Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice as someone wanting better temps than air can provide for overclocking, but is afraid of moving to a water-based cooling system.

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
Stop being afraid, just make sure you leak test carefully before installation and before powering on the system after installation.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,210 Posts
The best recommendation would be a Swiftech H220-X2, H240-X2 or H320-X2 depending on your budget and case constraints. This will provide you with the advantages of a custom loop, but comes pre-assembled. The EK Predator series is similar, but does cost a bit more.

Don't fall into the CLC trap where you get no better performance than quality air cooling, and the CLCs are far louder.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No budget and I have a full tower Storm Trooper.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at everyone's response, I wanted to avoid AIOs. If I was going to go water, I'd with to do it the right way. I just think it would make me sick to see $2k get destroyed because of 1 drop.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnad View Post

Sounds like you want a kit. I'd recommend EK, best kits imo.
Kits are always a great starting point. Less margin for error in purchases, and everything you need in one box.

EK does make nice kits....sort of. The Performance Series have great components, but include the awful 13/10 tubing and fittings. Replacing it isn't a huge expense, though. Just grab two meters of ZMT (or the tubing of your choice) and the correct size fittings. Oddly, their basic series has ZMT, but less than stellar rad and pump.

The XSPC Photon D5 kits are also very nice. Personally, I think the Photon is a much nicer reservoir. If you put it side by side wit the EK in person, the difference is drastic. But, the Photon is also very large in diameter and may be a problem in the Storm Trooper - which is really challenged in terms of liquid cooling to begin with.

Which brings up another point. You will never hear someone say "the Storm Trooper is water cooling friendly". You may strongly want to consider a case with a newer design. Even something as simple as an $89 Phanteks Pro M Acrylic is world's above the Storm Trooper when liquid is involved.

·
WaterCooler
1,341 Posts
This thread explains how to leak test with air so you don't have to worry about destroying your system. Also, when filling/bleeding the loop, power only the pump so if there is a leak you won't fry your system and you can get it dried out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

Which brings up another point. You will never hear someone say "the Storm Trooper is water cooling friendly". You may strongly want to consider a case with a newer design. Even something as simple as an $89 Phanteks Pro M Acrylic is world's above the Storm Trooper when liquid is involved.
I just put this build together a week ago. This disappoints me lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts