Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a P4 650 3.4Ghz for xmas and i have the option to get a 930 2x3.0Ghz 2x2mb l2 cache is it worth upgrading or not?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it worth it as for the same money i can get 4gb ram or a new case, fan controller, 1gb ram and sound core

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Hmm...

Well, if it was me and I had your system (sig) I would immediately move to 2GB. I would not move to 4GB of ram and at this time I would not purchase a dual core as I am awaiting Conroe for my wife's (LOL) next upgrade. She needs to scroll through her Excel faster I keep telling her
A new case is always nice though

R

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k thanks for the opinions.

I may get 2GB ram.. would like 3gb but it would read in single channel right?

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
As I said to you last night there is little point in switching from a higher clocked single core to a slower clocked dual core.
Plus there are still only a handful of applications that can fully use the processing power of SMP.
I would recommend increasing your memory to a total of 2GB and also purchasing either: A Creative XFi or water cooling.
Increased cache does help but the increase in temperature is very high and thus would require a better heatsink for heat transfer.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know - but i thought it would be good for others thoughts also. Well I was going to get water cooling but i dont know if i want to its so stressful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts