Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Overclock community,

I have tried searching on the forums however i have had no luck in finding anything relevant. I also hope i have posted in the right place. I apologise if i havent.

I am currently about to build my first gaming pc. I currently have the following;

Case: Thermaltake verso h15 windowed
HD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2016
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2
And i have a 144hz ultra wide monitor.

I am currently looking at buying the following components:

GPU: GTX 1080ti (second hand preferably an asus ROG strix but will have to see what i can get on a good deal)

CPU: intel 8700k (i have read that more games are utilizing multicores now so it will future proof for a few years)

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
(Looks amazing and at 3000 it should be quite good)

Motherboard: MSI - Z370M GAMING PRO AC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
(Best motherboard i could find for an matx).

Now on to where i need advise.

Regarding cooling and the PSU.

The 8700k doesnt come with a cooler and i read somewhere that if i watercool i would have to replace the liquid every so often and also i dont want to risk something bad happening and the liquid going all over the electronics.

So i have been looking at air coolers.

I want to save as much money as possible but i also want the cooler to not be too loud and to do its job reliably.

I have looked at the Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler but have read somewhere that it is not good enough for the 8700k cpu.

I have looked at the BE QUIET Dark Rock Pro 4 135 mm Silent Wings Fan CPU Cooler - Black however apparently it may be too big for the case according to new egg.

And same problem apparently with the Noctua NH-D14 and NH-D15.

Can anyone help me choose a CPU cooler that will fit in the case and cool the chip efficiently? And to be reliable and availible in the UK. What are your recommendations on a cpu cooler for this system? I may or may not attempt to overclock the cpu to 4.3 in the future.

Second question; What quiet 120mm case fans should i use for a quiet build for this system?

Third question unrelated to cooling. With all the parts listed above. What is the cheapest PSU that wont break the system? What do you recommend?

I am currently stopping myself from buying everything until the end of july or august 2018 as i have a horrible feeling that if i buy them the new versions will be released a week later and knock the prices down on what i have just bought.

Thank you so much in advance for your consideration and help.

S3R3N

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,206 Posts
Your case has a 155mm limitation on the height of the CPU cooler, and also is limited to two 120mm intake fans (which you are also going to need to get).

For the BQ line, the Dark Rock TF would be your choice over the DRP4. Similar performance, but a different form factor.
In Noctua, you could be looking at the NH-U12S which would fit and do a respectable job of cooling. Or you could look at the NH-C14s, which has similar performance to a D14 in a different form factor.
Thermalright has the Macho 120 line that will fit. @doyll would have more info on that and I'm sure will provide it.
Cryorig has the H7 which would also fit the bill.

I'm partial to the EVGA PSUs built by Superflower, but @shilka has done a bevy of research and testing. Check his threads for a ton of PSU info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your case has a 155mm limitation on the height of the CPU cooler, and also is limited to two 120mm intake fans (which you are also going to need to get).

For the BQ line, the Dark Rock TF would be your choice over the DRP4. Similar performance, but a different form factor.
In Noctua, you could be looking at the NH-U12S which would fit and do a respectable job of cooling. Or you could look at the NH-C14s, which has similar performance to a D14 in a different form factor.
Thermalright has the Macho 120 line that will fit. @doyll would have more info on that and I'm sure will provide it.
Cryorig has the H7 which would also fit the bill.

I'm partial to the EVGA PSUs built by Superflower, but @shilka has done a bevy of research and testing. Check his threads for a ton of PSU info.
@ciarlatano Thank you for your input. Ill look into your advice. 🙂

S3R3N

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello @shilka, I have been informed that you are the PSU Guru of the overclock forums. Would you be able to help me out? what would you recommend PSU wise for the above build? Including recommended wattage.

Thank you in advance for your consideration and input.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Dear Overclock community,

Regarding cooling and the PSU.
Hi Seren, and welcome to OCN.

1. Those big coolers are indeed not going to fit, here are some I'd recommend that should fit just fine:
Thermalright Macho 120 SBM, available from £39
Scythe Mugen 5, available from £39
Scythe Fuma, available from £43

2. Which fan is going to depend on your budget, if you just want something decent that works well enough there's the Arctic F12 PWM for about £4 each. If you want something really good there's the be quiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM, but they're at least £17 each.

3. The Corsair Vengeance 550M or Corsair CX550M are both pretty cheap but well build units, available from about £58.

Places where to buy at these prices can be found on Skinflint

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I'd get a 650w Seasonic Focus Gold, he'll probably recommend that or the 550w but if you plan on overclocking you'll be right on the edge of 550w. The CPU can pull 200w plus and the GPU can pull 300w in some cases assuming both get OC'd.
I'm not clear on your overclocking plans, you said you may try to OC to 4.3 but that's the stock all-core speed of the CPU. If you use your board's MCE it will do 4.7 with one click.
If you do plan on overclocking the board you picked is only 8 phase which will get pretty warm at 1.3v and likely be less stable than a better VRM. The ASRock z370m Pro4 is 10 phase and only costs $110 which is a great deal IMO.
You may not really care about overclocking now but even today there are games (especially at 144fps) that can cripple an 8700k so preparing for the future OCs is a good idea.
I also like the NH-C14s but would wait for doyll before buying one. Many of these smaller coolers will be fine on a stock 8700k but the CPU will need to be delidded to safely OC the snot out of it. I never thought I'd delid my CPU but I caved after only a month or two, the garbage TIM is really bad.
As for ram unless you're going for something with the heatspreaders you can just get the cheapest 16Gb kit for 3200Mhz, that's where the best performance per dollar is.

EDIT: Intel does have an 8 core CPU coming out later in the year and the new GPU's will also be released later this year so it's not a bad idea to wait. Rumor has it, the 8 core will be soldered so no need for delid. Buying a used 1080ti isn't a bad idea IMO.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,206 Posts
Hi Seren, and welcome to OCN.

1. Those big coolers are indeed not going to fit, here are some I'd recommend that should fit just fine:
Thermalright Macho 120 SBM, available from £39
Scythe Mugen 5, available from £39
Scythe Fuma, available from £43

2. Which fan is going to depend on your budget, if you just want something decent that works well enough there's the Arctic F12 PWM for about £4 each. If you want something really good there's the be quiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM, but they're at least £17 each.

3. The Corsair Vengeance 550M or Corsair CX550M are both pretty cheap but well build units, available from about £58.

Places where to buy at these prices can be found on Skinflint
I always forget about Scythe. :doh:

Good suggestions.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,831 Posts
Seasonic Foucs Plus series are a very good option without breaking the bank but there are both cheaper as well as more expensive options

If you want to go cheaper which i don't recommend unless you have no other option there is the Corsair CX and Vengeance series
More expensive and there is the Seasonic Prime Ultra series

Dont care about EVGA anymore they are making themselves more and more irrelevant by overflooding the market with almost nothing but mediocrity and i dislike companies that do that
Thats why i wont recommend EVGA anymore they have more bad then good stuff now so they are becoming more and more irrelevant on the PSU market

Thermaltake is guilty of doing exactly the same thing so its not just EVGA i am criticizing here
As for the amount of wattage you dont need more than 550-650 watts for a single GPU setup

·
Linux Lobbyist
320 Posts
For case fans Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM are a good option if u can find them at around 12-13 pounds. Otherwise, if you're tough on money, i second the Arctic F12 PWM suggestion.
The mentioned be quiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM (1450rpm) are definitely the best option.

For PSU, i also agree with seasonic focus plus 650w gold or platinum, or if you ned to go cheaper corsair vengeance 650m if you can find it for 25 pounds or less than the seasonic gold.

one of the 3 CPU coolers @Gilles3000 listed is your best option as well.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You could put an all-in-one water cooler in there, You don't have to replace the Liquid in those.
Any good brand 650W will be plenty, I like corsair or evga.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,831 Posts
You could put an all-in-one water cooler in there, You don't have to replace the Liquid in those.
First off the none of the CLC coolers are all that geat unless you go 280mm or bigger and in that case you are paying so much you might as well go with custom liquid cooling
Second the liquid will evaporate over time and since you cant refill you will need to replace the whole cooler

Here are a number of reasons why you should not buy a CLC cooler
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-...y-you-should-probably-not-buy-clc-cooler.html

And last dont recommend a brand when it comes to PSU´s as first most of them dont make any of the units they sell and second every brand has crap even Corsair and especially EVGA
Advice like that is not helpful at all its pseudo advice that will more often then not will backfire and will end someone up with a crappy PSU even if its from a big name brand

Go by individual models not by brand

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
Most AIOs are CLC and while they need coolant serviced / topped up just liken any other liquid cooling system they have no way of doing it. They are made to last a couple years and die. Yeah, a couple years of hard use is when their coolant level gets low and / or pump locks up / wears out.

As for PSU 'any good brand' becomes a joke when Corsair is consider a 'good brand'.

·
Linux Lobbyist
320 Posts
I didn't notice that there's ok priced Phanteks PH-F120MP as well, as long as you can also find one of them for about 11-13 pounds that's a better buy that the new noctua

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
I didn't notice that there's ok priced Phanteks PH-F120MP as well, as long as you can also find one of them for about 11-13 pounds that's a better buy that the new noctua
Is £16.26 for a 2-pack good enough pricing for PH-F120MP? only a couple packs left.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/two-...120mm-fan-radiator-performance-bu-002-pt.html

3-pack is £26.00
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/thre...120mm-fan-radiator-performance-bu-001-pt.html

Singles are £10.99
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=ph-f120mp

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,206 Posts
Most AIOs are CLC and while they need coolant serviced / topped up just liken any other liquid cooling system they have no way of doing it. They are made to last a couple years and die. Yeah, a couple years of hard use is when their coolant level gets low and / or pump locks up / wears out.

As for PSU 'any good brand' becomes a joke when Corsair is consider a 'good brand'.
This is how some people put rigs together, which is why you see rigs with CLCs and bad PSUs all the time, as well as people discussing which CLC is better while talking about the same Asetek with different logos.

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts

This is how some people put rigs together, which is why you see rigs with CLCs and bad PSUs all the time, as well as people discussing which CLC is better while talking about the same Asetek with different logos.
I have a list of 114 different AIOs and CLCs. 51 of them are Asetek OEM. Of 24 branded Corsair, 15 are Asetek OEM and 3 are CoolIT OEM.

24 of those OEMs sell under their own name; Alphacool, Cooler Master, Swiftech and maybe DeepCool, With Alpacool and Swiftech being AIOs that are not CLCs. In this group we have Fractal Design Kelvin and be quiet! Silent Loop OEM by Alpacool. As for customer support I know be quiet! is good. I have no recent experience with the others. Swiftech used to be good while Alphacool has a history poor customer support.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone for replying so quickly.

Just want to mention i made a mistake regarding my monitor. Its not a 144hz. I looked it up again amd it is a 29" LG 29EA93 it has 90Khz h scanning and 75Hz V scanning so i think it would be classed as a 75hz? I may be wrong again.
@ckoons1 had mentioned that if i get a 8700k i would need to delid. Any opinions on this? I dont really want to be deliding.

Regarding the PSU the majority of you reccomend getting a 650W Seasonic Focus Gold so thats what I shall get Thank you @white_owl and @shilka.
@whiteOwl if 3200 is the best price to performance for RAM then ill get the G.Skill Tridentz RGB 3200 as this RAM looks so nice.

Regarding the CPU cooler i am more towards the notion of getting the NH-C14s now as it has been mentioned a few times now what do you think @doyll ?

Regarding the case fans. The Thermaltake versa H15 comes with one 120mm fan standard and has room for
An additional 2×120mm intake fans as well as 2×120mm exhaust fans and has room for a 240mm radiator liquid cooling system however from what ive heard i am still against liquid cooling because of the maintenance aspect and potential of disaster.

I was looking at getting the Be quiet silent wings 3 PWM for the case fans until you guys mentioned the phanteks PH-F120MP. The phanteks seem to be cheaper and not that much different so i might get 3 of these. Unless you reccomend i get 4?

Regarding the Motherboard, @whiteowl reccomended getting the ASRock z370M pro 4 which is cheaper and better for ocing. I would love to get 4.9 or 5 ghz but I think with my budget that wouldnt be possible. Any other opinions on using the Asrock instead of the msi as im now aiming towards the asrock.

Doing some more research I have found that the i3 8350k can be oc'ed to 5ghz and has 4 cores and multi threading and is quite abit cheaper than the i7 8700k. This pc will be solely for gaming and maybe streaming. I have seen FPS to be very close between the 2 chips on quite a few games. Might be enough for my needs. But it is depending on how much everything drops in price in the next few months. If my budget allows ill get the i7 otherwise the i3 might be enough? Might prevent needing to delid?
Thoughts?

