Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello OCN community!

I noticed newer title games are using close to 4GB. I have $375 left on Ebay giftcard. So I need to buy it from Ebay and it can be priced a little higher than that. The card can be used condition. And should I upgrade my PSU?

Brief Specs:
TridentZ 16GB (2x8GB) 15-15-15-35
Corsair HX 650W
EVGA SSC GTX 960 2GB
Samsung 830

P.S I was using a 290x before the GTX 960

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Reason for switching from a 290x to 960?
I'd go for a 390 on ebay or a 970. If your lucky, you could sell you 960 2GB and get a 4GB and buy another 960 4GB for SLI.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

Reason for switching from a 290x to 960?
I'd go for a 390 on ebay or a 970. If your lucky, you could sell you 960 2GB and get a 4GB and buy another 960 4GB for SLI.
I switched because I was done playing some of the new titles like Witcher 3. On a regular basis I was just playing CS:GO, L4D2, H1z1, Ghost: first assault, and a couple indie games. Sold the 290x back because I thought it would depreciate in value after a few months.

I don't like what I read about SLI. A lot of people say games don't have enough support for multiple GPU. Although I use 2 monitors, I only play on one and I don't play on anything higher than 1080p resolution.

Also is there a reason I should not get a 390x?

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by element72 View Post

I switched because I was done playing some of the new titles like Witcher 3. On a regular basis I was just playing CS:GO, L4D2, H1z1, Ghost: first assault, and a couple indie games. Sold the 290x back because I thought it would depreciate in value after a few months.

I don't like what I read about SLI. A lot of people say games don't have enough support for multiple GPU. Although I use 2 monitors, I only play on one and I don't play on anything higher than 1080p resolution.

Also is there a reason I should not get a 390x?
From what I can see, the 390 and 390x are only on average like10ish frames off each other. No real reason to spend all that extra money for a that kind of boost. If your able to find a 390x in your price range then heck ya! go get it. I just know that you should be able to find 390s in that range fairly easily. If you sell your 960 and the gift card, you could even get a Fury or a 980ti used easy if you look hard enough.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The 390X is only marginally faster than a 390. I'd grab a R9 390 unless your goal is to use all the eBay card, in which case go for the 390X. I think there is a $15 off $75 coupon today which should knock the price down some. Try to grab a model with a good cooler though, like a Sapphire Nitro or similar. Corsair 650W should be fine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Hold for the new video cards on Q2 2 016 otherwise a r9 390x but thats a 290x 8GB
Can you please elaborate? Is it AMD or Nvidia? And are you referring to pascal?

·
PC Enthousiast
465 Posts
Quote:

Hold for the new video cards on Q2 2 016 otherwise a r9 390x but thats a 290x 8GB
The high end cards won't be out until 2017.

So if you can go for a R9 390, you won't regret it.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by element72 View Post

Can you please elaborate? Is it AMD or Nvidia? And are you referring to pascal?
AMD Polaris since it would be released with better performance/dollar.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:

That's 3+ months if you're going for a reference card, longer if you want one with a custom cooler. There's always something new around the corner. I say buy what suits yours needs at the time you're ready to buy.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
If he wants better performance/watt and better architecture,then A 390 isnt a good idea if he has a placeholder like a 960...the next gen of gpus will use 100w+ while being faster

·
Vandelay Industries
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoz View Post

The high end cards won't be out until 2017.

So if you can go for a R9 390, you won't regret it.
I might be wrong here, but from my understanding AMD is set to release the mid-range 1st. Those are set to have similar if not better performance to the 390/x cards. When that happens we should see a price drop on the 390/x cards.

Just my 2 cents, but I'd wait.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I misread, I thought he didn't have a GPU currently. With a GTX 960 waiting a couple months wouldn't be a bad idea.

I believe (just opinion) that Polaris will be Fury/Fury X levels of performance in the $399/$499 price range. While it's a die shrink, it's still GCN architecture. I believe Vega is the new architecture?

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
AMD Polaris is a new iteration of GCN,Polaris 10 is the HD 7970/R9 380X equivalent and Vega 10 is a similar architecture design from Polaris (GCN)is the R9 290X/Fury X equivalent

1 - 14 of 14 Posts