Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been a proud owner of a SAGER laptop for about 2 years now. No issues thus far. Just getting kind of an itch to upgrade internally if possible. I would really like to increase the amount of cooling for the GPU/CPU. Ive tried a lap cooler and so far the one i purchased has kind of been a dump. Really looking for any recommendations as far as upgrading laptops in general. Must haves. DO NOTS. Might be worth trying... Etc.

Thanks for your time.
T Rent

NP8652-s

·
Banned
130 Posts
To cool that beast you would need something like CM Storm 17. You can buy copper pads and line them everywhere it sticks along HSF on the inside but thats as far as uprades go for cooling capacity and will only drop you 3-9c~ more if you get lucky. I would change the TIM and use something like MX4 as that is old by now and maybe change any pads on the GPU

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elaborate TIM? just new thermal paste? and not sure what the pads are for the GPU

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and as far as the CM storm 17 goes. you dont think something with multi fans rather than just 1 180mm fan is more beneficial?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and do you you think the CM storm 15 would be oka or should i go for the 17 for the bigger fan and fan speed dials

·
Registered
701 Posts
As far as TIM use thermal grizzley or gelid extreme. And i tested the whole copper sinks on three different laptops.. Nothing of that worked. If anything it pulled heat in the wrong direction
Coming from Mx4 and going to Grizzley or Gelid will net you more of a drop in temps than the copper sinks. Trust me.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Btw . which cooler did you try ? The coolermaster Notepal U3 is probably going to be my recomendation as you can move the fans around. They blow a decent amout of air. And you can still pack it in your laptop bag by sliding it between it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The thermal pads he spoke of are for were the heatsinks helps desipate heat fromnthe vrms,ram etc to the heatsink. They are precut pads that kinda feel like clay or a moist pad per say. They would probably need changing as well. But need to be cut just like the ones you are replacing. And you need to find out for sure what thickness is required for that particular setup.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cooler Master NotePal X3 is the lap cooler i currently own! Not something i would recommend. maybe try the U3

and great advice on the TIM.

Also, keep in mind that i only have a 15" laptop!

·
Banned
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T rent View Post

Cooler Master NotePal X3 is the lap cooler i currently own! Not something i would recommend. maybe try the U3

and great advice on the TIM.

Also, keep in mind that i only have a 15" laptop!
storm 17 is rated 70cfm+ but either work. as for copper addons you do have to be weary of placement to not effect heat transfer and have it build up but still only 5c variance if any its honestly a shot in the dark depending on setup

I agree on gelid being better than mx4 too its just much more expensive.and besides changing your paste and thermal pads on the 980m there is not much you can do. Look into undervolting the cpu maybe? may be able to shave off 50mv or so

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So as far as cooling there isn't much I can do. Is there any other upgrades/overhauls I could do to improve my top. As I use the HELL out of it daily whether it's work, the wife crafting/designing or gaming!??

·
Banned
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T rent View Post

So as far as cooling there isn't much I can do. Is there any other upgrades/overhauls I could do to improve my top. As I use the HELL out of it daily whether it's work, the wife crafting/designing or gaming!??
hM. Is it still rocking the stock 120gb M.2 drive? you could upgrade that or do raid 0 with another for more speed/storage but it does add more heat.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Memory . What ram are you running in it ?

And aa far as the coper sinks... I have never seen a temp drop from using them.Especially 5c . We tested many different types- thicknesses, shapes. Different locations on the gpu. And after looking back at some pics we tested this on a few sagers, Msi's and Alienwares, not just including the lappys i own.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0045JCFLY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463523953&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=mx4+thermal+paste&dpPl=1&dpID=31H%2BzKu4DEL&ref=plSrch
$7.38
VS---
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002P5W4RU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463523970&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=gelid+gc+extreme
$12.99

I have seen not only from my laptops but others i game with drops of 7-10c alone by usong Gelid over Mx4. And have gotten even better results from the Grizzley.

As far as the laptop cooler the 70cfm is nice. But if his inlets will only allow X amount of air then all that is wasted or blown back around the heatoutputs and dapens the heat from escaping the vents to begin with.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If i can find the screen shots of the temp comparisons i did on TIMS and Pads i'll post it. On the 980m depending on how they have the heat sink set up for Sagers, the pads and TIM alone are worth it to change. If they put the pads along the CPU sink near the processor they wpuld be worth changing out to. Especially given the amount of pressure that are applied to them.
Have also seen from all 3 companys were the pads or a pad was missing from either the gpu or cpu or both. So just for the gits and shiggles if you havent checked that. You may want to lol

·
Banned
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxsti View Post

Memory . What ram are you running in it ?

And aa far as the cooper sinks... I have never seen a temp drop from using them.Especially 5c . We tested many different types- thicknesses, shapes. Different locations on the gpu. And after looking back at some pics we tested this on a few sagers, Msi's and Alienwares, not just including the lappys i own.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0045JCFLY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463523953&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=mx4+thermal+paste&dpPl=1&dpID=31H%2BzKu4DEL&ref=plSrch
$7.38
VS---
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002P5W4RU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463523970&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=gelid+gc+extreme
$12.99

I have seen not only from my laptops but others i game with drops of 7-10c alone by usong Gelid over Mx4. And have gotten even vetter reaults from the Grizzley.

As far as the laptop cooler the 70cfm is nice. But if his inlets will only allow X amount of air then all that is wasted or blown back around the heatoutputs and dapens the heat from escaping the vents to begin with.
sticking on GPU doesn't do much, they are more effective lined along the copper hsf to the fans if case allows it & new thermal tape is usually a must because cheap stuff effects the transfer. I Have a feeling temp diff though has to do with remount or application because usually Gelid and mx4 are within like 4c of each other usually with low pressure mountings

·
Registered
701 Posts
Stacking them on the copper didnt yeild any better results. The only thing i could see working was stacking them on the rad cores or having some type of fan blowing on them. But that would call for a serious mod . Or the bottom plate removed and we even tried that. And because of the exrtra turbulence, it made it worse on the fans already there lol.
As far as low pressure mounting, Say for instance the Gt80 titan GPUs, they have a beafy sink. And are held down with screws going through the sink itself . Not like the ones most comonly found on the cpu which is just a flimsy sink per say with the X style arms that are screwed down. Cpu temp differences on the laptops werent no where near as extreme in drops as the GPUs but Gelid monkey spanked on the GPU lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am definitely gonna try a repaste non the less it's certainly ready for that as its been running hot so it will need it. I will try the new lap pad also!!!

I am running 2x8 Gb Kingston hyperX ram
And yes I believe the m.2 is a whimpy 128 gb SSD.

I do think that is all I can really upgrade without purchasing something new. But no need for that. I have thought deeply about hacking it up and making some serious mods but will refrain from that and will start to piece together a desktop

1 - 18 of 18 Posts