Just a summary of the current potential build.

CPU: i7 8700k/i3 8350k
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-C14s
GPU: 1080ti ( will be getting really cheap soon due to new 1180 coming out)
Motherboard: Asrock Z370M Pro 4
RAM: 2× 8Gb G.Skillz Tridentz RGB 3200
PSU: 650W Seasonics focus Gold
Case fans: additional 3 or 4 phanteks PH-F120MP

Case: Thermaltake versa H15 windowed
HDD: 2TB seagate Barracuda.
HDD2: 1TB seagate Barracuda.

Thank you once again for all of your helpful advice. Its not everyday you find such a nice community online.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Thank you everyone for replying so quickly.

CPU: i7 8700k/i3 8350k
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-C14s
GPU: 1080ti ( will be getting really cheap soon due to new 1180 coming out)
Motherboard: Asrock Z370M Pro 4
RAM: 2× 8Gb G.Skillz Tridentz RGB 3200
PSU: 650W Seasonics focus Gold
Case fans: additional 3 or 4 phanteks PH-F120MP

Case: Thermaltake versa H15 windowed
HDD: 2TB seagate Barracuda.
HDD2: 1TB seagate Barracuda.

Thank you once again for all of your helpful advice. Its not everyday you find such a nice community online.
CPU: If its for gaming I'd rather get the 8600K over the 8700K

CPU Cooler: I personally am not a huge fan of downdraft coolers, they disturb airflow too much in a front to back airflow config. I'd stick with one of the coolers I mentioned earlier.

GPU: Honestly, why bother with getting a 1080ti with a 1080UW 75Hz monitor? You'd be good for a few years with a 1070. Prices are most likely not going to drop as much as you think either. Or you could upgrade to a high refresh rate and/or high resolution monitor.

Ram: Go for 16GB instead. Drop the RGB if its out of price range.

Case: Tbh, with the kind of system you're looking to build, why not just get something better? Kind of ridiculous to stuff such an expensive system in a cheapo case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
CPU: If its for gaming I'd rather get the 8600K over the 8700K

CPU Cooler: I personally am not a huge fan of downdraft coolers, they disturb airflow too much in a front to back airflow config. I'd stick with one of the coolers I mentioned earlier.

GPU: Honestly, why bother with getting a 1080ti with a 1080UW 75Hz monitor? You'd be good for a few years with a 1070. Prices are most likely not going to drop as much as you think either. Or you could upgrade to a high refresh rate and/or high resolution monitor.

Ram: Go for 16GB instead. Drop the RGB if its out of price range.

Case: Tbh, with the kind of system you're looking to build, why not just get something better? Kind of ridiculous to stuff such an expensive system in a cheapo case.
Update// I have just purchased the Mugen 5 cp7 cooler as well as 4 phantek case fans and thermal grizzly kryonaut thermal paste

8600k eh... for the extra threads however cheaper than 8700k? Isnt it a 3.7ghz standard though?

GPU wise the 1080ti will enable me to game on near max/max settings on all the games that are gpu heavy. Also the screen resolution is 2560x1080 so will need more oomf than if ot was just a 1080p monitor. I also have a 75inch 4k tv close to the pc desk that i may plug into now and again when i want to play with a xbox one controller on the couch (i prefer some games using a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse). A 1070 is sinilar to a xbox one and one of the reasons why im building a gaming pc is so i can get better graphics so if i use a 1070 or 1070ti it doesnt justify spending all the money to get what i already have. Also i just sold my gaming laptop that had a 1070 equivalent. I also may get a higher refresh rate monitor in the future.

RAM wise i am getting 16gb but in 2 8gb ram cards as i heard its better than getting a single 16gb card.

Case wise, when i bought the case it was to recase a pc i bought second hand for my fiance because it came with a horrible looking case. However she never uses it so im going to repurpose it. I also dont want to spend more money on a case when i can just use the one i have without messing around with trying to sell it. Think of it as a sleeper pc haha just like the old bangers you see around that are faster than nissan gtr's.

Thanks for your input 🙂

1 - 20 of 20 Posts