Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really that good with ram and all the details of it(I'm actually pretty clueless) but I need some new RAM for the computer I am building. It will be a A64 3200 on a Neo 2 Platinum motherboard. What would you guys suggest as a good Ram. I want a stick of 1 GB preferably. It would be ok to use just 1 stick right? Or is it better to get 2 sticks of 512 MB? The motherboard has only 4 RAM slots so I was thinking it's better to get the most in one slot that I can. Also I don't want to spend too much. I'm thinking 150 - 200$ range mostly. Maybe more if you guys think that those RAM sticks will be quite a better choice for my system.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by genjaguar
What is dual channel and does it give advantages?
dual channel makes the ram work together both at 64 bit so when they go to 128 bit ( dual channel mode) they effectively push 2x the data. its a good thing i promise

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see so many different versions of pc3200 ram from even the same companies. What is it that makes them all so different from each other? What are the timings and how do they affect the RAM?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read most of the stuff this and other forums have about RAM. It's still sorta hard to figure out. What I'm getting is the lower the timings the better? Like 2-2-2-5 is better than 3-3-3-8?

·
Registered
386 Posts
yes lower the timings the quicker the ram in 1 of the ways, or u could overclock and get more of the memory but the latencys will have to be increased! get the crucial ballistix 2.0cas great i own!

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by genjaguar

I read most of the stuff this and other forums have about RAM. It's still sorta hard to figure out. What I'm getting is the lower the timings the better? Like 2-2-2-5 is better than 3-3-3-8?

You got it right, the lower the better. But you should focus mainly on the first number (CAS Latency) because that's the one that affects peformance the most when it's changed.

Basically it means how many cycles it takes from the moment the system requests something from the ram to the moments it actually gets it for you.

·
Registered
386 Posts
yes if you overclock your ram you have to raise them numbers unless you add more voltage to your ram!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.