should just be a cheap box, SSD for programs/OS and probably a HDD 1-2 TB for storage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts